Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on every car i have had i could fill the tank to brim and the needle would go past full,or on full and stay there for ages.
on the tts the pump seems to click off really early and you have to dribble the last 2 or 3 quid in,but by the time ive got home(prob 10 miles) the needle is off the full!!!!
and after some fills its not quite on full.
i cant seem to brim the tank as people behind in the queue
will start getting sick of waiting and it occured to me that it could be pissing out somewhere if i try and over fill.
has anyone else come across this?
i no derv frothes up and after the pump has clicked off and fuel settled you can get more in but dint think petrol frothed up as much when filling?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure if you wnated a response to this, but I have noticed the same thing.

I don't try and overfill, but within a few miles following filling up the needle is no longer showing full on my TTS.

I'm possibly a bit iversensitive, as I moved to the TTS from a BMW 325d that always avereaged over 45mpg.

For the record I recently achieved 37mpg on a 340 mile round trip in the TTS, which i was very happy with, but this was very cautious driving, and the cruise control almost always on.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all tts must be the same then?
ive never got anywhere near 37mpg as im to heavy on the gas!!

more like 26-28 short runs.

has anyone actually got it brimmed??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine too but I think its just because its more accurate. My old A3 would stay on full up to 60 miles or so - which cant exactly be right. It would then drop rapidly once you got to the last quarter of a tank. The TT is much more consistent throughout.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Me too! Found this a bit annoying, literally just 3-4 miles will see the needle drop off of the full mark.

Generally I've noticed the gauge is not very linear, seems to move very quickly off of full, then seems to slow down after 3/4 full, then speeds up past 1/4 full.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
It seems to be the same on the TDI, except I drove from Norwich to Crewe yesterday (A11, A14, M1, A50, A500) at an average speed of 61mph (cruise control set at a genuine 72mph) and it showed 655 miles range when I filled her and 490 miles range when I shut her off in the Hotel car park - 52.6mpg indicated :) Over the last 3 weeks I have covered 2155 miles on 4 full tanks plus the half tank the car came with. Given the performance, I'm quite pleased with that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
same problem with my TTS. It seems I can't get the needle to the full mark. With full tank it almost immediatly drops to 7/8 or so but I usually do 200 km before 1/2 mark. perhaps we shoud open another "sagging seats" thread??

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
A sagging needle thread?

I reckon my TT cuts off the pump initially at about the same point as my Golf did, it's just much harder, for some reason, to get any more in. Not a problem for me, though. Milage calculation suggests it's not far off the full 55 litres.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
There's only 1 way to test this and that is by playing fuel gauge chicken. You know the tank has a capacity of 60l, so if you're not getting close to this on fill up, you're not draining your tank far enough :lol:

Most I have managed to get in mine is 58.3l. I managed 40m past the 0 (I have the TDI though)

I always fill mine up brimmers to the point where i can see the fuel sitting at the top, it takes a further 2-3l after the first click.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=148029

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I only half fill my tank at a time. Lasts me a week. No point carrying around all that extra weight...or maybe i'm just uber sad here :oops:

Ps. on my golf I used to be able to drive in excess of 70 miles with the needle still reading full tank.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine stays full for about 40 miles and then just disappears! [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I've had a couple of cars in the past which have been really awkward to fill - continually cutting out. Someone told me to put the pump nozzle in upside down and I've done it ever since with no probs at all. I fill till the first cut-off then leave it at that. The nozzle doesn't go into the tank neck so far which might be the reason this works. Worth a try anyway?

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
OK - a littl ebit of thread necro here, but I have actually managed to FILL my tank last night. In a combination of cool evening temperatures and a slow filler at the local ASDA station, I managed to get the tank properly full.

The projected range isn't too shabby either, although I usually only get about 650 between fills. In practise, not filling up so oftenmakes diesel faster over longer journeys :p

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
It could be a pump thing.. At my regular garage it's fine but at another I needed to use once the pump was clicking off every couple of seconds. And no, it wasn't frustrating at all..... :roll: Oh ok I had to trickle the petrol in to get it to work :x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.