Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've read a couple of older posts regarding booster seats and just looking for some upto date info, hopefully without opening a can of worms :eek:

My daughter is fast approaching 6yrs old, she currently has a child car seat (including back support). This seat converts to just a booster seat which she is now starting to use.

I was fortunate enough to have a TT TDi on demo for a few days this week and tried the booster seat in the back. It fits OK and she can sit in it with 2"/3" clearance on the rear windscreen - at the moment !!

My concern is that she may struggle with this booster seat later this year (car is due mid July).

Questions :

1. Has anyone sourced a 'slimline' booster seat or something similiar they can recommend ?

2. I've read threads stating that the TT rear seats are/aren't Group 3 approved - does anyone have a definitive on this ?

Appreciate any feedback anyone can offer [smiley=help.gif]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Once the kids are on booster seats then there only real purpose is to raise them to a height where the seatbelt fits correctly?Mine are 5 and 7 and I found they fitted perfectly without any boosters. I don't know if this is against the law but I felt that raising them would have actually been less safe...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Seems like the TT's back seats are specifically designed for children, since they won't even accommodate anything close to an average sized adult - safest approach seems to be not to use one if you're anywhere close to bumping heads on the glass. If an officer is ticketing you for not using a booster seat which actually endangers the child, I imagine some photos might convince a judge to let this go...

·
6,550 Posts
Ive got an add in page to my brochure which shows children over 130cm (from memory) dont need any booster.

both my 7 and 5 yr go in without problems .

(thankfully !!! :p :p ) had to sell the last one because of them !

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe there was a safety review of unfixed booster seats last year or the year before that concluded they where dangerous and they should be outlawed/banned, there is a campaign by several safety organisations to have them banned (the seat base version that doesnt fix to anything) if I remember correctly the seat base slides forward from under the child and/or twists in an accident or under extreme breaking and the seat belt can then catch children across the throat ! plus other injuries such as the seat belt not then restraining the child and the child gets thrown about under impact.

Which have also done a safety review and concluded the same, they have a video online of the tests - the answer was to make sure you purchase a booster seat that can be Isofixed ( if they are available now? And the car has isofix)

The Britax website can be useful to check out which seat has been ok'd for use in a model of car, against each seat there is a pdf that lists cars approved and the seat position any child seat/booster can be placed in safely.

If in doubt about the height for the rear put the child in the front seat, turn the airbag off and sit the child in an approved seat

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
My 4 yr old and 3 yr old fit in the back without any form of booster seat. Both of them fit perfectly with the normal seatbelt.

For a 5/6yr old, there is definitely no need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.