Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the price was £1k cheaper than other cars of similar year/spec.
Car is on 35k, 02 plate
Serviced at home but with no paperwork/receipts.

If it all checked over ok, new pads and discs, new battery, new rad.

The guy always thought he'd keep it forever, so did what was needed but didn't keep reciepts.

Thoughts? Worth a punt? It is cheap. :roll:

·
Registered
83,926 Posts
The over all look and condition of the car would give a good sign as to how well the car has been looked after and serviced if there is no paper work

·
Registered
308 Posts
What did the sellers garage looked like?

A clean, tidy, well organised (and well equipped) work area may indicate the owner looks after their motor regardless of cost.

I apply that theory to second hand bicycles ;)

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Hark said:
If the price was £1k cheaper than other cars of similar year/spec.
Car is on 35k, 02 plate
Serviced at home but with no paperwork/receipts.

If it all checked over ok, new pads and discs, new battery, new rad.

The guy always thought he'd keep it forever, so did what was needed but didn't keep reciepts.

Thoughts? Worth a punt? It is cheap. :roll:
I've never understood a person that doesn't keep a history file.

You know what you are looking at and for so yes if it ticks all the boxes and mileage checks out through the MOTs.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Where did he buy the parts from Matt? If it was the same place every time they may have a record of the part sales :?
Least you'd know then how regular it was done and what was replaced :p
Is it another TT ?

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll check mots so mileage should check out.

Plan to get the car, strip some valuable mods and fit standard parts then resell.

Trying to work out how much of a ball ache that's going to be. I guess only one way to find out. Lol

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chrisj82 said:
cant audi tell you the history from their computer?I bought mine with no history but with a receipt for a new engine with its own little service book just had the run in service a couple of weeks ago.,turbo and clutch a month before i bought it :D
It's not a case of a missing book. It's someone that says they've done it all themself. I guess I can only go on the condition of the car.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Service mine myself, bought it with full dealer history and carried on from there meself, used all dealer parts and have receipts for over a grand, even service my pick up myself and thats hard work :eek: Thats what being an enthusiast is all about in my view , its worth nowt now anyway so who cares :lol:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Have a real good luck around the car, ask questions like what manufacturer brakes etc he has fitted, what brand and spec of oil he uses, what filters etc, it will give you an idea if the car has been cared for or maintained when needed for as cheap as possible.
Another thing I look at are the tyres, a car on 4 matching premium brand tyres will of been cared for better than one on mixed budget brand ones.
Then look at the paintwork, if it's covered in swirls then he has little idea how to clean it properly.

So a car with very little paintwork swirls, 4 matching premium tyres on good alloys with decent parts fitted should be fine, just use a lot of caution and common sense.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Other thing check the colour of the fluids, engine coolant needs to be the proper stuff on them and should be a purple colour, not rusty brown, dip your finger in as the reservoir on mine looks like it is rusty brown, but when the finger is dipped it is the correct stuff.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
If it's cheap and looks in good nick, get an independent inspection. I only buy my cars (apart from rebuild projects) from main dealers as every single time I've bought from an independent dealer or private, I've regretted it :sad:
At least if it's inspected, you have a better chance of some warning of impending disaster!

I bought my TT from an independent car garage and as you can see from my thread, loads needed sorting. I paid rock bottom for it and didn't care about the condition since I only bought it to fix up. Despite this, loads more things came to light than the dealer knew about (or was willing to tell me). I would have been pissed if I bought this as a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If it was in good condition and looked to be well looked after i wouldnt think twice. when buying my last car it was a similar situation was no receipts or anything and was assured that it was well serviced, looking round the car, and driving it, it felt like new how it should have been.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought mine in a similar condition. The guy lived round the corner and could tell it was his pride and joy, his wife cried when we drove away in it. He said his mate did all the work. there was some paperwork but the condition was immaculate, the seats are slightly tired but they can be replaced restored.

We paid £3000 for it, 120k on the clock, a local dealer had one for a higher price, 170k on the clock and the trim was really shoddy - the blue trim seems to fade too. ours was black throughout and silver outside which is great, plus the past owner put some rs4 rims on. My point is we looked around and this felt right to me.

The main checks I did was a vehicle check for accidents and theft etc, gave it a once over, checked for leaks on the driveway, then took it for a spin from cold.

The second thing we did was once bought it - ( he had 4 calls whilst we were paying the deposit with people bum fighting for it!)
was to take it to our local VAG independant garage - CIVS Cardiff - they are great value and service BTW, we paid for a full service and cambelt. it had been MOTed the day we bought it so a ful service was worth it.
My thoughts were if we have problems or dont like it for some strange reason, we can sell it with full MOT and service.

Our only issues so far are that the YAW rate sensor could do with a change - the ESP deactivates once in a while. and the thermal relay that operates the electic windows failed but that was not to expensive.

I also bought a new blank key fob from Ebay for £4 and made good the old key, We couldnt get the cuircuit board off the old back but the rest of the case swapped on an it looks good as new.

Hope this helps.

Betty

1 - 20 of 25 Posts