Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided its time to get the TT re-mapped and after a lot of thinking I have decided to go with Celtic Tuning as I've used them twice in the past and found them very professional, and as I'm not after a custom map I think they are just as good as any other generic mapper only they travel to you.

This time I'm going to try the e-motion. This is a piece of OBD hardware that is also a code scanner tool aswell. This appealed to me because once you have a car mapped, the map is on there unless you pay to have it put back to standard and then you have to pay another £300 (ish) to have your next car re-mapped. With the e-motion I can put my car back to standard to sell it and get Celtic to send me a map for my next car at a discounted price although you do have to fork out £400 in the first place for the unit + 1 map (other maps e.g economy or track day map are an extra £50)

Once I get my car back from the body shop I believe the procedure is to download the map onto the device and then send it electronically down to Celtic HQ. Its then modified just as they would do if they came out and did it. Then they send it back and it gets uploaded to the ECU.

That's the plan anyway so I will report back on whether its any good or not. I think they claim 268 BHP but as always that figure has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,647 Posts
Hope it all goes well Tom and will be interested to see your findings (and your safety logs) ?

As far as I'm concerned there is only Wak worth considering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have VCDS and I've done lots of logs and playing about from posts on here and WAKS page so I think I've got an idea of what to look for and what could potentially blow my engine up once I get the map on.

Unfortunately WAK is too far away to even consider otherwise I probably would after all the good feedback on here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Map was uploaded on Monday and first impressions were very good, car pulled like a train down the country roads and was a pleasure to drive, then things started to go a bit wrong. I noticed when accelerating hard and then instead of letting off the throttle completely but enough to stop accelerating hard the turbo was making a chattering noise like the diverter valve wasn't working. This worried me a little as it probably wasn't doing the turbo any good.

Fearing I had a problem with the N249 I bypassed it but still got the same problem. I also did some logs with VCDS and noticed that the boost was not reaching requested. I think it was asking for around 2500mB but only giving about 2100-225mB ish. Although it still seemed very quick.

I also quickly began to realise at slow speeds and low gears the throttle seemed a bit over sensitive and was driving wasn't very smooth.

Lastly the next day when the engine was cold and I was reversing up my drive to go to work the revs seemed to swing about wildly unless I had a lot more revs on than normal. This seemed to happen everytime the engine was cold and it was subjected to a small amount of load at under 2000rpm.

I'm a bit disappointed really because either the map is rubbish or there's a problem with the car that's made worse by the map. (although car appeared to be running and boosting fine before I put the map on, did a boost leak test not so long ago.)

Looks like its going back to standard and the E-motion sent back. I think with this one I need somebody that knows their way around the 1.8t to map it and iron out any of these problems if they occur again. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
TT-TOM said:
Looks like its going back to standard and the E-motion sent back. I think with this one I need somebody that knows their way around the 1.8t to map it and iron out any of these problems if they occur again. :cry:
The problem with self service maps like this is you do not get the car checked for health and pre-existing issues first, so something which should be fixed, may well go unnoticed, and when remap is flashed on, things can go wrong.. Map of course may get the blame, but my not be the issue (might be of course), but the missing of checks pre map are a key concern I have.

I see so many cars which come in just for remaps, and they are rarely fit for remaps, and need leaks fixing first. Smoke test starts the pre map work, followed by logging before anything is flashed or touched.. Often tired maf's are then seen, and excessive timing pull for std map observed, which then leads to inspecting the charge pipes for oil... and often finding copious amounts of it...

Mail order flash tools dont provide these checks on what are old cars now..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I'm fully aware that the problem may not be and probably isn't the map.

However I did endless logs with VCDS before the re-map, new MAF, coil packs, spark plugs, everything is serviced. Did a boost leak test and fixed a load of small leaks, replaced injector seats and seals and all sorts of investigatory work on the N249 piping and operation etc. etc. I thought the car was running pretty good which is why I took the chance (plus if its not right I'll get my money back anyway so I haven't lost anything)

I've had a word with them and they have suggested a new N75 before I give up, so I'm going to get one ordered and see what happens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
TT-TOM said:
Yea, I'm fully aware that the problem may not be and probably isn't the map.

However I did endless logs with VCDS before the re-map, new MAF, coil packs, spark plugs, everything is serviced. Did a boost leak test and fixed a load of small leaks, replaced injector seats and seals and all sorts of investigatory work on the N249 piping and operation etc. etc. I thought the car was running pretty good which is why I took the chance (plus if its not right I'll get my money back anyway so I haven't lost anything)

I've had a word with them and they have suggested a new N75 before I give up, so I'm going to get one ordered and see what happens
with all due respect, you did "endless logs" and knew what you were looking for?

you have'nt lost anything (if) there's no damage caused from an issue.

its the risk on mail order tuning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
badger5 said:
TT-TOM said:
Yea, I'm fully aware that the problem may not be and probably isn't the map.

However I did endless logs with VCDS before the re-map, new MAF, coil packs, spark plugs, everything is serviced. Did a boost leak test and fixed a load of small leaks, replaced injector seats and seals and all sorts of investigatory work on the N249 piping and operation etc. etc. I thought the car was running pretty good which is why I took the chance (plus if its not right I'll get my money back anyway so I haven't lost anything)

I've had a word with them and they have suggested a new N75 before I give up, so I'm going to get one ordered and see what happens
with all due respect, you did "endless logs" and knew what you were looking for?
When I say VCDS logging, I mean looking for obvious signs that things aren't running right for example air/fuel mixture, lambda voltage, boost pressure etc. etc.

At the end of the day I'm no guru and I only know the basics. I have no doubt somebody with lots of experience could spend a bit of time with the car and tell me what was wrong. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diagnosed a faulty actuator so hopefully when I get this sorted it will have sorted all the issues I've been having with the boost.

I got a shock when I asked the dealer for a new actuator as he wanted to bill me £900 for a new turbo. Looks like a nice Forge actuator is on the cards.

I also find it disgusting that Audi have conned people into getting new turbo's just because they don't sell the actuator separate.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,134 Posts
TT-TOM said:
Diagnosed a faulty actuator so hopefully when I get this sorted it will have sorted all the issues I've been having with the boost.

I got a shock when I asked the dealer for a new actuator as he wanted to bill me £900 for a new turbo. Looks like a nice Forge actuator is on the cards.

I also find it disgusting that Audi have conned people into getting new turbo's just because they don't sell the actuator separate.
I've just typed what you are looking for although fitting costs I don't know.
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content. ... =FMACVAG01
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fitting is free :D I think its possible to do if you take the TIP off. Its only 2 bolts afaik, then set it up on the wastegate with around 3mm of spring tension and away we go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
L33JSA said:
Faulty actuator wouldn't cause revs to rise/fall randomly when cold.
Not at idle, but when the engine is under load when I'm reversing up my drive (slight incline) the turbo is boosting.

All I can do is fix what I know is broken and go from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,607 Posts
TT-TOM said:
L33JSA said:
Faulty actuator wouldn't cause revs to rise/fall randomly when cold.
Not at idle, but when the engine is under load when I'm reversing up my drive (slight incline) the turbo is boosting.

All I can do is fix what I know is broken and go from there.
LOL.....behave....exactly how fast do you reverse up your drive mate? I'd be very surprised if you even managed to produce 1 or 2 psi doing that.......and even if you did why would it cause your engine speed to change....quite simply...it wouldnt.

Have you properly tested your actuator before you forked out on a new one??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
L33JSA said:
TT-TOM said:
L33JSA said:
Faulty actuator wouldn't cause revs to rise/fall randomly when cold.
Not at idle, but when the engine is under load when I'm reversing up my drive (slight incline) the turbo is boosting.

All I can do is fix what I know is broken and go from there.
LOL.....behave....exactly how fast do you reverse up your drive mate? I'd be very surprised if you even managed to produce 1 or 2 psi doing that.......and even if you did why would it cause your engine speed to change....quite simply...it wouldnt.

Have you properly tested your actuator before you forked out on a new one??
Very fast when I'm late for work ;) Your probably right the actuator is unlikely to be causing the rev fluctuations.

Like I said, I'll fix the actuator and take it from there.

The actuator diaphragm is leaking, You can see it with leak detector at a few PSI and at around 10 you can hear it hissing out (stem side)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kprincess said:
Very
Fast
Reversing
Up
Your
Drive?.

Do you work at home then?. :wink:
LOL.

I am now going to point out that my drive descends past my house into my garage. So reversing up my drive would get me to my street, which then would lead me to a main road etc. etc.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top