Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter today from the council stating that next doors guttering (council tennant) is in need of repair as its leaking!

They have asked us for half the costs which are £600 plus vat as the part of the guttering thats affected crooses over and connects to our guttering.

Where do i stand?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,234 Posts
Cans see why you should have to pay just tell they you are happy with your guttering and it dose not need changing if they do so they do it at there cost other wise it is your property and they do not have permission to change it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,084 Posts
i think they can actually force the work to be done if it is proved to be your property that is causing a problem. i have council next to me and i have a slight damp issue from a soakaway that is broken and putting all the rainwater direct down into the front of my property as well as next doors. council say it has no budget for this so i have had my own drainage installed around the whole house and sod next door. what is exactly wrong with the drainpipe Kam? any pics as we have several builders on this site that could give an opinion and possibly a price bud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its the guttering on the roof! Theres a leak at one of the joins on there house but to fix it the council say they will have to remove that section and replace it.

The said section connects to my guttering and thats why they said i have to pay half
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,084 Posts
KammyTT said:
Its the guttering on the roof! Theres a leak at one of the joins on there house but to fix it the council say they will have to remove that section and replace it.

The said section connects to my guttering and thats why they said i have to pay half
so let me get this right..........a section of the gutter is leaking and needs sealing? ok......have you a local m8 with an extending ladder three tier ladder and a tube of clear silicone sealant £1.99 put ladders up at leaking area and find leak...........then take said silicone sealant upto gutter leak area and pull trigger and fill leak area with said clear silicone gel............then send council a bill for £199.00 for doing job and saving them £400 in this hard climate...........obe for kam is my view
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But how do i make up an invoice thats official looking?

My uncle said he will do it but hes not a proper builder so wont be able to make put an invoice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,234 Posts
If it is plastic guttering the rubber seal is part of the small jointing piece the long length of gutter should not need replacing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not the plastic type guttering.

Im still sure i shouldnt be paying anything at all :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
£600 + vat!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Letter says i dont have to say yes so not sure what would happen then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Why don't you get a quote from a local builder?

Then you can present that to the council, or just tell them to jog on.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
L0z said:
Why don't you get a quote from a local builder?

Then you can present that to the council, or just tell them to jog on.

L
Jog on sounds like the better option
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Kammy,

where do you live, is it London? As they have different rules to other local authorities!!

You dont say if you live in a block of flats or a house? If you area leaseholder then you will probably need to pay a portion of the costs, the details will be in your lease.

If its a semi or terrace and your guttering is ok why cant they make a connection at the party wall line and just fix their side??

Sounds like they are trying to get you to enter a private contract!! Ask them whats wrong with your guttering and get it fixed yourself, if its all on their property then dont sign anything and ask them to make a new connection at the party wall line.

Pics would be useful. Stu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its aberdeen in scotland.

I have a semi-detached and next door is council owned.

Its just a leaking connection.

Im going to send the letter back and tick the.... I will not be paying half off the costs and see what happens next
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
I wouldn't even send anything back, they will eventually get bored if you dont correspond and just do the repair :p Then if they try to ask you for payment they have done it without your knowledge and trespassed onto your property.

Now if the cause of the leak is on your side its a whole different scenario and you could be charged.

I work for a Yorkshire City Council and we would only charge a private person if it was covered under a lease or if it was their guttering causing a "disrepair" you would give them the oppertunity to fix first before we would enforce the work.

Hope it helps, I'd ignore it personally and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
It's the home owner that is responsible for any and all repairs that directly affect any neighbouring property's . So in this case the council own that property and it's up to them to solve the problem. If their pipes burst next door they would be liable for any and all damage to your property .same for guttering . Tell them if their leak damages your property you will be billing them . All of this is nul and void if your property has any clauses to its ownership that are maintenance related . You will have to check with your solicitor on this matter. But you could get your whole guttering done for about the price the council quoted you. Unless its cast then you can add another 0 to the end . Last time I had to do a cast section it was about £650 for about a 3m stretch with a hopper .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup its cast, the leak isnt on my side so i feel i dont have anything to do with it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,234 Posts
1sttt said:
It's the home owner that is responsible for any and all repairs that directly affect any neighbouring property's . So in this case the council own that property and it's up to them to solve the problem. If their pipes burst next door they would be liable for any and all damage to your property .same for guttering . Tell them if their leak damages your property you will be billing them . All of this is nul and void if your property has any clauses to its ownership that are maintenance related . You will have to check with your solicitor on this matter. But you could get your whole guttering done for about the price the council quoted you. Unless its cast then you can add another 0 to the end . Last time I had to do a cast section it was about £650 for about a 3m stretch with a hopper .
Even if it is cast it would be cheaper to remove the lot and replace with plastic
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top