Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The ECS kit contains caliper mounting brackets that are specifically designed for mounting their discs and the Cayenne caliper to the TT.

The ebay calipers will need a set of these mounting brackets in order to be able to fit them to the TT.

I enquired about the cost of replacement discs for the ECS kit and IIRC it was in the region of £350 to £400 a pair

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any ideas if ECS or anyone else would sell those mounting brackets? I didn't really want to run 2 piece discs so if I could get these calipers to mount was then going to hunt for some one piece discs

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Think ECS would sell them. Or try a search for MBT on google or ebay...they are a german company that sell the brackets.

If you go for the Cayenne calipers and the ECS mounting brackets then you'll need to get discs that are the same diameter and the same offset as the ECS ones....oh and that have 5x100 PCD holes.....think this may prove tricky.

The brackets position the caliper relative to the disc diameter,thickness and offset so all these factors have to be taken into consideration.

As you may have gathered...I've done a bit of research into brake kits!!!

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, so things could get a bit complicated...

Which kit did you end up going for? I was looking at the the Brembo GT Kit from the TT shop but then had a chat to Quattronics and so was leaning towards their GT3 kit...

My head is starting to hurt now from looking at brakes :(

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Yeah it does get complicated. Think unless you know what you are doing you are better off get a "ready made" kit. That set-up on pistonheads looks good and i think they might be 340mm R32 discs. If they are R32 discs though I think only OEM discs are available...no aftermarket yet...so still up around £250-£300 a pair.

The ECS kit is supposed to be good and lots of people swear by the Brembo GT kit.

I managed to get a Porsche GT3 set-up from ebay at roughly the same cost as the Brembo GT kit. It came off a TT but still had a few small fitting issues that are hopefully overcome now. They are newer 6 pot GT3 calipers....the pistonhead ones are 4 pots. Mine also have larger discs.

Corey at Quattronics is really up on his brake kits.

Pics of my set up

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pics...

Going back to the Cayenne's for a second. If I am understanding this correctly 12-38 dim will determine how closely the caliper sits to the edge of the disk. The 6-38 dim will determine the offset of the caliper to the disc and therefore the offset.

Any suggestions on what these dims should be so that I could get some discs?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mbt-Carrier-1...ryZ10408QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I can't work out these dimms, and therefore find some discs, think I will go for the gt3 kit...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
rtuffsm said:
Thanks for the pics...

Going back to the Cayenne's for a second. If I am understanding this correctly 12-38 dim will determine how closely the caliper sits to the edge of the disk. The 6-38 dim will determine the offset of the caliper to the disc and therefore the offset.

Any suggestions on what these dims should be so that I could get some discs?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mbt-Carrier-1...ryZ10408QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I can't work out these dimms, and therefore find some discs, think I will go for the gt3 kit...
Sorry...not sure what the 12-38 and 6-38 dims are? Are they off the ECS fitting guide or something?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
ok I think it works like this..those caliper brackets are plain..i.e they need the holes drilled in the correct positions to suit your existing caliper mounts, the upgraded caliper mounts.

(1)the 75-95mm dimensions are the bolt spacings on your existing caliper brackets. These will just be plain drilled holes of a diameter to suit mounting bolts.

(2)the 130-144mm dimension is the bolt spacing on the relevant(cayenne in your case) upgraded calipers. These will be threaded holes.

The above 2 are the easiest to sort out as (1) will be the same as your existing caliper spacing and (2) will be the Porsche caliper spacing.

(3) the 12-38mm dimension will need to be machined(milled would be best) to suit the diameter discs that you use...it controls the "swept area" of the discs by the pads. The bigger the disc...the bigger the dimension needs to be...for example if you used 323mm discs that dimension might be say 15mm...if you were using 380mm discs than the caliper would need to be further out so this dimension may be 38mm.

(4) the 16-38mm dimension will need to be machined dependant on the chosen disc offset and disc thickness. Offset from mounting face to actual disc position will vary and the dimension will need to be machined(milled again) to ensure that the disc sits in the middle of the caliper when it is mounted. There are guide pins on my calipers to help ensure the disc is central.

I'm thinking that (3) and (4) will be the most difficult to work out and can only be done when you know the disc thickness and offset etc. plus you'll need to take wheel clearance and lower suspension component clearance issues into consideration.

I think the above is correct and apologies for the long winded reply. Coey at Quattronics will probably be able to confirm

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a chat to MBT and they can make the brackets for about 300 Euros... With these brackets the calipers will then take the R32 discs (334 x 32), but as you said these still seem to be about 400 a pair.

Think I am going to have to have a chat to Corey on Monday and see where that takes me.

My only concern with the ECS kit is the cost of replacing the discs, but it looks like once you get upto that size of calipers the disc costs are all pretty similar.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
mattyR said:
Yeah it does get complicated. Think unless you know what you are doing you are better off get a "ready made" kit. That set-up on pistonheads looks good and i think they might be 340mm R32 discs. If they are R32 discs though I think only OEM discs are available...no aftermarket yet...so still up around £250-£300 a pair.

The ECS kit is supposed to be good and lots of people swear by the Brembo GT kit.

I managed to get a Porsche GT3 set-up from ebay at roughly the same cost as the Brembo GT kit. It came off a TT but still had a few small fitting issues that are hopefully overcome now. They are newer 6 pot GT3 calipers....the pistonhead ones are 4 pots. Mine also have larger discs.

Pics of my set up

Matt
They look the b***ox, I want some now, bugger why do I look I know I cant help the itch :?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
rtuffsm said:
Had a chat to MBT and they can make the brackets for about 300 Euros... With these brackets the calipers will then take the R32 discs (334 x 32), but as you said these still seem to be about 400 a pair.

Think I am going to have to have a chat to Corey on Monday and see where that takes me.

My only concern with the ECS kit is the cost of replacing the discs, but it looks like once you get upto that size of calipers the disc costs are all pretty similar.
Yeah thats the trouble with the large disc...especially the 2-piece items. A few people have told me though that because of the size of the discs and the powerful calipers the discs are likely to last quite a while anyways...plus they can be skimmed. Thats what I convinced myself anyway!!!

Only other option would be stepping down to 323mm 1-piece discs but then I don't think the cayenne calipers would fit...you'd need GT3 or Boxster calipers.

Matt

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Stub said:
mattyR said:

Pics of my set up

Matt
They look the b***ox, I want some now, bugger why do I look I know I cant help the itch :?
They do look the part Stu...only they produce enough dust to keep Marjorie Dawes going for a while!!! Dust..dust anyone?? Dust?? :cry:

Time for black wheels I think :wink:

Matt

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Jazz they do. I have the 6 pots with 334mm V6 disks and brackets (They can be brought for £115-200)

Matt, what size disks are they?

·
Registered
489 Posts
i'm looking for a pair of Cayenne front calipers...
if someone know where i should get some for a good price, please let me know... :)

Regards

David

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.