Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

quick question on my test drive lastnight (audi tt 1.8t 1999 225 bhp standard spec) the owner pointed out that when he decelerates and allows the car to idle naturally the engine makes a very brief and quiet hiss on the way doen from around 3 thousand revs to the idle speew

the owner said it never used to do that and onlt started since he had the alternator fitted last week

Is this normal and more importanly should i not buy the car due to this please?

any advice welcomed as i have to make my mind up today

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
drdrake said:
Hi

quick question on my test drive lastnight (audi tt 1.8t 1999 225 bhp standard spec) the owner pointed out that when he decelerates and allows the car to idle naturally the engine makes a very brief and quiet hiss on the way doen from around 3 thousand revs to the idle speew

the owner said it never used to do that and onlt started since he had the alternator fitted last week

i don't think thats normal pal

shak

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
drdrake said:
Hi

Mine makes a noise sounds a bit like a hiss but more like a metalic rattle like two metal plates rasping together? Had it in at Awesome and they said there was nothing wrong with it :? All I can say is mine didnt make the noise before I had my clutch replaced... Any more idea's peeps?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
drdrake said:
could it be a noise from a dump valve or turbo?
The TT does make quite an astmatic hiss when the turbo is boosting, especially if you have an aftermarket panel filter like a K&N or some such.

The sound you describe sort of sounds normal but id be a little bothered by the guy saying it only appeared after the alternator was changed....

The dump valve/wastgate does make an audible hiss on de-celleration but its nowhere near the sound made by some of the blow-off valves you hear on a scooby doo or the like.

As long as you have power while accelerating and there is a feeling of boost then id say youre ok and its normal....

Drive alongside a flat wall or something and accelerate in 1st and take your foot off the pedal without dipping the clutch, you should hear the turbo boosting and then the dump valve releasing the pressure as you rapidly de-cellerate.

Its unmistakeable but quite soft and muffled.

Hope this has helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.