Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to replace my breather as the current is possibly leaking air into the system after bleeding. Came across various mentions about removing the restrictor within the breather body to improve clutch feel and potentially lengthen clutch life ( seems a real plus given the cost of replacement). Wounding whether anyone has done this or the pros/cons?

Also finally worked out what the conical seals were for in the seals kit - o ring type seal for the slave to breather connector and then the conical one for the master cylinder to breather connection on Mk4 platforms (mk5 and forwards use a second o ring) - all from the ECS breather block instructions (VW-Audi 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block Installation).

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
First time I’ve heard of the delay valve, so will follow this thread with interest :).

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,052 Posts
Hi, Interesting, I wonder if this could be the cause of pedal not always returning fully.
Hoggy. :)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Clutch delay valve was a common delete amongst the bmw e46 hoonigans, if you have ever found fast and smooth gear changes to be an issue it's most probably the cdv interfering with proceedings, it's the round thing that located low on the bulkhead gearbox side with a pipe in and out, a simple brake pipe joiner was the solution to bypass any related niggles.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If it's the clutch damper on the bulkhead i have removed it and have much better clutch feel. Before removing it i was getting a small amount of clutch slip on fast changes when hard on it. Removing it sorted it. It was a new clutch and felt any extra wear was best avoided

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thread suggests that it is designed to slightly slow the release bearing/slave cylinder disengagement - and so slightly delays the pedal return but also means the clutch surfaces are in contact for a little bit longer hence slight increased wear over time. The bore of the hole from the master cylinder side is pretty small, with the damper sat on the slave cylinder side and a larger thick disk with some channels, so a slightly larger volume trying to get back out I guess, so slowed from doing so. Might contribute to it being a pain to bleed the system also - would be a quick swap out but for the bleeding. Have left mine in for now, really just want the clutch back and still hoping it is not the slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Throw in the towel bud the clutch is easy to bleed if you are still struggling with it, remove the moths from your wallet and cough up yeah it's a chunk of folding but try replacing the car for less :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I’m confused now.
That video shows a Mk 7 where the valve is inside the bleeder valve, do our ancient 8Ns have the same arrangement?
Now there’s talk of a bulkhead valve?
It’s something I think that I should do…

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mk1 TT the damper is on the bulkhead, later cars the damper is part of the bleeder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Maybe terminology, not found a damper on the bulkhead, the insert in the breather is the ’clutch delay valve’ as per this:

The new breather I got from Audi parts (part number now 1J0 721 468E) has the insert and the original I took off also has one.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Mk1 TT the damper is on the bulkhead, later cars the damper is part of the bleeder.
Maybe terminology, not found a damper on the bulkhead, the insert in the breather is the ’clutch delay valve’ as per this:

The new breather I got from Audi parts (part number now 1J0 721 468E) has the insert and the original I took off also has one.
Thanks both.
So would it be OK to leave the damper on the bulkhead and just remove the plastic bit from the bleeder valve?
I’m not too fussed on wanting to fiddle with the damper…..

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Is it possible this restriction is designed to protect the slave cylinder from early expiry? Or does it help people to stall less? Surely there's a good reason it was added?

Apparently, just for refinement.... I have my clutch bleeder still out so will look to remove this, from the bleeder valve... it will be difficult to compare as not driven in 10 months, and got a totally different clutch :D I may as well look at that block on the bulk head at the same time..

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The restriction in the bleeder is in other/later cars not the Mk1 TT
The damper is on the bulkhead

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave, it is definitely in the replacement breather I got from Audi last week and in the one I took off (likely the original but cannot guarantee) - mine is a 02 car. Going to look to locate the damper you mention today while I have access to trace the line.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Dave, it is definitely in the replacement breather I got from Audi last week and in the one I took off (likely the original but cannot guarantee) - mine is a 02 car. Going to look to locate the damper you mention today while I have access to trace the line.
When i was getting the micro clutch slip changing gear i looked into the damper removal and at first i found the info of it being in the bleeder, but with further research i found where people had checked the bleeder and there was nothing in it. Maybe yours has been changed for a later one at some point. The removal of the bulk head one is very easy but a standard joint is a bit short and means you have to pull the pipe out of the clip on the inner wing.
I cut and welded two together to get the correct length. Didn't even need to bleed it after as the air came out as i was tightening the ferrules.
Gear changes were much smoother after and no micro clutch slip.
So definitely worth doing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, checked the breather and the one taken off was the B variant, but no idea when that came out. So the damper is the small silver ‘pot’ on the bulkhead behind the TIP? Does that damp both engagement and disengagement of the clutch? This thread (Circular item on clutch line) suggests it is just the disengagement, so I guess I now have that and then the one in the breather also. Will have to see how it goes, as long as the reverse bleed I have just done resolves the clutch pedal feel issue.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I thought Badger TT said that fluid was dripping from bell housing last week... when my slave went on my S3 I was in denial too...:D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The part i removed from 2003 225, It damps the engagement, the replacement link needs to be 43/44mm
Font Auto part Gas Rectangle Cable

1 - 20 of 24 Posts