Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if any of you can recommend me a good camera detector type gadget for my TT? I want something that can detect vans at the side of roads with the window in the back (SNEAKY B'STARDS) as they seem popular to where I have just moved to! :lol:

Are there any units that combine sat nav in as well?

Im a bit out of touch with these things!

Many thanks,

Ant :p

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
The problem is you need a laser detector, and by the time it goes off there is a very good chance you've been nicked. A garage door opener may help but perverting the course of justice is a criminal rather than civil offense.

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
The problem with the laser ones is that they are line of sight and long range. You can be zapped before you can visually make out there's a van there. They can zap you at great distance and because the laser beam is narrow then any detector has got to be within the diameter of the beam, and if it isn't and the police laser has already reflected back off your number plate or headlights, then it's too late.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
There is a big old unit that I've seen on here, its a US one, cant think of the name, it gets very very good remarks and lots of videos on youtube of how far away it pics up scatter etc... it is usually mounted high, on the roof, looking over the rear view mirror, to pick up radar/laser from further away... its a big old unit, but as far as I know, its the best detector available. Its been talked about on here before... will see if I can find the name

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Valentine 1

Do a youtube search etc, some interesting videos

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
We are talking cross shop here me thinks.

Radar detectors, the likes of the excellent V1 will pick up radar from miles and mailes away on a straight road. Typical Gatso alert is around 30 seconds as they run very weak radar. It also detects laser, with laser you have to be very lucky to get away with speeding.

Laser detectors don't actually detect they disable the return beam so the laser gun user then receives an error rather than your speed. They are illegal to use in the UK.

The V1 is expensive but worth every penny (well, dollar) you will need to pay for it. If you live in the UK then ebay is your only route as Valentine don't sell directly to the UK, or Europe for that matter. If you want to get a V1 off ebay PM me before you buy, I will know if it is worth the money or not, lots of old V1s getting sold on there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys! Just been looking at the valentine! Gonna get my missus's family in canada to see if they can get one as they are visiting soon!

Ant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.