Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this must be covered somewhere, but i can't find it. I've already checked the manual downloads too, but not being particularly mechanically minded i still can't find a definite answer. i apologise if this has been covered.
earlier this year i bought my Second TT, this time a 2007 MK2 2.0 TFSI roadster which i absolutely love.
anyway, i asked the garage i bought it from (not Audi) to change the timing belt for me, just as a precaution and they said ok, they then phoned me up and said, this car has a chain and does not need maintenance.
I just can't confirm that this is the case and so i'm worrying as it has 72000 miles with no mention of the belt/chain in any of the service history.
can anyone help me out? if it's got a belt, fine i will get it changed asap.

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
1,901 Posts
From what I've read, the MK2 was introduced in 2006 with a choice of a 1.8 liter EA888 motor (Chain) or a 2.0 liter EA113 motor (belt). The 2.0 liter EA888 (chain) wasn't introduced until 2009.

If your car is a 2007 2.0 TFSI I would expect you have a EA113 (belt) engine.

That said, you can't trust anything you read on the web, so your best bet is to find the engine code stamped on your motor (CAWA, CAWB, CBFA, etc) for verification.

·
Registered
2007 2.0 TFSI coupé | metallic silver
7 Posts
Yeah it's a belt on the EA113 2.0 (which yours should be being an 07) and a chain on the EA888 which replaced it in 2010.

Belt and waterpump should both have been done already ideally. It's down as 'toothed belt" in the service manual.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
From what I've read, the MK2 was introduced in 2006 with a choice of a 1.8 liter EA888 motor (Chain) or a 2.0 liter EA113 motor (belt). The 2.0 liter EA888 (chain) wasn't introduced until 2009.
All TT 2.0 AWD (quattro) used timing chain engine. TTS is the only quattro with timing belt engine.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,370 Posts
thanks for the replies chaps,
i will get her booked in for a change and a service :)
Hi, So many confident replies,:confused: let us know the final outcome.
Hoggy.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts