Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv just drove my car home from work so it's been stood all day, at the traffic lights as you pull out it was idleing higher than usual but also pulsing.
I went to drive away (only half throttle) and the car stuttered in 1st and 2nd, quite harshly too. The second time I set off from standing I put the foot down and it didn't do it, the next time I tried half throttle again, and again it stuttered.

I read somewhere something about unplugging the MAF so I pulled over and did that. It did help but I got a light on my dash board. When I got home it plugged it back in while the engine was still running and it changed the tune of the engine, and changed tune when unplugging and plugging it back in again.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi Danny, Looks like you require a new MAF. Unplugged it gives a default setting, which runs abit richer, so unplugging/plugging with engine running will cause a change. Fault alarm should clear after a few restarts/runs.
Hoggy, :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, what effect will it have on the car if I ran with it unplugged?
Also where's the best place to get a new MAF at a reasonable price?

Cheers

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,347 Posts
Hi Danny, Mixture will be rich, so not recommended for long term. EuroCarParts best place/cost.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Rocketr said:
Sounds exactly like mine has started going, idle pulses on mine. Wonder If it could be replaced under the warranty I have?
I think theyre about 90 quid from the dealer on an exchange basis.... im preparing to be shot down in flames as it might be a bit more than that.... :?

Just a thought though, i had similar symptoms on my last 225 TT and it turned out to be a failing N75.... felt like it was running out of fuel at light revs and load...
Although the OP's problem does seem to be a fouled or failing MAF sensor... as Hoggy says, if unplugged it defaults to a rich mixture and obviously runs smoother for the period of the test....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help, I will give it a clean out 1st see if that helps of not I will get a new one from euro car parts.
What it's the N75? Is this the Valve that can be deleted?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Dannymellor said:
Thanks for the help, I will give it a clean out 1st see if that helps of not I will get a new one from euro car parts.
What it's the N75? Is this the Valve that can be deleted?

Cheers
Definitely go with Hoggy and Nicks recommendations etc but for future reference, the N75 sits on the top of the turbo inlet pipe near the back of the engine cover, its a solenoid valve with two small pipes attached and it is connected to the inlet pipe on its tee connection.
Has a small two pin electrical plug connected to it.

Cant delete this one as it controls the waste gate and if faulty can either cause a fluffy wastgate operation, hence the hesitation.

If you google N75, you will get a few photos of it. Easy to find anyway.

Good luck getting it sorted mate

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate, really good advise from everyone.
There is a valve you can delete though isn't there? N275 maybe?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Dannymellor said:
Thanks mate, really good advise from everyone.
There is a valve you can delete though isn't there? N275 maybe?

Cheers
Thats the N249.
Its deleteable but has had mixed responses on whether it is any better with or without... it controls the dump valve at throttle lift off.
Theres many 'how to' guides on here for its removal from the system.
Its located on top of the cam shaft cover underneath the plastic engine cover.

Id get your other bits done first though before trying the N249 delete.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh that sounds like the one,
I will definitely get the problems sorted 1st, and then possibly look into this abit more :)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If you can't get hold of isoproponal you can use carb cleaner...... same instructions like.

Where abouts are you??? If you think you are having grief with your N75 I can send you one to try out as I put J on mine recently, saves you going out and spannering cash when you don't have to :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts