Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I've got my MOT fast approaching and wondered whether it will pass due a mod i've made. As featured on here before I have inserted an LED strip in through the sidelight and wired it in. Has anyone else with this mod had an MOT? I'm just mindful that if this may cause a problem I'd rather just remove it.

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I doubt it will cause you any problems. If you'd replaced the headlights with xenons and DRLs you could well fall foul come MOT time if your car does't have the auto levelling and headlight washers which are a mandatory requirement for UK cars, but even then you'd be failing on the headlamps rather than the DRLs if that makes sense.

As it is you've simply added DRLs to your car even though they aren't a legal requirement for you, so provided that they're not a dodgy colour other than white you should be fine. Also I assume you've still retained your OEM sidelights , so you've just made an addition to your car which doesn't compromise the legality of your obligatory lights so I'd be very surprised if it proves to be any issue for you at all.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the swift reply. Couple of comments....you can see my existing side lights - although the original bulbs are in place they are hidden within the casing. And....the lights are kinda bluey. I've never had any problems with police but they definetly aint white. Perhaps I should ask Audi when I book it in?

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Not a pop at the OP, but isn't it a bit erm, two faced to remove things for the MOT to then put them back on after.?
Surely if you are worried about the MOT/Legality of something you should do those kind of things (cant see DRLs being an issue - they are just lights).

Just saying...

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I had Honda fail my Civic Type-R on MOT because they judged the sidelight bulbs to be blue. It would be a real stretch to see any blue tinge at all which was negligible IMO, ( they were actually described as bright white) but they changed them to stock bulbs even though they placed my 'blue' bulbs in the glovebox. I might add I hate blue bulbs, so they were being really picky about it.

I suppose it's a bit of a lottery as to who does the MOT test, but if they're obviously blue they're more likely to attract a fail so I'd be inclined to change them.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Well here in the Netherlands the police takes action if a car too clearly ran into a Christmas tree. Remove the fancy bits on the spot or hand in your registration papers and show up with an original car at the police station in order to get them back. Oh and a donation for government of coarse.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toshiba said:
Not a pop at the OP, but isn't it a bit erm, two faced to remove things for the MOT to then put them back on after.?
Surely if you are worried about the MOT/Legality of something you should do those kind of things (cant see DRLs being an issue - they are just lights).

Just saying...
I wouldn't bother putting them back if I had to remove them as I have a new car on its way. Just dont want a call to say car has failed for something so very petty. Reason for post was just to see if anyone else with this mod has had an MOT.

I believe when I bought the LED strips they were described and Bright White or something similar but they do have a bluey tinge. They look great for what was a £15 mod. I've seen other DIY drl's which look embarrassing but fortunately mine look pretty good for what they are.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
TT-driver said:
Well here in the Netherlands the police takes action if a car too clearly ran into a Christmas tree. Remove the fancy bits on the spot or hand in your registration papers and show up with an original car at the police station in order to get them back. Oh and a donation for government of coarse.
I'd actually fully agree with that approach. There are far too many liberties being taken with vehicle lights IMO.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
mcmoody said:
I believe when I bought the LED strips they were described and Bright White or something similar but they do have a bluey tinge. They look great for what was a £15 mod. I've seen other DIY drl's which look embarrassing but fortunately mine look pretty good for what they are.
If in doubt the easiest thing to do is have a word with an MOT tester - they're usually pretty good with their advice.

FWIW I reckon there's a definite blue tinge to my Xenon headlights.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
igotone said:
TT-driver said:
I'd actually fully agree with that approach. There are far too many liberties being taken with vehicle lights IMO.
Don't get me wrong. I'm on the same boat. Things spiralled out of control ever since Audi started with the LED DRLs. All these hopeless 'look I can do Audi too' attempts with Chinese Christmas lights.... [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
LOL. It's pretty simple really - we're supposed to just show white lights to the front and red lights to the rear. Any other colour just causes potential confusion to night driving which is hazardous enough anyway.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Hi I got mine coming up in September and I done this mod so hope mine passes
I still have the side light bulbs just in case

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spaceman10 said:

Cheers

Phil
Cheers - my car was registered 01/09/09 so I assume I have to get it MOT'd this month? I haven't had to get a car MOT'd before :oops:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
mcmoody said:
Spaceman10 said:

Cheers

Phil
Cheers - my car was registered 01/09/09 so I assume I have to get it MOT'd this month? I haven't had to get a car MOT'd before :oops:
You'll get a reminder through the post I would have thought.

I know MOT testers are generally clamping down on certain things - I had LED sidelights on my MK1 for years without an issue then at the last MOT in January suddenly they were a problem.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
mcmoody said:
They look great for what was a £15 mod. I've seen other DIY drl's which look embarrassing but fortunately mine look pretty good for what they are.
Sorry but you can't just say that without posting a picture of them up :)

WozzaTT said:
You'll get a reminder through the post I would have thought..
Do they?
You don't normally get a reminder for your MOT (crazy).

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
mcmoody said:
They look great for what was a £15 mod. I've seen other DIY drl's which look embarrassing but fortunately mine look pretty good for what they are.

WozzaTT said:
Do they?
Oh yeah - ignore me, I'm thinking of road tax!

It's a Monday morning - that's my excuse anyway :p .

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
mcmoody said:
Spaceman10 said:

Cheers

Phil
The requirement for a valid Test Cert comes into effect on the date of first registration. You can get the test done up to a month before the due date. You may need to present the V5 to show the reg date: the data base system means that the garage will have access to the car's details.
The 'Certificates' issued now are a disappointment; simply printed on a sheet of A4 that the garage buys from Staples or the like. All details held on computer so no need now for fancy Certs. Hasn't decreased the cost of the test though . . . :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gizmo68 said:
mcmoody said:

WozzaTT said:
Do they?
Follow link for photos.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=290112&start=15

1 - 20 of 20 Posts