Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am trying to set up a CCTV type camera inside an area in my house and also inside our chicken house. The one inside the house is so I can see what our two dogs get up to throughout the day and also who damages/eats what :lol:

I want to set these up to internet access so I can view the cameras any time, any where. Tim (Jampott) sent me a massive PM ages ago (ie over a year ago) but that was when I subscribed under a different name and cannot find it. Also since then technology will have changed so up to date advise would be much appreciated.

As said, I know it can be done as I know others including Tim have done this. All advice gratefully received :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A bump up the list for u :)

As I'd also like to have a bit of advice on the same topic as my neighbour hood watch team have informed that people are starting to eye up alloy wheels!

Is there a CCTV cam with a sniper feature?;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I purchased one of these:

wired: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/ip-network-c ... /index.htm
wireless: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/networking/i ... /index.htm

You just plug it in to the mains and the network (if wired version) and run the wizard. It sets up all the remote access from panasonics own server which means you don't need to worry about having a dynamic ip.

It can email you pics when it detects motion and comes with software to record 1 camera to a pc (you can upgrade this to up to 4 cameras).

Very impressed easy to install and works well.

I have also setup a dvr for a friend with build in web server. It uses normally cctv cameras. He can check his drive and garden from his work and it emails him when someone walks up it.

http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/IV_AVTECH ... sdeals.htm

does it a bit more but also costs more!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've got a bunch of Panasonic BLC-10/30 and Y-CAM Black cameras around the house. The Panasonics are remotely controllable (but no sound) and the Y-CAM Black works in zero-lux environments (perfect for the garage) as it has a ring of infra-red LEDs around the lens.

They are all accessible from the internet with individual password controlled access, but the cool feature is that they're all setup to email snapshots to my gmail account whenever motion is detected, as well as save to my FTP server.

I also have my phone setup to receive these snapshots so I know instantly whenever somebody walks in front of one when I'm away.

Ideal uses: monitoring the car, the cleaner, and pets (though I don't have any myself I know Jampott uses his for this).

:)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for this regarding what i would need to buy and do. I would install it myself.

I want at least 2 cameras that would record anyone that walks in front of them day and night. The images would have to be clear enough so they coud be used as evidence, hopefully i would never need to use them, but the way society is going you can't be too careful, and if somebody damages my property, I wanna be able to catch them on camera.

I know that I could get a few cameras and run them through a DVR but how could I get the images sent to an e-mail address?
Would I still need a DVR if the images were sent to an e-mail?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Budget would be upto £500 but cheaper would be nice :!:

Any help would be much appreciated :!:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My advice would be to start by looking at the evidential requirements for CCTV from the home office.
There are some fairly stringent things that you need to adhere to in order for the system to be to a standard that is usable in court.

Funnily enough I am having to look into this for work purposes although the use is very very different and certainly wouldn't help unless the target is moving at over 125 MPH (long story).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A copper knocked on my door last week asking if I had seen anything because the guy across the road had both door mirrors ripped off his car. I hadn't but asked if they would take CCTV footage as evidence, and he said as long as you could see the perps face and it was clear it would be OK.

I have been meaning to get CCTV for a while so after the neighbours experience I thought I had better get a move on.

·
Registered
550 Posts
qooqiiu said:
If your planning to install a CCTV camera that looks out onto the street i think you have to put up a sign that says.

CCTV IN OPERATION.

Or something like that. :roll:
Yip, there are lots of regulations about CCTV. As long as it is fixed onto your own property and only views within your own boundary I don't think they count.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Colinthecop said:
qooqiiu said:
If your planning to install a CCTV camera that looks out onto the street i think you have to put up a sign that says.

CCTV IN OPERATION.

Yip, there are lots of regulations about CCTV. As long as it is fixed onto your own property and only views within your own boundary I don't think they count.
I'm hoping neither the chickens or the dogs will sue me :roll:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
RK07 said:
Colinthecop said:
qooqiiu said:

CCTV IN OPERATION.

I'm hoping neither the chickens or the dogs will sue me :roll:
Tut tut tut

Remember they have civil rights too, just like every other bloody pc right on left wing'ist these days!
[smiley=rifle.gif]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.