Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
wondering if someone could help

Ive recently purchased a TT which was in need of a service which i have carried out, upon checking coolant it was awful brown and shitty

so decided upon a flush out, set about draining the system this morning by removing the drain tap and flushing with cold water, i even went a step further and took the header tank off and fired water through the hose, i was happy when i eventually got nice clean water back through the overflow pipe, so set about putting it all back together

I followed the guide from this site however encountered a couple of problems

first being that when filling back up with g12, i emptied around 2 litres of g12 into the system and then had no room for water, i couldnt get the level to drop in the header tank with the engine running and heaters onto hot, i eventually drained some out whilst running from the tap, it started frothing a shitty browny crap, and bubbling over, got it to settle and left it roughly on the full mark

now ive been out in the car and it takes a long time for it to warm up even though im getting some decent heat from the blowers, i eventually get it up to 90 and as im driving it rapidly drops and sits on the mark between 50-90, now im no stranger to vag cars having owned a few and i know they usually sit bang on 90 and stay there

Ive tried the 49c trick and as im sat here now its displaying 83degrees on the display and bang on 90 on the dashpod

does anyone know what my fault could be here? maybe a dodgy thermostat?

any help appreciated
thanks
Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Like i say im no stranger but thought it might be best to check, quite concerned about the way it was frothing up though, it was coffee like colour and bubbling over, could the thermostat have rotten and be causing this?

Im presuming someone has mixed coolants and thats why it was shitty brown in colour

the other worry is a HG but ive had no other signs, is there anythinng else i should be looking for? the car is still under a 3 month warrenty from the garage, so if there is anything wrong id like it sorted before that runs out

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
vernam616 said:
Thanks for the reply

Like i say im no stranger but thought it might be best to check, quite concerned about the way it was frothing up though, it was coffee like colour and bubbling over, could the thermostat have rotten and be causing this?

Im presuming someone has mixed coolants and thats why it was shitty brown in colour

the other worry is a HG but ive had no other signs, is there anythinng else i should be looking for? the car is still under a 3 month warrenty from the garage, so if there is anything wrong id like it sorted before that runs out
Probably frothing due to an air lock?

What temp readout do you get on 49c when driving and the temperature is low?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I doubt the termostat would cause it to bubble up like that it may be a mixture of different coolants reacting together . Probably has never been changed . Think when you forced water down there to flush the system it just reacted by frothing.
It you haven't any mayo on the oilcap then doubt it will be hg . Change your stat and temp sensor only about twenty odd quid for both then go from there. If its under warranty these parts may be covered ut doubt very much .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been back out to the car and the 49c almost matchs the reading on the dashpod at idle

dashpod says 90 maybe almost slightly over 90 by about half a mm, and 49c reads 87-85 etc..

this is a photo i have just taken before i restarted the car, i took the cap off and there was a small amount of pressure released and there was the same substance sat on top of the water

Is there anyone local who may be able to help or even replace for me? paid obviously
i am located in Middlesbrough

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi Vernam, Gauge will show 90 anywhere between 82 & 98 on CC Code 49c as it is weighted.
I believe you will have to flush out the whole system properly, remove Rad hoses etc, as looks like a reaction between two antifreezes.
Once thats completed & coolant looks O.K. If temps still low with normal running then probably thermostat requires replacing, a common prob on TTs.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys people

So i shouldnt be worring about HG troubles?

Does anyone know if theres someone local who is reasonably priced and can help out?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The temp reading as hoggy said is weighted but it should also stay they same once warmed up . Get it warm go for a drive . While doing the 49c trick see if it drops then come back as tell us what you got.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
vernam616 said:
So i shouldnt be worring about HG troubles? Thanks again
Hi vernam, Its possible but unusual for a TT to have HG probs.
Get the coolant sorted first, you can't get it sorted with that crap in the system.
If it wasn't like that before you replaced coolant,it must be a coolant reaction.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It will pressurise slightly, I do seriously hope it is simply an airlock, though you had clean water coming out, there will be parts of the engine that when flushing it will not get too, remember you want distiller water with the coolant and do not use any flushing fluids other than water.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I should also mention

The worst scenario is you may have a head gasket gone or a cracked block or sleeve leaking, that is why you have all the rust coloured water,where it was blowing has all gummed up with rusty crap so wasn't bubbling etc, but by flushing it out you have removed that so it is blowing again... I believe they can test to see if you are getting exhaust into the coolant system, as said a worse case scenario... as said this is a worse possible scenario, but felt i should mention it, i had similar on my Supra many moons ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
matty fitz said:
i had something similar with my old m2 golf, Part of the Plastic thermostat housing broke away and got chewed up by the metal water pump, im not saying this is it, but it looks awfually the same. Is the froth slightly thick?
Yes i would say the froth is thick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts