Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps I suspect my fuel pump is on its way out as it will only start on 2nd turn of key no matter how long I crank it for on the first turn.

This has only started recently and a few threads I read suggested it was the pump.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced crank sensor a few months ago Kaz and I did a scan and no codes stored.

Will give the 10 sec trick a try but is this fuel pump related as I suspect I'm losing fuel pressure overnight ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
for me it was immobilizer related.

after I cleared out all my keys in VAGCOM and readded them (including a new transponder chip fob) haven't had it never start the first try.

Does it start everytime if you wait 10 seconds?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers T3rbo thought I'd read that the pump was to blame.

So do I go genuine from TPS £239 + vat ?
A cheapie from Euro £160 ?
Or fit a performance pump under the bonnet somewhere ?

Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toy4two said:
for me it was immobilizer related.

after I cleared out all my keys in VAGCOM and readded them (including a new transponder chip fob) haven't had it never start the first try.

Does it start everytime if you wait 10 seconds?
The immobiliser light always goes off as it should and the ECU will throw up a code if the immo blocks the starting so pretty sure it's not the immo.

Only happens when car is left overnight and will not start on first turn of key no matter how long she cranks for but if I turn key back and then start her she fires right up.

Pretty sure it's fuel pressure related as it only happens when the car is left overnight.

Gonna wait 10-30 secs when I try to start her this morning and see what happens .

Cheers

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Waiting is unlikely to help I think.

EVERY TT will lose fuel pressure in about 30-60 minutes of being parked

When you turn the key in a 1.8t the fuel pump should in that first few seconds prime. (3.2s do it when drivers door is opened)
Can you hear a small buzz from the back seat
That's the best time to try starting because if you had a fast pressure loss then waiting longer will mean pressure may drop by 10 seconds.

Also as the ignition switch should trigger pump priming if that's not being heard perhaps you have a ignition switch problem

You need fuel pressure measuring to review this properly to isolate if it's a fuel problem but see if you can hear the pump priming and it doesn't start with with a quick attempt then perhaps there is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
2nd this problem and turning the key on and hearing the pump run does not effect it at all. Its on every cold start after about 5-6 hours of sitting. New maf, plugs, coils, fuel filter. No more ideas. I do get a code for my map sensor implausible signal every 300 miles but i doubt that is effecting a cold start.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Shit, Third this problem. First time - iffy, second time starts first time every time.

Initially I thought it was a temperature sensor. Went away for what must have been 5 or 6 starts, now it's come back again. Cleaning the fuses (didn't do it so properly with emery cloth just scratched fuses) seemed to help for a bit. Otherwise new VAG coilpacks, iridium plugs so far.

Sigh. Will take the heavy laptop to the car and run a diag.

Not done the wiring harness yet as it looks particularly fiddly even if you had the right tool. Also, would not explain why it works second time.
http://www.psituning.com/product.php/21408/genuine_coilpack_wiring_loom_replacement_1_8t

Also, Slight concern it's the cam adjuster :( But thinking the timing over advanced error I get is because of the problems starting. Only happens after it's had a problem starting.

BTW, if it is a fuel pump, then anyone know:

Is it possible to replace the in-tank with a walbro GSS342 or even a walbro turbine 440lph TT kit.
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALBRO-25...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230c349673
Trying to save cash because I'll soon have replaced every frigging part on this car, and wondering when to stop and sell the bastard thing.

I found a video on vwvortex or somewhere but now cant find. Looked fairly easy to just replace the mechanical bit and the strainer rather than blow 250 quid for the probably less reliable and powerful Volkswagen part.

Other Question is. The 225 has 2 pumps, one main and second for moving fuel around the tank. Do you need to replace both or what? Probably would like to get a diagnosis first.

FORGOT
When I turn the key I get a buzz/noise for 3 seconds (I always thought the pump), but then I hear another noise now which sounds like fuel moving? Been starting after waiting for this second noise to finish and been more successful. Shit, this problem is driving me - fucking nuts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yep. Mines been doing it mostly on for 2 months - 10000 miles.
But I think I might have had 2 problems causing the same issue. So getting a little better maybe?

Also, can I see if the the injectors are adding extra fuel or something or lean running to indicate fueling problems?
And does a non audi pump need any FPR type things? Would be good to get to the RR day, car was going really quick for a couple of days.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bump

Really need help on this please anyone.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do you guys have noticed that it does this with 1/4 tank fuel or less?
Mine did, the pump is bypassing internally when stopped for long period of time so the pulp itself drains out and on start up the pump doesn't prime long enough to fill itself up and pressurize the fuel system.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I thought problem had gone.
Got in car today and it was a bastard to start. Turned it off, turned it on again, second start was fine (although lumpy for a bit)

Only error I sometimes get is an intermittent - Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached

So far.....

Changed plugs (which were really black)
New coil packs.
Checked for leaks (pretty much none apart from a small one somewhere under the air inlet, presumed breather system).
Replaced Forge DV with non leaky OEM!
Changed Temperature Sensor with Beru make.
Found a slight fault with an injector, seems to cause very slight misfire. Awaiting integrated to get back to me still, will call.
Done some road logs and fuel seems to be getting to engine without issues (or so Wak says).

So basically, spent another whole load of money (about 400 quid) and car still wont start.
Spent SOOOOO much getting car to this level (3 times the cost of the car almost), almost everything replaced at least once and mechanics jobs often done twice.

Also seems to have a head gasket type smell, thinking the non-Audi thermostat is not opening properly. Cant see any obvious hose leaks although it's not flippin easy to see. Coolant has lost 2cm in 10k, seems recent anyhow.
Not looked at the timing belt yet or water pump, slightly concerned something might be amiss here as per code. Anyone know if it's easy to take the top cover off and take a peek without the need for strut removal.
Power is down, but was tested before cambelt change 10k miles ago.

Plan of action... Doing myself and I'm not a mechanic as Mechanics make car worse or you need to get same job done up to 3 times. Also, way too much spent on car, and if I mess it up, then it's definitely going to the scrap yard.
Christ, it's only a golf/octavia/leon can't be so hard.

Get New injector/injectors from Integrated engineering.
Fit new thermostat.
Take off throttle body and intake and look for leaks. Hope it's easy to put back and can guess the torque without more expense on buying a torque wrench.
Try and work out how to look at timing belt, just to make sure the water pump is fine.
Replace seal on Temperature sensor (one on right of car).
Fill car with new coolant mixture.

So any other ideas anyone, please :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear All

Appreciate this is an old post, but just in case anyone is reading this as I have in the last weeks.
Have just bought a TT 2001 and was baffled as to why it would only start on the second key turn.

It turns out it's because I wasn't giving the key a chance to deactivate the immobiliser.
So if I now wait a second, wait for key icon on dash to go out, then turn - it now starts first time every time.

Spot the new guy who's never driven an Audi before.

Cheers
ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts