Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replaster an area maybe 2ft square before I painted the dining room. The plastering was done in 2-3 layers and a nice smooth finish.

Now, despite several attempts, the paint is cracking (not the plaster) on this section. Have tried sanding down and reapplying more coats but after the paint dries I get the same problem!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Are you sure its the paint cracking and not the settling cracks you get with new plaster? You should leave the plaster to dry for a few days before you paint it.

If not try painting the wall with a mix of PVA bond and water first and allowing this to dry totally before applying the paint

Matt

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
As a decorator of 37 years here is what to do. Rub down with med sandpaper. Apply 1 coat of thinned oil based undercoat leave to dry 24 hrs continue to apply emulsion. Job done

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok presume undercoat or pva both do same job of sealing it. Will sand it back and have a go this afternoon. Annoying as rest of the room is finished but thats life init. Thanks for the pointers.

Matt

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
Just had a whole room replastered , i will be giving it a coat of watered down emulsion 50/50. allow to dry fully and then apply emulsion .
Has worked on other jobs before no problems

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.