Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my tt is fast becoming a saga :x

I'm almost certain that a coil pack has gone (being diagnosed by myself and a local garage) its certainly not running on all 4 and the sound is very much like other I've found on the web with a coil pack gone.

But here's the strange thing, the check engine light has not come on the dash and even with one of the coil packs unplugged it still didn't come on.

I plugged in my generic obd 2 code scanner and it seems to interface with the ecu but no codes are coming up, in fact I've never had a code come up!

I tried using a vagcom cable from eBay and a laptop and although the cable is found and the port is 'ok' the interface I not working and vcds cannot communicate with it.

So I've looked a little closer and the check engine light does not come on as part of the start up sequence, the other lights abs airbag etc do, is it possible that the engine diagnostics have been disabled in some way?

Is there a way of telling which coil pack has failed other than trail and error? All the plugs look the same colour.

Cheers
Johnq

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Mmmm sounds suspicious.

It has been known for people to cover up the light and put the dash back together.

It sounds to me like your not connecting to the ECU.

Removing a coil pack would def throw 2 fault codes straight away one multiple cylinder miss
fire and another miss fire one for the guilty cylinder. :?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm begginning to think theres more than meets the eye with this car :x

If the obd port is fused would it still power the generic reader? The reader turns on selects the right protocol but just doesn't find any codes. Could it be a dodgy wire or two?

Cheers for the input!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obd port isn't fused but I think the generic reader is just pants, it didn't find any faults on the a6 either even after I disconnected a few bits! The vcds and eBay lead just aren't playing on either car!

Just a red herring I think and either a blanked off or dead bulb in the engine management light :lol:

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,355 Posts
Hi JMH, According to "Bentley" the Data link connector also known as OBD11, has fuses at positions 7 &12..
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi JMH, According to "Bentley" the Data link connector also known as OBD11, has fuses at positions 7 &12..
Hoggy. :D
Thanks hoggy,

I might just run out and double check then, the 7.5amp one was ok but that was the only one I checked.

In a fit of dispair I've just bunged up the car for sale :roll: thinking of cutting my losses for a while and save up again for a spot on tt, I'm hooked on them but I really don't have the time for this one at the moment :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts