Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just discovered that I don't have a spare tire at the back of my car, but there is a hole which suggests where a spare tire should be zzzzzzzzz Is it just me who doesn't have a spare tire or have I got ripped off by the 2nd hand seller?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
No, in this case you haven't been ripped you off, there is no spare tyre with the MK2 TT. If you uncover the whole of the boot floor you'll find compressor, it's power supply and a canister of mouse to use on your punctured tyre. Obviously that isn't going to be much use if the side wall is ripped out or whatever. A lot of manufacturers have taken the no spare route. There is a thread on here of someone getting hold of the correct size space saver tyre and creating a proper storage area for it as the actual space provided isn't big enough for the correct diameter tyre.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Here's another thread, which I posted on, after fitting mine.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=175940&hilit=+spare+wheel
I didn't go as elaborate as the one above, but it's given no problems, although I haven't had to use it (touch wood)! I notice the phot's have succumbed to villagephotos demise, so I will try to sort that sometime soon. I feel much better having a spare back there. :)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
The lack of a spare wheel is a constant niggling worry for me - especially on long runs. To be fair, the TTS is my 4th car in a row without a spare, and so far (touching wood) I've never had to use that tyre seal stuff and silly inflator arrangement. The worst I've had with any of the cars is a slow puncture where I was able to put enough air into the tyre with a foot pump to get to the tyre fitters. It is a worry though, and more manufacturers seem to be dropping the spare wheel so I suppose it's something we have to get used to.

I try to religiously check my tyre pressures every weekend as an early warning system of any slow punctures, and so avoid any major problems. A seriously damaged or torn tyre while you're out on the road though and you're pretty much fecked! :cry:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have a brand new golf space saver that i bought from vw only to find it wont fit the TTS in my garage for this fix, pm me for a price if any good to you.

jontymo

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
RK, what's a cannister of mouse?
If you're referring to the tyre weld stuff, did you know that if you use it the tyre is not salvageable afterwards - allegedly?
Holts tyre weld apprently is better and does not condemn the tyre.
If you go for the Holts, make sure you get the correct size (volume) to suit your wheel size. Its shelf life is much longer too than Audi.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Yes I did read somewhere that once used the tyre isn't salavagable. I've noted your words on the Holts tyre well stuff... I really should give the whole spare tyre issue some thought one way or the other in the event of the unthinkable happening. I'm still off work so I'll nip outside tomorrow and see what's what. Terrible really, I'll have had the car a year next week and not check to see if Audi even supply a jack seeing there is no spare!

G

·
i work for a well known motoring organisation and the number of new cars we goto with no spare as standard is virtually all. as for that repair kit, totally useless, unless you spot a nail in your tyre whilst on your own drive. if you get a puncture whilst your driving on the motorway by the time you find somewhere to stop the tyres usually shagged .
we use ' slime' its good stuff and definately better than the stuff provided.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
moro anis said:
How's your back now? Is it nearly there yet?
Hey, thanks for asking... Had my MRI scan about a month ago... Severely bulging disc, had a physiotherapy assessment a few weeks back to see how exactly it affects me. Basically physio won't help, it'll be injections or possible op. I was supposed to find out which last week but to cut a long story short, I'm not going to find out for another month. It's not as bad as it was but I'm not headed back to work at least till I know what's happening.
Thanks for asking :)

Steve

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
RockKramer said:
Terrible really, I'll have had the car a year next week and not check to see if Audi even supply a jack seeing there is no spare!
There is a jack in the boot tool kit as standard - so you should have one.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
igotone said:
RockKramer said:
Terrible really, I'll have had the car a year next week and not check to see if Audi even supply a jack seeing there is no spare!
There is a jack in the boot tool kit as standard - so you should have one.
Cheers, I'll get out there in the morning and have a butchers... Thing is I have lifted the boot floor so I must've seen it, I'd have registered if it wasn't there because have suffered a puncture once before on another car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is my first TT too and i was a bit surprised that there was no spare...i thought i was ripped off... :lol:
Well, the repair kit is there. thats good enough for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Audi TTS and a Q3, both have no spare wheel. I then had a puncture on my Q3, I used the glue stuff and inflated the tyre. Since I have tyre insurance I took the car to Audi, who then informed me the tyre could not be repaired and needed a new tyre, I asked why they provide glue if it knackers up the tyre, they said thats how it is. I have since bought a space saver tyre, which I pick up tomorrow.
I aske dif I can order a space saver tyre for the TTS, and they said no, audi do not approve as when fitted it puts the car out of balance, and so they do not make one. Asked what I do in future, they said use the glue, or buy a spare allow wheel and tyre (£650), but it should not be put into the boot, as it will not fit, and puts the car out of balance.
Thinking of getting rid of the TTS

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
no spare tyre in mine, but I did find a can of party spray foam which I had great fun with :p

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Getting rid of the car because of tyre gunk is even more of an overreaction than my jokey thread about the washer bottle :)

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
beepcake said:
Getting rid of the car because of tyre gunk is even more of an overreaction than my jokey thread about the washer bottle :)
hmmm im not sure about that, I think your washer bottle issue wins hands down

·
Registered
260 Posts
Patrizio72 said:
beepcake said:
hmmm im not sure about that, I think your washer bottle issue wins hands down
Lol, I stumbled across that thread the other day and thought 'funnels', must admit though I only found the service option to move the wipers at the weekend. I was going to create a thread on why is it stupid to have hidden blades.. and one blade always sticks above the bonnet slightly.

No I've also got no spare, not bothered either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It's odd that Audi had that stance though - I suggested in the other thread that they were dangerous, and could potentially throw out the quattro, and someone said that Audi stated it didn't and they were fine.

Oh, and funnel-schmunnel ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts