Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I bought some Defi gauges from the "For Sale" section on here. They came with the O-pods and wiring harness but no adapters for the sensors.

I was working in Manchester at the time, so I dropped into Awesome and frankly, they were hopeless. First they made me feel like a cheapskate because I'd bought something used and then they made me feel like an idiot because I didn't know the threads and dimensions of the sensors so they couldn't even order me the adaptors even though they theoretically sell them.

I called Demon Tweeks (who supposedly have a fitting service and sell the adaptors and gauges) and they said "Oh no, that's pretty complicated, we wouldn't want to take that on" and then I tried about 5 other places that you would have thought would do this sort of thing, but no-one wanted to do it.

Eventually, I was moaning about this to Rob at Shark Performance and he said "Why didn't you ask us? We don't just do remaps you know" so I literally threw him the box of bits and was very upset he couldn't fit them there and then. Well, after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing and lots of looking at the pipework under the bonnet he got me in yesterday to get them fitted. Apart from a small hitch with orientation of one of the adapters (which he sorted) he had them in in double quick time and I'm very pleased indeed.

They are pretty unobtrusive when the car is switched off.

They look very much part of the car.

And then when they start up (they do a little dance and a needle sweep) they look very much OEM.

The colour match on the gauges and the needles is excellent.

and it's great fun watch the car over boost then settle in when you accelerate hard and it's really scary seeing how long it takes the oil to come up to temperature (almost 25 miles of normal driving). I wasn't expecting the oil pressure to go up and down with engine load, but apparently that's normal too.

I just wish I'd gone to Shark in the first place and saved my self the effort of messing about with a bunch of folks who just want to sell you something or will only install something new or easy. I'd like to thank Rob and Ben for taking the time to do something a bit out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Good stuff Walter they do indeed look very OEM. Shark sound helpful too. :)

Are these the 1st pics of your car on the forum? Anymore? Would like to see what it looks like with all that bodykit.

G

·
personal opinion very useful if racing it,but for road use can't see the point of removing necessary vents for unecessary extra instruments.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are other pictures. Not many, but then it's basically a TTS lookalike and I got tired of being accused of being a chav for modding my car. The best piccies will be on Detailing World soon from when it was wet-sanded to get rid of the Orange Peel in the paint.

And yes, the Shark guys are very good indeed. They do all the mechanical stuff and they're agents for Milltek, ITG and all the usual VAG tuning suspects. Oddly enough, I think the thing that impressed me most was they were able to walk round the corner and get custom swaged pipework made to measure by a local engineering company. A proper job.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tter said:
personal opinion very useful if racing it,but for road use can't see the point of removing necessary vents for unecessary extra instruments.
The O-pods still allow airflow through the vents. There's no loss of function apart from the fact you can no longer angle the vent. I take your point about the usefulness or otherwise of them in normal driving but I got them dirt cheap for Defi gauges and I think they look great.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Walter, in the time I've been on these forums I find you very helpful and perlite.

I ask also for you to post imagers of your car please. It looks interesting to see from your sig.

Enjoyed the read/story and glad it's all worked out for you.
Now it's all sorted out you know where to go next time :wink: The oil temp is a bit of an eye opener, I thought when the engine temp reads 90 the oil would be just right!

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hark said:
25 miles for the engine oil to get to temperature? :?
For it to stop increasing and finally stabilise, yes. It could be the sensor is slow, but Defi is good quality kit and I have no reason to think it's not accurate.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The liquid gauge does indeed measure all those things, but I can get them through Garmin Ecoroute on the Kenwood headunit.

And there is no way you could argue the liquid gauge looks in any way integrated or OEM.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
They look exelent m8, some say why do you need them, same reason as a map...no reason only personal choice...the liquid is ok but give me a bank of defi anyday,and yes I have had both

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bigsyd said:
They look exelent m8, some say why do you need them, same reason as a map...no reason only personal choice...the liquid is ok but give me a bank of defi anyday,and yes I have had both
Thank you. A compliment from someone like yourself is extremely welcome. 8)

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spaceman10 said:
Nice set up

Looks really good mate.

Bet your pleased

Phil
Thanks for the compliments. I am extremely pleased. I think more so that they're finally in, it was such a nightmare trying to find a workshop that wanted to do it.

Now I just need to get the Recaro Sportster CS seats in and I think that will be pretty much me. Except I'm fairly sure I tasked Mikko from Shark with getting me a new manifold so he could bolt an even bigger turbo on - sort of stage 2.5 (I like to think of it as Hammerhead) and then the bigger injectors are relatively cheap to go the full stage 3 (Great White?) which should see 300bhp reliably at which point I really do think I'll have gone about as far as is possible with a 2.0TDi.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
Looking good my friend love the haters it annoys them even more

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
They look very, very good. I like :) .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.