Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've searched through the various threads on cruise installation and there's no definitive answer as to whether it's possible to self-fit cruise to the new TDi S-tronic.

I've got plenty of experience in fitting cruise to other models and have all the kit (spline bits, wiper pullers, VCDS etc) and my dealer will be happy to update the SVM for me, and the car I've got coming has mfsw so the cruise pins will be on the steering electronics module.

Does anyone know a defintive? I'd imagine that as it's a factory option, then it is possible. When (not if!) it's installed, I should be able to help out other members with their installs if necessary.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
missile said:
It is possible and there are threads on the site detailing how to
I'd be grateful if you could link a thread - I've had a really thorough look and although I can see some pinout instructions for the manual TDi engine, there's no info that I can see for S-tronic versions of the oil burner.

Like I said before, I'd be 99.9% certain that it can be done as it's a factory option and in my experience, if the factory can do it, then it can be retrofitted, sometimes at a lesser cost too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
missile said:
You can buy the parts on eBay and DIY.
Thanks Missile - however, I've got a trade account with TPS, so I'll get the parts from an official channel and probably cheaper than Ebay too, when postage is factored in.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
I could never find CLEAR info about the wire that needs running into the ECU. So am still umming and ahhing about giving Awesome GTI 300 notes and letting them do it. That's if I ever get a straight answer off of them about how long it takes.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I wouldn't give anyone £300 to do it. Shark Performance charged me half that to do mine. It took Ben Wardle about 2 hours on mine because he hadn't done a TT before (this was in March 2010) and I was fussing about the fact the car had done less than 200 miles and it was brand new at the time. He can probably do it in half that time now. Less if you don't watch!

G

·
TBH i don't think £250 is a bad price considering with that you get, the cruise control stalk + 2 hours labour to fit it + 2 years warranty on the work carried out + you don't have to worry about driving to a garage to have the work carried out....they come to you. possibly for an additional charge but if you ask nicely it will be reduced. :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigAardvaark said:
I could never find CLEAR info about the wire that needs running into the ECU. So am still umming and ahhing about giving Awesome GTI 300 notes and letting them do it. That's if I ever get a straight answer off of them about how long it takes.
If I can find out, I'll let you know. Awesome are good guys, but £300 is just too much when parts cost less than £100

Does anyone have the engine and transmission codes for the new TDi S-tronic?

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigAardvaark said:
OK, as promised, pinout info on your wiring from the steering electronics module to the engine ECU:

This is assuming your TT is as per your signature and has engine code BUB and transmission code HXZ.

If the above is true, the single wire goes from pin 13 on the steering control unit to pin 38 on the 81pin connector on the ECU. On factory looms, this wire is a 0.35mm sq. wire (thin) and it's black with a white stripe.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
286 Posts
wja96 said:
I wouldn't give anyone £300 to do it. Shark Performance charged me half that to do mine. It took Ben Wardle about 2 hours on mine because he hadn't done a TT before (this was in March 2010) and I was fussing about the fact the car had done less than 200 miles and it was brand new at the time. He can probably do it in half that time now. Less if you don't watch!
Just for laughs.
I requested a price for retrofitting cruise control to my 2007 2.0tfsi s-tronic at my local Audi dealership.(In Norway)
Parts: 150£
Fitting it: 750£

hmmm..don't think soooo... :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Skipton01 said:
BigAardvaark said:
OK, as promised, pinout info on your wiring from the steering electronics module to the engine ECU:

This is assuming your TT is as per your signature and has engine code BUB and transmission code HXZ.

If the above is true, the single wire goes from pin 13 on the steering control unit to pin 38 on the 81pin connector on the ECU. On factory looms, this wire is a 0.35mm sq. wire (thin) and it's black with a white stripe.

Hope this helps!
Hugely, thanks! What I need now is a photo of what I'm looking for in the engine bay as the Audi dealer "official" instructions are as clear as mud. Isn't the ECU sealed to stop this kind of DIY??

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BigAardvaark said:
Hugely, thanks! What I need now is a photo of what I'm looking for in the engine bay as the Audi dealer "official" instructions are as clear as mud. Isn't the ECU sealed to stop this kind of DIY??
Well, you're welcome.

The ECU isn't sealed as such, but they sit in a metal retainer to stop the plugs being removed to get at the wiring. I've not had a Mk2 TT ECU out yet, but the workshop manual suggests that the larger of the 2 connectors can be removed without having to dismantle the metal retainer cage.

There's 2 plugs that go into the ECU - a smaller one that is connected to the engine/gearbox and is held in place by the metal retainer and a larger plug that goes to the inside of the cabin to the dash/pedal box/steering controllers. You need to remove the wiper arms and then the plenum cover to access the ECU.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm feeling tempted by the DIY now! The parts alone are only about £100......

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as you know how to work with airbags (there's one of the How To guides on here that omit one vital step required for safety) and yu have the correct tools to remove the steering wheel, then there's nothing stopping you from doing a self-install.

One further thing you need is someone with the VCDS kit t carry out the coding after the install, but you now know such a person - me!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
Skipton01 said:
As long as you know how to work with airbags (there's one of the How To guides on here that omit one vital step required for safety) and yu have the correct tools to remove the steering wheel, then there's nothing stopping you from doing a self-install.

One further thing you need is someone with the VCDS kit t carry out the coding after the install, but you now know such a person - me!

Cheers,

Mike
Cheers Mike, I did my previous A4 but there was no messing around in the ECU on that! I've got genuine HEX+CAN so I'm all set there, just need to be brave and get stuck in!! What was the missing safety tip?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BigAardvaark said:
What was the missing safety tip?
You should always disconnect the battery negative terminal before working with airbags. Also, take steps to ensure you are grounded to prevent static electricity build up. So don't do the job whilst wearing a nylon shell suit! :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Skipton01 said:
BigAardvaark said:
What was the missing safety tip?
So don't do the job whilst wearing a nylon shell suit! :lol:
I leave those to the eBay self-adhesive LED DRL crowd ;-)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Parts arriving today, will let you know how I get on [smiley=end.gif]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts