Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wondering if its possible to service my tt myself?

Would be doing oil and filter, fuel filter how much oil does the tt take to re fill?

Possibly spark plugs depending on what they look like.

Also want to replace my rear springs and a track rod end? Are these possible to do on the drive?

Then its going to the garage to fit my new front and rear brakes and a brake fluid change.

Thanks
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,514 Posts
All is possible mate with the right knowledge,tools and facilities of course.
Perhaps you should have a look at the numerous "how to's" on the forum. In terms of capacities, you don't state which model you have.
Oil, filters etc is a good start.
Everything you mention can be DIY. Work on the suspension could require an alignment depending on what you do.
But forgive me suggesting this, you sound a little lacking in experience. So maybe ask a knowledgible friend to guide you along first off?

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,082 Posts
All eazy jobs...there is only 1 bolt to undo for the rear springs...front brakes are a doddle too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
All easy mate.... start with the oil and plugs and filters..... the most annoying part is the sparks as the N249 has to be shifted etc.... Get under in there and get dirty buddy, it's the best way to learn :)

5L oil, oil Filter and sparks should set you back around £50-60, buy a nice panel filter and you'll never have to worry about it again other than checking and cleaning :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys, i live and work on a farm, so serice tractors and machinery all the time, just never had ago on a car lol.

Iv fitted most of my modifications myself so far, and yer i guessed i would be needing an allignment after the track rod end and the rear springs but i need one anyway :).

Also in regard to the brakes the only bit im worrying about is bleeding the system is that fairly easy?

Thanks
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,496 Posts
Stealth69 said:
All easy mate.... start with the oil and plugs and filters..... the most annoying part is the sparks as the N249 has to be shifted etc.... Get under in there and get dirty buddy, it's the best way to learn :)

5L oil, oil Filter and sparks should set you back around £50-60, buy a nice panel filter and you'll never have to worry about it again other than checking and cleaning :)
TT needs 4,5ltr of oil ,

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers,

Do i need a speical tool for doing the rear brakes winding back the calipers? And for bleeding the system?

Yer the problem is i dont need everything in the kist as iv replaced bits alreay such as pollen filter, and have after market air filters etc. iv got all the bits of euro car parts, there doing 30% of if u spend over 100 quid :).

Just a quick thing, looking at rear springs on ecp the ones i want say for cars without sports suspesion? Mines a 2006 qs? Does mine have sports suspesion?

Thanks
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
kazinak said:
Stealth69 said:
All easy mate.... start with the oil and plugs and filters..... the most annoying part is the sparks as the N249 has to be shifted etc.... Get under in there and get dirty buddy, it's the best way to learn :)

5L oil, oil Filter and sparks should set you back around £50-60, buy a nice panel filter and you'll never have to worry about it again other than checking and cleaning :)
TT needs 4,5ltr of oil ,

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
Yes but they don't sell 4.5L bottles of oil hence why I said 5L as a single bottle :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Stealth69 said:
kazinak said:
Stealth69 said:
All easy mate.... start with the oil and plugs and filters..... the most annoying part is the sparks as the N249 has to be shifted etc.... Get under in there and get dirty buddy, it's the best way to learn :)

5L oil, oil Filter and sparks should set you back around £50-60, buy a nice panel filter and you'll never have to worry about it again other than checking and cleaning :)
TT needs 4,5ltr of oil ,

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
Yes but they don't sell 4.5L bottles of oil hence why I said 5L as a single bottle :p
Lol lol lol lol lol you tell him mate .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,044 Posts
Shop around for Oil.
Castrol Edge 5/30 or equivalent is usually on an offer at ECP etc.

It is possible to do rears with long nose pliers and a screwdriver but I wouldn't bother as it is so so so much easier with a £4 wind back adaptor which clips onto the end of 3/8" handle. I found with the Audi you need to push quite hard whilst turning the piston. Don't forget to give the piston a good clean before pushing the dirty part back in.

I paid less than a fiver for something similar to this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-BRAKE-REAR-CALIPER-WIND-BACK-CUBE-TOOL-52334-/150808650965
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top