Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All,

I am currently looking at a change in colour on my year 2000 Mark 1 TT. Rather than a full paint job I have been in contact with totally-dynamic in Perth as I am looking at a carbon fibre effect wrap. Since my car is a Roadster and is Olive Green in colour then a change in colour would appear odd unless I changed the soft top colour.

Just wondering if anyone has had to do this at all, or can offer any advice on my options. I figure I could either replace the entire soft top with a black material, or dye my current material the colour needed. Would that be possible. Looking for the best quality at an affordable price so the advice of anyone with any experience in this is sought.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Hi Ian

PM KentishTT (Kevin) as he has a black one available including the frame which makes it so much easier to fit. I know he has it up for a great price too.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Thanks Charlie.

Hi Ian;

I may be able to help if you want a good roof; as Charlie says, I have a black one all as it came off the car fitted to the hood frame so fitting will be much easier. Everything is included, handle, catches - everything!

The price very reasonable - less than half the cost of an aftermarket roof which would be just the fabric which you have to cut your old one off the frame and bond the new one to it and is very labour intensive (I have done the same job on an Alfa - nightmare)!

PM me if the complete OEM Audi roof I have is of interest to you.

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CLEAR!!!! ZAAPPP!!!! HE's ALIVE!!!!

To resurrect this topic. :p

When my soft top arrives can anyone explain to me how I would go about changing old out for new. I have anew frame with soft top attached coming in. Since the roof is electronic, do I need to do anything with the electronics on the car? Is it as simple as unbolting? I really do have no idea and don't want to take the current one off unless I know the other will go on, or its at least a guaranteed dry day so I could get to a garage if something went wrong.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Hi Ian;

There are 2 (perhaps 3) wires to connect from the roof to the car.

I have struggled a bit this weekend, I need to move a car out of the garage before I have enough room to get to where the roof is to remove it to take some photos. Trouble is the car is on axle stands waiting for new front wheel bearings and hubs to go on. I couldn't lift the roof out over the car on my own, it's too heavy :?

I had some bad news this morning so I'm just in at work for half hour to send some meeting cancellations and then going back home to work from home today.

I'll stick the old bearings and hubs back in the MG and get it out of the garage today so I can get to the roof.

Oh how I wish I had a double garage!

Pics hopefully coming to you later today.

Cheers,
K

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok no problem Kevin,

No hurry though, take what time you need, sounds like you have a lot on your plate with more stacking up so if there has been a tragedy then please take some time! Hope all is ok.

Anyway like I said there is no massive hurry ok.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Thanks Ian.

I got it all out and unpacked it all carefully, after moving the old MG.

I have taken photos and have sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
duncs09 said:
Perfect Kev, just reading it now.

Looks good but looks like an ever so slight blueish tint? Or is that just the lighting? Or me being daft! haha.
:)

You're right it does now you have pointed it out but it is just in the photos and could be due to the polarising filter i have fitted to my camera :)

I can confirm that it is a good healthy black and is not faded :wink:

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Hi Ian;

Would you still like it?

If you could let me know please that'd be great as I'll pop it on ebay now that I have photos if you don't.

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gutted to have to say it but yea put it on ebay. Could you send me the link to it though.

My aerial came off my roof the other day in the wind, had the aerial guy out and ended up paying 150 quid to have a freeview one installed and cables ran through my house. Then had to fork out 340 to have my guttering re-done because the wind has semi taken down my rear roof pipe. Only bought the house last month. This is money I was going to be spending on my BMC CDA Induction Kit and my new Soft Top. You could do me a massive favour and have the ebay ending date for Monday morning though. Would that be ok? If I shift about funds then I may use some of the money I have for my full body wrap on my car to get the soft top instead. Don't want to dig to deep into it though.

I'm really not happy right now, it's always one thing after another isn't it. As soon as you think your good for one thing and you can treat yourself something has to go wrong. Just evidence there ain't no god and if there is the barsteward has a sick sense of humour.

:evil:

Sorry Kevin, anyway please send me the ebay link when it goes up, is that

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
No problem Ian, I understand.

I too have had a large amount of expense recently and one thing after another including £8k of medical bills (and rising) not covered by healthcare policies (which also cost money)!

I don't even want to think about the rebuild of part of our house which we just had a quote of £40k for :eek:

Now the TT is misfiring/hesitating badly on acceleration and I still have to fit my coilovers; service and
MOT due soon ......it's all money!

Hence me deciding to sell off bits and pieces to help with funding some of the expenses :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KentishTT said:
No problem Ian, I understand.

I too have had a large amount of expense recently and one thing after another including £8k of medical bills (and rising) not covered by healthcare policies (which also cost money)!

I don't even want to think about the rebuild of part of our house which we just had a quote of £40k for :eek:

Now the TT is misfiring/hesitating badly on acceleration and I still have to fit my coilovers; service and
MOT due soon ......it's all money!

Hence me deciding to sell off bits and pieces to help with funding some of the expenses :)
Wow, 40K on the house? Any chance you can claim through home insurance? 8K of medical bills sounds a nightmare too. I'm in for surgery on Tuesday but it's all NHS, is yours private or something.

Got to say you put my piddly bills in perspective but then again I don't know what you earn or have saved. Wish you luck though.

But yea it is guaranteed that there will always be something else. Luckily my TT hasn't caused me problems at all yet. Booking it in for it's big service, waterpump and cambelt etc, knowing my luck it will go right before it goes in! haha.

Anyway all I am looking at doing is scraping the money together to buy that soft top so we'll see how it goes. Hope things improve for you though.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Don't tempt fate by saying that about your cambelt! :wink:

My TT has been good for 3 years and now it kicks me in the goolies in my hour of need! :lol:

I can hang on for a bit with the roof before popping it on the bay.

Get my alloys sold first :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.