Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
Please be sure to post some pictures of your DIY walnut blasting set up, some sources for the parts/materials and a rough cost for everything. The results should be interesting and I suspect a lot of direct injection engine owners will be keen to follow this post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing results, one cylinder done I can't believe how well this has worked with so little effort, this took about 20 mins, it took so long because we were just getting our eye in as we've never done it before and we had to empty the hoover a few times. This was done with approx 2 jug fulls of nuts

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
258 Posts
You caused more problem by not covering the injector. I will not be surprise if the micro filters gets clogged
I guess they could be sent off to be ultrasonically cleaned & tested since the OP has access and time to do it.
This is something I'm considering with mine.
If the OP re-sells the air pump on ebay for £75 they have saved a load of cash by doing all the labour.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Best way to clean the injector is by replacing the micro filter. I used a screw that fits brass ring then attach it to a slide hammer to pull out the micro filter. Carbon buildup on petrol is very easy to remove no need to use ultrasonic cleaner. When I cleaned the intake valve on my engine all injectors came out with the manifold. I don't see any sign of carbon on the tip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All Injectors are covered with a finger from a rubber glove and tie wrapped securly , I'm not that stupid!!! But thanks for your comment.
The above phots are showing you the general picture before the blasting takes place..and besides there is very very little mess using the correct adaptor .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok walnut blast completed and intake cleaned and rebuilt, I cannot believe the difference in this car now it's back to full power and smooth as anything. I'll post the final completed photos. Each cylinder was coked with coal like carbon crusty build up, must have robbed alot of power. So to total the cost, I bought 4x injector rebuilt kit from audi which came in a volkswagon packed at £13 each. The sand blaster I bought for £120 2nd hand but the guy never used it, they say you can't do this job unless you buy the proper nut blaster, that's a load of rubbish as this does more than good enough job but it's a 2 person job one to do the blasting one to control the flow of nuts on the tank. The adaptor was £25 and is absolutely essential, it's the same flange as my r8 so that's my next job. The nuts I bought a 20kg bag for £52 off ebay, tbh you just tip the stuff out of the hoover back into the bag and a standard flour seive filters the carbon, so I did t really need 20kg. I bought a full bore 15mm gas valve and a 15mm to 10mm reducer into 10mm copper pipe.....job done, it takes about a day to do from full intake off, nut blast and rebuild, but satisfying..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well as I have never done it before and I didn't want to break anything removingnit, I recon 2.5 hrs to remove it and 1 hr (if that ) to refit it, I wanted to be sure everything was torqued up, I also removed the plugs which was an extra job. I recon I'd remove it in 45 mins next time maybe less now I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I bought this for £120
Yeah that's a pretty standard pressurised media blaster looks like...I've heard the non pressurised hoppers work better with lower output compressors though?

What kind of air supply (compressor) did you have backing that? In US the HF one (which is basically identical to what you pictured) says it needs 6CFM @ 60 PSI. The non-pressurised model (much cheaper) says it only requires 3.5 CFM @ 50 PSI.

Most 20gal or so consumer-level compressors seem to have like 4.0 CFM, so it seems like one of those would be inadequate to drive a big pressurised blaster like that one? The blaster may not cost that much but if you need a 30gal+ shop compressor at over $500 to drive it, it's not really that great a DIY solution... However if you were able to run this well with a more DIY-reasonable air supply, that would be a different story.

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
If one can pick up a used media blaster, air compressor and associated parts from eBay, and then resell everything on eBay for what you paid for it when you're done, that's not a bad way to go!

At the end of the day, you can DIY a carbon cleaning job for just the price of the walnut media.

Well done I say! (y):D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had my compressor for years, the commissioning date on it says 1957!! It's well old, it pressurised to 100psi and then kicked back in at about 60psi, the gauge on the blaster said 60psi but I don't know whether this is incorrect. I recon its about 150 l of air, its not small but old, I got it from a friend who was a paint sprayer. I am always using it mainly for air gun.

·
Registered
2012 Audi TTS Convertible CDM/CDMA motor
352 Posts
I saw Swiss's request for where to buy the blaster and media. In the United States we have a chain called Harbor Freight. I was able to get a sandblaster and media there for about $60 USD a couple of years ago. I used them with my compressor which is a five gallon "hot dog" unit. Worked well for me. I would like more info on cleaning the injectors as I should do that. The one thing that was over priced was the injector seals for my TTS. They were significantly more than the seals for a standard TT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw Swiss's request for where to buy the blaster and media. In the United States we have a chain called Harbor Freight. I was able to get a sandblaster and media there for about $60 USD a couple of years ago. I used them with my compressor which is a five gallon "hot dog" unit. Worked well for me. I would like more info on cleaning the injectors as I should do that. The one thing that was over priced was the injector seals for my TTS. They were significantly more than the seals for a standard TT.

Do you have a link to what you bought at HF? Would this procedure be safe for forged aluminum? I have some LCAs and knuckles to clean up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts