Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I was in for an expensive problem when it looked like there was white smoke coming out the exhaust but after a trip to Audi turns out it's just condensation that collects in the exhaust evapourating.

Any other things to look out for in case it's not that. Not using oil or water though and been serviced very regularly?

Cheers

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi, If v/v stem seals, they must be terrible worn as stem seals only cause burning oil on start up & clear soon afterwards.
Hoggy. :D

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi, Could check crank case emission system/pipework for blockage etc causing high crankcase pressure, but that would usually cause some loss of performance, but you state performance all o.k. Suppose it could be turbo oil seals.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My guess is your turbo has had it.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
A valve stem seal lifted off its seat on my previous car and caused intermittent smoke, sometimes quite a lot but never on load and never on cold start up, it ran perfect otherwise, I wasn't constantly topping the oil up though :?
It's worth taking the cam cover off and inspecting them first.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I only really use the car to go to work which is about a mile away, so lots of short journeys for 90% of its usage, and it's using a lot of oil for the total amount of miles its doing. It's only just gone over 70k with full dealer history but it's been running 260+bhp for quite some time so turbo could be coming to the end of its life.

I only really notice the smoke on first start up or when stopped in traffic, I've had a friend follow me and there's no smoke when driving. I did think for a turbo it would be smokey all the time and even more so when under full acceleration?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Mine used to smoke in traffic after pulling away or just blipping the throttle would get a cloud, would get nothing after that until it was ticking over again, I did have my turbo rebuilt when the work was done on the valve stem seals but it wasnt overly worn but was re-conned anyway. Just worth checking the valve stem seals first as its an easy fix if it is the problem, all mine were replaced without removing the head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts