Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

For the last couple of months i've noticed when driving of first thing in the morning, i hit about 20-25mph and the cat jolts - as if i've suddenley lift my foot of the accelerator. I normally put it in 2nd and continue driving. After a few mins i don't get the problem again. Should i be letting the car warm up before driving off? Any suggestions on what could be causing this ?

Not sure if it's related but I'm aslo getting very poor fuel consumption - about 225 from a full tank!

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Ash
225 03 coupe

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
lashed said:
Hi

For the last couple of months i've noticed when driving of first thing in the morning, i hit about 20-25mph and the cat jolts - as if i've suddenley lift my foot of the accelerator. I normally put it in 2nd and continue driving. After a few mins i don't get the problem again. Should i be letting the car warm up before driving off? Any suggestions on what could be causing this ?

Not sure if it's related but I'm aslo getting very poor fuel consumption - about 225 from a full tank!

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Ash
225 03 coupe
Sorry, haven't got a clue what your problem is, but I do know that you should always drive off straightaway in a car, don't let it idle to warm up first.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
ttsteve said:
Sorry, haven't got a clue what your problem is, but I do know that you should always drive off straightaway in a car, don't let it idle to warm up first.
I didn't know this. What damage can be done?

Ive read reports that suggest a good way of warming up an engine is to rev it up and down the rev range :?:

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,589 Posts
Hi, as ttsteve says not a good idea to let a cold engine tickover. Cold oil give high pressure but flow is low, so less oil gets to top of engine camshaft etc, where stress is high on a slow revving engine. If you can't for any reason drive off straight away, keep engine revs around 1500 rpm.
Hoggy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.