Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a few posts on cam belts here, so please forgive me for starting another.

I have a 2008 model year 2.0TFSI with a BWA engine.

The "Audi Service Schedule" says the 'toothed belt' needs replacing every 115,000 miles (there is no age alternative).

My TT will be five years old soon and although I last had my car at the Audi dealer less than two weeks ago (and they said nothing then) I have just received a flyer through the post from them saying "it's time for your cam belt to be replaced" and "we recommend you have it replaced every 75,000 miles or every five years - whichever comes first." And adding that they'll do it for £429 - but not saying exactly what they'll do for that.

If anyone has any advice on how I should proceed and, if necessary, exactly what I should have done I would be most grateful.

Also am I right to presume this cam belt is a plastic/rubber one?

And if it fails in use what typically happens (and does it involve a large grinding sound)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and my VAG independent quoted £420 for fitting a 'genuine parts' 'cam belt kit' - which after some interrogation they were able to say included; cam belt, tensioners, rollers and idle pulley. And, this month only, they'll include a free water pump too!

Apparently, it'll take nearly four hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,872 Posts
It's my understanding that Audi AG determines what needs done maintenance wise when you book the car in for a service. Indeed the cam belt is designed to last 115k miles. A special oval sprocket lowers the tension on the belt when it is under the highest stress. That should minimise the wear, hence the long mileage it can last.

What I'm seeing on various forums is that sometimes the belt actually outlasts the small rollers. They start making a squeaking noise at some stage. Then it's time to change the whole lot.

I suppose Audi AG is keeping an eye on these belts as they age. Whenever they think the time is right, they will recommend a change, which can be time or mileage driven.

Now if you want to be on the save side (assuming the mechanic knows what he's doing) and you know you'll drive your car beyond the 115k miles mark anyway, in other words a change will have to be done at some stage anyway, then perhaps now is the time.

I'd recommend changing the water pump and the thermostat too. The old water pump may not be able to cope with the tension of a new belt and will start leaking as a result. The thermostat is a cheap part that might fail at some stage. Now it can be replaced within 10 minutes as they have to drain the cooling system anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TT-driver, thanks for your very helpful reply.

Do you know exactly what they would replace by default?

And exactly what they should replace?

Thanks for the recommendation to add a water pump and a thermostat to the work list.

Should I also assume that they include new anti-freeze coolant in the work/price?

I have no plans to sell the car and therefore take on board your highly logical advice about having work done anyway - although I I'm still between 40-50,000 miles so I don't particularly have a plan to reach 115,000 miles! I am tempted to have it done by Audi - if nothing else they seem to take more care. I took it to an VAG Independent once (delivered spotless) for a brake-fluid change and got it back with brake dust and scuff marks in several places in the cabin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,872 Posts
I'm not sure what the Audi professionals usually replace and what they don't. Often when you see a special offer, the water pump isn't part of the deal.

I'm not changing mine yet, unless Herr Audi instructs me doing so. It has close to 60k miles on the clock and is now 6 years old. Next month is due for a service and a MOT. We'll see what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TT-driver said:
I'm not changing mine yet, unless Herr Audi instructs me doing so. It has close to 60k miles on the clock and is now 6 years old. Next month is due for a service and a MOT. We'll see what they say.
So has Herr Audi not said anything to you about replacing your belt?!

Are you, as they say in Police circles, known to them? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Mine is due - 56 plate with 33k miles, ive been quoted 320 and 350 including water pump from 2 Audi specialist independents - any opinions on if that's a good price or is it worth paying the extra to keep the FASH? Between the cam belt and a service at Audi it's £728, and that's without replacing the water pump! I was hoping for £500 with a service at an independent.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
627 Posts
TT-driver said:
I'm not sure what the Audi professionals usually replace and what they don't. Often when you see a special offer, the water pump isn't part of the deal.

I'm not changing mine yet, unless Herr Audi instructs me doing so. It has close to 60k miles on the clock and is now 6 years old. Next month is due for a service and a MOT. We'll see what they say.
Hi does this count as "Herr Audi" instructing you to do so :wink:

The cambelt is one of the hardest working components in an engine. Made from a rubber based compound that deteriorates with time, it should be replaced in good time to avoid serious engine damage.

Cambelt wear is influenced by a number of factors including time, mileage and various sources of contamination therefore it's essential that it's replaced at recommended intervals.

We recommend that your cambelt is replaced every 5 years or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first*, to ensure optimum safety and performance.

Cambelt replacement is a complex job but by entrusting your car to us you can be confident that the work is being done by experienced Audi Trained Technicians. And if your vehicle is over three years old, visit our Affordable Servicing section for more information about our exclusive fixed price maintenance offers.

From the Audi Uk website owners area

Cheers

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,872 Posts
I'm well aware what Audi says on its website. IMHO the 5 year/75k miles is outdated information. Perhaps still applicable for the mk1 TT (and models of the same age), but not for the MK2. It says 115k miles in the manual, no age advise. I'm sure at some stage Herr Audi will instruct his mechanics to check upon the state of the belt every service. Once signs of wear and tear are visible, it will be replaced.

The cam belt in my MX-5 is still fine. It's 12 years old now, but has done only 30k miles since new. I'm sure Audi's current technical standard will allow for a couple of years more than the indicated 5.

So I just follow what my official dealer says. I'll push him again this year and if he still says 'no replacement due' then no it is.

I am curious though what the actual state of a belt is when it's taken out now. I have yet to see a report on that. At least no-one has posted on any of the forums that I read 'wow that was in the nick of time'.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
627 Posts
Ok, obviously up to you, perhaps it's just the UK dealers trying to get more money out of us gullible Brits because when i asked two seperate Audi dealers they both said 5 years or 75k. :?

Cheers David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,380 Posts
Mack The Knife said:
I know there have been a few posts on cam belts here, so please forgive me for starting another.

I have a 2008 model year 2.0TFSI with a BWA engine.

The "Audi Service Schedule" says the 'toothed belt' needs replacing every 115,000 miles (there is no age alternative).

My TT will be five years old soon and although I last had my car at the Audi dealer less than two weeks ago (and they said nothing then) I have just received a flyer through the post from them saying "it's time for your cam belt to be replaced" and "we recommend you have it replaced every 75,000 miles or every five years - whichever comes first." And adding that they'll do it for £429 - but not saying exactly what they'll do for that.

If anyone has any advice on how I should proceed and, if necessary, exactly what I should have done I would be most grateful.

Also am I right to presume this cam belt is a plastic/rubber one?

And if it fails in use what typically happens (and does it involve a large grinding sound)?
Hi Mack The Knife
My 2007 TT Roadster went in for a cambelt change last week only 20,000 miles but just passed 5 year old.
I was originally quoted £529 for for cambelt,tensioners and water pump however my local dealer had an offer on last month for £399 all in. They also gave me the option of just cambelt without the waterpump at £329. It is always recommended on here to change both at the same time as either of them failing could cause no end of damage [smiley=gossip.gif]

Jamo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
davek9 said:
Hi does this count as "Herr Audi" instructing you to do so :wink:

The cambelt is one of the hardest working components in an engine. Made from a rubber based compound that deteriorates with time, it should be replaced in good time to avoid serious engine damage.

Cambelt wear is influenced by a number of factors including time, mileage and various sources of contamination therefore it's essential that it's replaced at recommended intervals.

We recommend that your cambelt is replaced every 5 years or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first*, to ensure optimum safety and performance.

Cambelt replacement is a complex job but by entrusting your car to us you can be confident that the work is being done by experienced Audi Trained Technicians. And if your vehicle is over three years old, visit our Affordable Servicing section for more information about our exclusive fixed price maintenance offers.

From the Audi Uk website owners area

Cheers

David
Well this is my concern exactly! What does "we recommend" mean?

The wording in the original 'Audi Service Schedule' is different but really no less vague. Sure, for the core '20,000 miles/2 years' elements is says, "Service work required...", but for the 'Additional work' (such as 'replacing toothed belt') isn't truly prescriptive in a classic German manner.

Does Audi's "we recommend" above have any meaning of a mandatory or requirement nature?

What the cynic in me does think is that should a cam belt fail after five years then a good-will remedy from Audi will be harder to find than a straw needle in a haystack in the unilluminated finals of the world's hardest things to find in the world's largest haystack competition (held at midnight on a cloudy, new moon night).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
The cambelt saga is one of the biggest BS issues going, we have in the case of the BWA engine, as rightly posted, 115K miles, Audi UK have suggested 5 years or 75K, nice little earner, and every man and dog in the repair chain loves this.

What I have never seen a logical answer to, is that every manufacturer is quoting different recommendations on this issue, some state clearly 150k miles, no time limit.

I accept that every engine is a different design, but what we are talking about is how many snap and at what mileages.

Most belts are Contis, they keep very quiet on this, naturally as they want to sell them, but a car at 5 years with 33K, please.it is not going to snap.

Now I know after stating that, someone will come along and say theirs did, but if you look at the number in service vs number of reported failures. it's minscule.

So who's had a belt snap and at what miles?

Thats before I start on the obvious shite quality of VAG water pumps...........................how many other manufacturers cars need a bloody water pump at 33k miles or whatever?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
missile said:
every engine is a different design
I have seen them snap on Ford Focus at 60,000 and a Ducati 916 at 16,000 miles.
Well I asked for evidence of snapping and yep will allow the Focus at 60K (had a belt snap on an XR2 at 30K in the 80s myself, but things have moved on)

But will have to disallow the Duke, at 16K thats the equivilent of approx 32 years riding for most 916 owners, so its quite right the belt will have perished away in that time (along with all the electrics too) :p

Primarily my request was who had the mistfortune of a snapped belt on a VAG 2.0T engine and what mileage
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top