Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was sold to me as having xenon headlights, but i'm not sure if it does? It doesn't seem quite as bright and white as some other cars on the road that blatantly have them.

If i look into the headlight, it has a lens over where the bulb should be. If i just had halogens, would you see the bulb as you would on other makes of cars?

Is there a way to tell without taking out the whole light unit as if i were replacing the bulb?

I'm also looking at changing the sidelights so that they are crisper and whiter. I want to change to these SMD's: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERROR-FREE-CA ... 43a9222be9

It states error free, but then in the notes it states: Note:
* For some vehicles such as Audi BMW, etc which have OBC, you might need to add a pair of load resistors in order to avoid the error message showing up on dashboard or bulb malfunction problem.

Which to me, if i'm understanding what error free means, is contradictive of the title? I've messaged the seller but haven't had a reply so i'm hoping someone here could shed some light on whether they would be suitable please? From a bit of googling i think i can put in any that state canbus/can bus? But after reading that note i wasn't too sure.

I have an 07 TTR 2.0L TFSI.

Many thanks

Nick

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
the simple way to check:

- When you start the car and turn the lights on at night are they blue-ish in colour?
- Do the light do a little 'dance' when they first come on? - They dip and then come up? If yes then you have Xenons.

Maybe there is another way to check?

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
wja96 has given the easiest way to tell if a car has factory fitted HID headlamps that I've seen on here:
wja96 said:
I can't answer the first question, but the second one can easily be checked as xenons are self-levelling, so if it has xenons, it won't have a headlamp range thumb wheel by the light switch. On Halogen equipped cars there are two thumb wheels. One for adjusting the headlamps and one for the adjusting the dashboard brightness. Xenon equipped cars only have one thumb wheel.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
All Xenons look pretty much like this with a very sharp cut off point at the top of the beam like a sort of horizon line..

Xenons. by tonky8203, on Flickr

All UK cars fitted with Xenons also have to have headlamp washers and auto levelling, so as said above, if you see the beam do a little dance after first switching them on and raise up slightly to operating level then they're Xenons for sure.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah so they are halogen. Great..... another lie on the car ad! i'm really not pleased at all with so many things since buying it. I expected better from a main dealor.

Still havent heard back from them after my e-mail and 2 phone calls over the past month! not pleased at all.

Thanks for the tips on finding this out. Any advice on the LED/SMD's?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
chestnutree said:
Ah so they are halogen. Great..... another lie on the car ad! i'm really not pleased at all with so many things since buying it. I expected better from a main dealor.

Still havent heard back from them after my e-mail and 2 phone calls over the past month! not pleased at all.

You do see a lot of errors in car descriptions even from Audi dealers. Mine was described as having Bose which it doesn't, but that didn't bother me as it happens. I'm sure most of the mistakes are unintentional, but if you've found a lot of them then you really need to get on to them as it sounds like the car simply isn't as advertised - quite substantially.

I can't offer advice on your bulbs etc, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
chestnutree said:

sorry to hear about their lies... Regarding the LED's - see the link in my signature to my build thread

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
igotone said:
chestnutree said:

You do see a lot of errors in car descriptions even from Audi dealers. Mine was described as having Bose which it doesn't, but that didn't bother me as it happens. I'm sure most of the mistakes are unintentional, but if you've found a lot of them then you really need to get on to them as it sounds like the car simply isn't as advertised - quite substantially.

I can't offer advice on your bulbs etc, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.
+1. Was it an Audi dealership?? If so, I'd get on to Audi UK CS if no-one from the dealership seems bothered.

As has been said, I think it's often just the work experience kid who completes the details on the website as they're often inaccurate, but if there are a lot of mistakes I'd be kicking up a right stink.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
They might be able to compensate you in some way as xenons are expensive if you want to add them (oem style)

At the end of the day the car was advertised as having xenons and hasn't you are either entitled to them paying for xenons to be fitted or giving you some sort of compenstaion. Alternatively you can always get a refund on the car and buy a car with xenons :lol:

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
When fitted with xenons, there is no manual height/level adjustment wheel next to the light switch: Symbol of a headlight with small arrows pointing up and down and numbers in the adjuster.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well there's not a great deal mis advertised, just a couple. It's more this mixed in with issues I've had with it. I've only had it 2 months!

Mis advertised:
Xenon Headlights
Tyre pressure monitoring

Cam belt: They said it didn't need doing, if it was due they wouldn't sell me the car until it had been done. After purchasing, I realised it was due. Thankfully it's been done now.

Wind noise - I get a high pitched whistling from the top of the passenger door/window area at 60+mph. On here it's noted as a known issue and some say there's also a recall. After having the car, Audi state no fault found, there is a reasonable amount of noise of a convertible. Yet they only drove it around the city? I can hear it over music!

Volume issues - My RNS-E kept turning the volume down by itself on a regular basis and sometimes turning back up, but rarely. This is the opposite of the aura setting as it would decrease in volume when I increased my speed. Audi's resolution? Turn off the aura setting. To me that's a workaround and not an actual fix! I'd like to use the aura setting and not have a fault.

Service - I've later found out my friend checked the oil for me and tells me it was black. I found this out when it checked it myself a month later and it was nearly empty. I filled it up and a month later it was still full. I don't believe I've had the service they said had been carried out before selling the car to me as on my old car the oil was pretty clear after an oil change. This, with the fact it was also so low. At the time I thought maybe it used a lot of oil, but as it hasn't used much since filling it I don't believe this to be the case. The service book has been stamped that it's had a full service? But I don't believe it's true.

fist aid box - The catch was broken, they fixed this for me, thanks :D

Paintwork - There was a large patch at the top corner of the bonnet/below the roof where a top layer of paint had come off. As it was at the back I ignored it. At the front there were a few stone chips which I asked to be sorted before purchase. I was told it would be sprayed over. When I collected the car it was a poor touchup pen job. The worse part - When I first washed the car, a top layer of paint lifted off around most of the touched up areas, some as large as a 50p coin. So now my bonnet looks a mess :( a top coat similar to at the back of the car. I brought it to their attention when it when in for the cam belt and it wasn't sorted and nothing was said on collection so I had to ask. He said send in an e-mail with pictures so he can speak to his manager. Still not heard anything after a month and I did send the e-mail.

2 weeks ago the emission control system light came on. It stayed on for 3 days solid. I called Audi at the time and was told service are busy. Took my details and was promised a call back. 2 days later I called again, this time leaving a VM. Still no call back. Really not happy. Luckily this light has gone out now but I still want the cause investigating. I'm on a rubbish shift at work this week so I can't get down to see them in person but it looks like I really must!

Sorry to rant in here, but as I'm not getting a call back from Audi I have no one else to express myself to :) But yea, in conclusion, this is why not having the xenon's has made me more unhappy than I already was.

Do Audi keep their advertising sheets on file? As i can no longer find my copy to prove it :S

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jesus mate,

Thats rough treatment, name and shame those dealers.

there is a great inconstancy among dealers of AUDI, i would complain to AUDI C/S especially about the xenons etc and its quite a expensive item.

good luck

Mac

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Regarding the oil: direct petrol injection engines produce more sooth than indirect (normal) injection engines. So engine oil may get black sooner than you'd expect when compared to previous cars.

It could also be that the engine suffers from sludge build up due to delayed oil services or the use of wrong spec oil. (check service booklet) Fresh oil will start cleaning up the sludge and thus get black quite rapidly. If that's the case, consider changing the oil earlier than normal as oil can only hold so much sooth.

I guess you're lucky to get your cam belt replaced. Do ensure pulleys are replaced too, as well as the water pump! It's not likely they will both last as long as the new belt.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bluenosewrx said:
Jesus mate,

Thats rough treatment, name and shame those dealers.

there is a great inconstancy among dealers of AUDI, i would complain to AUDI C/S especially about the xenons etc and its quite a expensive item.

good luck

Mac
I think you have rights inside 3 months, give them the opertuinity to fix it or money back.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
return it under the 30day policy and ask them to source you one with Xenons at the price you paid if thats a real issue for you.
Xenons add zero value to the car.

Just look for ignitors.
Washer can be spec'd for halogens, so their presence means nothing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's past the 30 days now :( I do love the car i just want it all sorting. As for xenons.... they're just cool! lol

I managed to get the water pump done too but not sure if they've done pulleys :S

1 - 20 of 26 Posts