Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic suggests :). In a quandry and have been given an idea to see if any of you lovely flufferlies would be so kind to come and look at my disks, pads and brakes and basically a good look around my brakes for me please. Billericay based. There will be a cuppa tea and a bit of cake in it for you :wink: Read on why :-

Can someone help me with an answer or diagnosis please.

I was driving quite fast this morning (not much over the speed limit but keeping up with the rest of the cars at good breaking distance) and had to brake to slow down to get in the inner lane to go down the slip road off the motorway. My brake pedal only went down so far and not as far down as I am used to it. It was like the pedal had something obstructing it really hard under it and simply would not go right down and help me slow down! I know there is nothing underneath the pedal. Would somebody be able to tell me if my brakes are about to go or what the diagnosis could be?

Put the fear of god up me a bit as I had to drop down in gears to come to a halt. Whilst driving quite slow for the rest of the journey home the brakes felt sort of okish, quite spongey.

Thanks

Abi x

·
Registered
165 Posts
Possibly air in the brake fluid system ?

Audi recommend a brake fluid change every couple of years I believe. Can you recall the last time it was done ?

In terms of Discs/Pads, I bought the brakes from the Group Buy section, titled, "Mintex Xtreme pads Brembo/Zimmerman discs from GSF" - I bought front Discs (Brembo) with Pads (Pagid) and couldnt fault the service and price. It definitely made a difference to the pedal feel.
In saying that however, I would expect a general degredation with your brakes rather than sudden loss of feel/performance.

A good indicator of disc wear is to feel how much of a lip exists at the rim of the brake disc. The bigger the lip the more the wear.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Doesnt sound like they are wearing out, sounds worse! Air lock? Vacuum leak as brakes are done on a vacuum

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went to pick up my 9 year old son from school in it and the brake pedal helped me brake but, when I braked felt like there was grit in the brakes and still felt like something was preventing me from pushing the pedal down more! Grrrr. Can't say I feel happy about this knowing I have children to drive about over easter hols in it.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Abi. Grit got caught in pads? Quite common. Disks got scored?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
go out and have a look at your disc's. Look for scores and deep gouges. Have a look at your pads to and see how much material is left.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dotti said:
Can someone help me with an answer or diagnosis please.

I was driving quite fast this morning (not much over the speed limit but keeping up with the rest of the cars at good breaking distance) and had to brake to slow down to get in the inner lane to go down the slip road off the motorway. My brake pedal only went down so far and not as far down as I am used to it. It was like the pedal had something obstructing it really hard under it and simply would not go right down and help me slow down! I know there is nothing underneath the pedal. Would somebody be able to tell me if my brakes are about to go or what the diagnosis could be?

Put the fear of god up me a bit as I had to drop down in gears to come to a halt. Whilst driving quite slow for the rest of the journey home the brakes felt sort of okish, quite spongey.

Thanks

Abi x[/quot

Get Dean from 4rings to look at it Abi, don't leave brake problems they could get worse.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Id be very surprised if it was grit caught in the pads etc.... they only clear the discs by a fraction of a millimetre when released and to get enough grit to obstruct or hinder the pads efficiency in that gap while driving is nigh on impossible.

Id say, judging by the description, its a leak of vacuum or master cylinder failure.

Sounds to me that the servo isnt doing its bit, especially as the pedal is harder than normal.

If the pedal was soft or was normal with extreme grinding noise from the brakes then id suspect a leak, air in the fluid or pad failure with the latter.

Either way, you need to give it a very good look at and get a professional to have a look round ASAP.

Good luck

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't got a clue where to look on my disks or pads or anything. Thinking of taking it to QuickFit if they are open tomorrow to have a look around the brakes for me.

Thank you for all your kind comments and help - much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Dotti said:
I haven't got a clue where to look on my disks or pads or anything. Thinking of taking it to QuickFit if they are open tomorrow to have a look around the brakes for me.

Thank you for all your kind comments and help - much appreciated.
Id try and send out a 'mayday' on here and see if there is a fellow TT'er and all round kind soul near you to come and give it a butchers before you head for kwikfit....

They might convince you to change yer shocks, pads, tyres and the full exhaust system before fixing it.....

Just a thought..... :roll:

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Now id have thought there would be a tsunami of offers.... especially with a signature like yours and invitation to vigorously flap ones raincoat and get away with it :lol:

Just beware of kwikfit trying to sell you the earth and good luck.

(id pop round but im in Sudan at the mo and i dont have a raincoat either :p )

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
antcole said:
Now id have thought there would be a tsunami of offers.... especially with a signature like yours and invitation to vigorously flap ones raincoat and get away with it :lol:

:lol: :p :oops: Thankyou, I have a raincoat you can borrow! [smiley=whip.gif] well anybody for that fact who wants to check my brakes in the rain - got a brolloy also ;). Sod it, I have a triple garage the car can be checked in infact :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
go anywhere but kwik fit, they will try it on and charge the earth, had a rear cylinder go on our old peugeot, they quoted £300, got it fixed for £50.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Dotti said:
antcole said:

:lol: :p :oops: Thankyou, I have a raincoat you can borrow! [smiley=whip.gif] well anybody for that fact who wants to check my brakes in the rain - got a brolloy also ;). Sod it, I have a triple garage the car can be checked in infact :p
Now that is tempting.... if you can wait 6 weeks.....

Do you have RAC or AA cover?
Just a thought, get them to have a look, it should be ok for you to call them if you suspect a problem surely?

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
antcole said:
Now that is tempting.... if you can wait 6 weeks.....

Do you have RAC or AA cover?
Just a thought, get them to have a look, it should be ok for you to call them if you suspect a problem surely?
6 weeks you say?! I'm sure it would be worth the wait ;).

I have RAC cover :D . The lovely little man was here 2 months ago fitting my beloved ScarleTT with a nice new spangly black battery :p

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hahahaha! Oh you are awful!!..... :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.