Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to buy cat section for our 2002, 180 quattro coupe.
Spotted this on ebay. Seems rather cheap relative to OEM and even second hand.
Has anyone in here purchased or has experience of this specific item?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If no one has purchased or has experience of this or similar an opinion from the learned brethren would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
'That looks ridiculously cheap and is likely garbage.'

Response from one of the suppliers

Thank you for your message. So the difference is the Approval. By law, the cheaper one is only suitable to fit vehicles registered before March 2001. Any vehicle registered after then, must have an Approved catalytic converter fitted to pass an MOT. It's all to do with the emissions, so the dearer Approved ones are packed internally with precious metals which is what keeps the emissions to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smee, again.
On same subject of Cat.
I've been offered a used but little used Cat. It has come off a 225 that passed an MOT a couple of months ago. So, presumably, the internals are performing sufficiently to keep within acceptable emissions limits.
But, here's the rub - my car is a 180 with ARY engine. Can anyone tell me if the Cat from a 225 will fit a 180?
The Cat back isn't a worry, as I have a 225 twin pipe installed there at present - with a reducer sleeve. I'd just need to get a parallel joint sleeve.
I will go down the new route if necessary but the price of this particular Cat is significantly cheaper, so might be worth a punt.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Smee, again.
On same subject of Cat.
I've been offered a used but little used Cat. It has come off a 225 that passed an MOT a couple of months ago. So, presumably, the internals are performing sufficiently to keep within acceptable emissions limits.
But, here's the rub - my car is a 180 with ARY engine. Can anyone tell me if the Cat from a 225 will fit a 180?
The Cat back isn't a worry, as I have a 225 twin pipe installed there at present - with a reducer sleeve. I'd just need to get a parallel joint sleeve.
I will go down the new route if necessary but the price of this particular Cat is significantly cheaper, so might be worth a punt.
Rectangle Azure Font Material property Circle

Only worry is that the gasket from the downpipe to the Cat is different, which may mean an ARY downpipe won't fit onto an APX or BAM Cat.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 481314

Only worry is that the gasket from the downpipe to the Cat is different, which may mean an ARY downpipe won't fit onto an APX or BAM Cat.
Thank you, David C.
I viewed the gasket 191 253 232 A on Google images. That's the gasket on the Cat I've been offered. Happy days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts