Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an early 10 reg TDI Sline SE and the Central fans don't seem to work on any fan speed ? The right and left do work as intended. What would I be looking at when troubleshooting ? What are common issues surrounding this ? What would the bill range between for repairing ? Thank you !

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,320 Posts
Hi, By central fan do you mean the heating/climate control fan? if so that fan on the MK2 is well known for seizing up.
Have you checked the fuse? 4 & 16 I believe.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, By central fan do you mean the heating/climate control fan? if so that fan on the MK2 is well known for seizing up.
Have you checked the fuse? 4 & 16 I believe.
Hoggy. :)
Yes that's what I meant 😅 I haven't actually, I'm quite new to owning my own car so apologies for missing basic things to check for.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
There is only one fan in the system. The airflow from it is distributed by flaps in the ducting opening or closing depending on how the controls are set. So, if you are getting airflow out of the two end vents, the fan motor is working and your problem is with the control unit or the flap actuators.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is only one fan in the system. The airflow from it is distributed by flaps in the ducting opening or closing depending on how the controls are set. So, if you are getting airflow out of the two end vents, the fan motor is working and your problem is with the control unit or the flap actuators.
I've read about this but it wasn't explained well enough in the thread I'd found. How would this be resolved ?

·
Registered
487 Posts

How much noise do get from behind the glove box on full pelt? Motor should be q loud - if not as often seems to happen this time of year - lube on the spindle gets cold & stiff - replacements now on ebay for about £50 - suggest remove spray spindle with PTFE lube - give it a spin & reconnect before repositioning see if it works.

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,636 Posts
Good read here -

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I believe you said central fan not working but that left and right were working.
You may have meant the dashboard outlets? As stated above there is only one fan and air distribution to the various outlets is set by the heater / aircon controls forward of the gear shift.
So with the blower fan working and the direction control set to the dash vents you get air from the circular vents at each end, but not the three in the centre? If this is the problem you have then take a look at the bezel surrounding the central vents. These silver surrounds can be rotated through 90 degrees, from closed - fully clockwise. to open, fully anti-clockwise, with an intermediate position midway.
You should also see that the silver vent surrounds have a marker that indicates where they are set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How much noise do get from behind the glove box on full pelt? Motor should be q loud - if not as often seems to happen this time of year - lube on the spindle gets cold & stiff - replacements now on ebay for about £50 - suggest remove spray spindle with PTFE lube - give it a spin & reconnect before repositioning see if it works.
Yes, fans are very audible when on full speed. From what I've read on this thread it seems to be the flaps that direct the air. Thank you though !
I believe you said central fan not working but that left and right were working.
You may have meant the dashboard outlets? As stated above there is only one fan and air distribution to the various outlets is set by the heater / aircon controls forward of the gear shift.
So with the blower fan working and the direction control set to the dash vents you get air from the circular vents at each end, but not the three in the centre? If this is the problem you have then take a look at the bezel surrounding the central vents. These silver surrounds can be rotated through 90 degrees, from closed - fully clockwise. to open, fully anti-clockwise, with an intermediate position midway.
You should also see that the silver vent surrounds have a marker that indicates where they are set.
Thanks for that, I've checked that before hand and no luck, seems to be a more complex issue :(

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
When I turn fan off i can hear very quiet click inside the vents, which I believe is the flaps shutting, if yours doesn't do that then it would suggest that they are not opening to begin with. Like most people are suggesting

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,636 Posts
For specific information on the HVAC system and the vent controls, take a look through this post for the HVAC Workshop Manual and SSP380 where you can find this image -
If fan has been turned off and the vent servos are clicking, an OBDII fault scan should be able to determine if there are any DTCs present, indicating one or more of the flaps is failing and which one.

Font Engineering Diagram Electric blue Auto part

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
And if, during your investigations, you discover what DTC 00003 in the HVAC module means (other than “mechanical fault”) please let us know!

·
Registered
558 Posts
A funny thing I've noticed with mine is that on the Auto setting, there is no noticeable output from the centre vents, but if I twiddle with the fan power and direction knobs (i.e. so the Auto light goes off) I can get them pushing out a good flow of air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts