what can this be ? or most likely ?

on cylinder 3
piston?
rings?
valve stems?

thanks

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi, Won't be valve stem seals, Pour a little oil into No 3 cylinder, do a compression test again if compression improved, could be piston rings. If compression not improved, a leaking valve seat or holed piston.
Its a cylinder head off job anyway. [smiley=bigcry.gif]
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,, ye its gonna be a cylinder head job no matter wat i just worry if its piston or rings as it would be more feasible to purchase a second hand engine :/

just thought if anoyone knew of this happening before ect :/ got a mk3 16v now as my daily,, tt in fron yard ready for stripping the head :( big job

and cant even loosten the 3 bolts on the turbo :(

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
before you strip the engine down, you were once able to buy something for Fords that had sticky valves, for the life of me cant remember what it was called, but if you found out the name and bought some you could put some in to the plug hole and it might, if it was the rings that were sticking, free them up.

It was a big problem with Fords a while back with valves and rings sticking and this *liquid* sorted the issues,but for the love of god i cant remember what it was called!?!

Wahts the mileage on the car ?does it have a good service history? any smoke on over run/acceleration?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jamman said:
Could be so many things but all are going to require a strip down :(
Not true...not yet any how :)

Hoggy said:
Hi, Won't be valve stem seals, Pour a little oil into No 3 cylinder, do a compression test again if compression improved, could be piston rings. If compression not improved, a leaking valve seat or holed piston.
Wont be a holed piston with that reading, it would be almost zero

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
st3v3 said:
jamman said:

Hoggy said:
Hi, Could be a small hole/crack. :p :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hoggy said:
st3v3 said:
jamman said:

Hoggy said:
Hi, Could be a small hole/crack. :p :wink: :wink:
smallllllll hole yeah, crack maybe....you sly ol'dog you

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
boo:) said:
is it stop smoke the liquid your on about?
Honestly mate i cant remember im struggling this week-sorry

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jamman said:
st3v3 said:
jamman said:
We will see :wink:
I did say not yet...maybe.... but theres a few more things to try first :wink:

Damm it man stop stalking me, i didnt know i was that loved :p

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Melted piston crown [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:(

still waiting to get the head off,, but uncle has an old toy for sourcing problems,, a vacume gauge,, will help geet a better indication

also tried contacting the previous owner,, no reply and he has been online on edition many times,,, ive spoken to my solicitor and he has said there could well be a case against him and his mates garage,,,, so ive emailed saying this and that (politly) saying that action will be taken ect

if nothing happens i will pay a vistit to his house and i will get answers

ive had to take a loan to get a daily
hes caused me a days work
shit load of stress (pardon my english)
and probably soon to be a very large bill

i havent made a scene about it on edition38 , but if i dont get replys soon i will make a seen aout it and ill make sure that other honest people on the forum understands not to trust this low life!!!

rant over

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
local garage said that this problem would of been noticed months befre it went

and the car is 94k fsh, loads of reciepts, last 3 years he owned the car and has had it stamped and serviced at his mates garage, oil chnges ect and even a cam chain tensioner, when i went to see the car he did list the problems of lil chip on spoiler nd roof paint nd said it was other wise perfect

150 mile trip got there,
the drivers door catches the body
driving home the tracking and wheel balance was beyond out
tax was due and mot next month unlike he said 6!!
failed to tell me about the thermostat as it wd run at 75 and go to 110 in town driving
he said it had the bose system, it did,, but had a 90s pioneer headunit (shite, not even wired in properly)
nd few other nigly bits

ive ceased communication with him now as hes started being aggressive towards me and ive given up,,, he tried accusing me of falsifying the problems and that it was down to a different style of driving to him or his wife (i let the car warm up before driving of, i let it cool down before turning off, i havent even pushed the tt, and i pushed my a3 turbo which was at 160k!! and revod ect and that never had problems

i know i may come out as ott or that i might be in the wrong,, but i just feel like ive been had , ive worked hard to be able to afford this car , and for this to happen within the 3 weeks of ownership is just heart breaking and i just think of the worst possibilities ect

·
Registered
177 Posts
boo:) said:
me again sorry

further knowladge on the car is

turbo is fine...
spark plug on cylinder 3 is black, rest are fine
compression

1=9bar
2=8.5
3=4 !!!!!!!!
4=8.6

what can this be ? or most likely ?

on cylinder 3
piston?
rings?
valve stems?

thanks
Ive just had mine done with the same issue, I had fried a piston and has cost me just shy of £1500. Hope yours isnt the same!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts