Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anybody help me out with this :?: :?:

I have bought a set of R8 V10 style alloys today and am unsure if i will need to fit spacers.

They are 18" x 8" 5x112 ET45

According to 1010tires wheel offset calculator they will have 20mm additional inner clearance, but will retract 6mm on the outer position against the Audi originals 18" x 9" 5x112 ET52

Obviously i dont want any rubbing issues and also don't want the wheels to "disappear" into the wheel arches.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I make it 5mm, but not worth splitting hairs over.

Only problem with thin spacers is they are just like big washers, I think 8s are the smallest hubcentric, 10s definitely. surely you could afford to go out 10mm?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triplefan said:
I make it 5mm, but not worth splitting hairs over.

Only problem with thin spacers is they are just like big washers, I think 8s are the smallest hubcentric, 10s definitely. surely you could afford to go out 10mm?
Thanks triplefan

Am i right in assuming that if the R8 alloys will sit 5 or 6mm further in than the original Audi wheels, if i fit 10mm spacers then the R8 alloys will be actually 4 or 5mm further out than the Audi originals? If this is the case i can't beleive the wheels protruding an extra 4 or 5mm is going to cause any problems? anybody got any experience of this?

One final question if i need the spacers, does anybody know where i can get some good high quality ones, i've heard horror stories of spacers in the past and always tried to avoid them.

Sorry for all the questions :oops: but your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Am i right in assuming that if the R8 alloys will sit 5 or 6mm further in than the original Audi wheels, By my calcs, yes

if i fit 10mm spacers then the R8 alloys will be actually 4 or 5mm further out than the Audi originals? Correct

If this is the case i can't beleive the wheels protruding an extra 4 or 5mm is going to cause any problems? anybody got any experience of this? One for the Mk2 boys, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't accommodate an extra 5mm, somebody should be along soon to recommend the best size

One final question if i need the spacers, does anybody know where i can get some good high quality ones, Jbell and Charlie (TT spares) both sell H&R, post a wanted ad, watch the for sale section, try ebay, the TT shop, or a search on the web

i've heard horror stories of spacers in the past and always tried to avoid them. If you stick to hubcentric, which are the ones that still have a central shoulder that the wheel locates onto, you will be fine, just ensure you get ones with the correct bore size. Aluminium is preferable to steel to keep unsprung weight down

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Hang on a minute, you don't mention tyres. If you are using the same 245/40 tyres, they will be the same width, but pushed out 7mm further by the 7mm reduction in ET offset.

Put the details into Rims'n'Tyres comparison chart here for illustration of this. I think they would look OK without spacers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
talk-torque said:
Hang on a minute, you don't mention tyres. If you are using the same 245/40 tyres, they will be the same width, but pushed out 7mm further by the 7mm reduction in ET offset.

Put the details into Rims'n'Tyres comparison chart here for illustration of this. I think they would look OK without spacers.
Thanks for this link, but now i'm really confused all the other wheel offset calculators i've used seem to indicate a reduction not increase, but i must admit i think they have only taken the wheel itself into account (Not the tyre as well)???

I will be fitting the original 245/40/18 tyres to the 18" x 8" R8 V10 style alloys

rimsntires definetely seem to indicate a 7mm increase as you say.

Anybody got any final thoughts on this, think i might just put the wheels on to begin with and see how they look before spending money on spacers i may not need [smiley=help.gif]

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
j9sht said:
Thanks for this link, but now i'm really confused all the other wheel offset calculators i've used seem to indicate a reduction not increase, but i must admit i think they have only taken the wheel itself into account (Not the tyre as well)???

I will be fitting the original 245/40/18 tyres to the 18" x 8" R8 V10 style alloys

rimsntires definetely seem to indicate a 7mm increase as you say.

Anybody got any final thoughts on this, think i might just put the wheels on to begin with and see how they look before spending money on spacers i may not need [smiley=help.gif]
A bit more "clarification" (I hope!).

From the comparison chart:

With 9" wheels, mounting pad to outside of tyre = 245/2 - 52 = 70.5
width over rim faces = 254 (you can calc this from other info on the chart)
mounting pad to outside rim face = 254/2 - 52 = 75

With 8" wheels, mounting pad to outside of tyre = 245/2 - 45 = 77.5
width over rim faces = 228 (you can calc this from other info on the chart)
mounting pad to outside rim face = 228/2 - 45 = 69

So, while the tyre will sit 7mm further out with the 8" rims, the rim face will sit 6mm further in. HTH :)

TBH you would be marginal on fitting spacers. 10mm of spacer would put the outside of the tyre 17mm further out and it would be touching something. :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Roger, really appreciate you taking the time to work it out and explain in a way i understand [smiley=dunce2.gif]

Are you a maths teacher :lol: or a nuclear physicist 8) :p

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
j9sht said:
Thanks Roger, really appreciate you taking the time to work it out and explain in a way i understand [smiley=dunce2.gif]

Are you a maths teacher :lol: or a nuclear physicist 8) :p
Neither mate, but I spent a bit of time recently sorting it out in my own head, prior to getting some wheels for winter tyres. (Which I still haven't got!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.