Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my TT booked into to have the RSTT alloys refurbed tomorrow morning and I was just going to go with standard Audi silver however I was thinking about maybe going for a smoked chrome finished instead just to be slightly different. Not sure how it would look against the Dolomite.
Worried it might just look odd like I tried to match the body but it didn't quite work out.
I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any pics of smoked chrome alloys on a Dolomite?

·
Registered
868 Posts
higsta said:
I've got my TT booked into to have the RSTT alloys refurbed tomorrow morning and I was just going to go with standard Audi silver however I was thinking about maybe going for a smoked chrome finished instead just to be slightly different. Not sure how it would look against the Dolomite.
Worried it might just look odd like I tried to match the body but it didn't quite work out.
I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any pics of smoked chrome alloys on a Dolomite?
Dolomite needs a nice bright silver IMO to contrast. I toyed with the idea of going gunmetal or dolomite on the inners of my split rims and keeping the outer bit silver for contrast as I'd seen a BMW which looked quite good with it but I decided against.

As you say, if you went darker, it might just look like a poor colour match. And pure dolomite in that pic above whilst a good match looks a bit wrong (I know all personal opinion) as there is nothing contrasting with the paintwork.

Dolomite has a hint of blue in it so anything grey/shadow/gun metal doesn't quite sit right in my opinion.

Here's mine with a BBS OEM silver. Quite bright with almost a bit of fleck in the wheel paint to help them shine. Wheels match the exhausts/badges/filler cap and contrast perfectly with the paint…

Each to their own though…

dolomite.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
MrHooky said:
higsta said:
Dolomite needs a nice bright silver IMO to contrast. I toyed with the idea of going gunmetal or dolomite on the inners of my split rims and keeping the outer bit silver for contrast as I'd seen a BMW which looked quite good with it but I decided against.

As you say, if you went darker, it might just look like a poor colour match. And pure dolomite in that pic above whilst a good match looks a bit wrong (I know all personal opinion) as there is nothing contrasting with the paintwork.

Dolomite has a hint of blue in it so anything grey/shadow/gun metal doesn't quite sit right in my opinion.

Here's mine with a BBS OEM silver. Quite bright with almost a bit of fleck in the wheel paint to help them shine. Wheels match the exhausts/badges/filler cap and contrast perfectly with the paint…

Each to their own though…

Great shot of your bug. Totally agree with what you said about colour contrast. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Damien.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
higsta said:
For my money the Dolomite Grey needs a good contrast. Dark rims look, well dark. if you look at Neil's project:

and Diveratt's ( sorry to use your TT as example - no offence intended)

I think the brighter wheels offset Dolomite better. Make it look classy too.
But hey, as in all things modding its your choice.

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Higsta - where are you getting them done and for how much ? Last quote I had was in Burgess Hill (Smart Alloys) for £240 (£200+VAT) and wondering if a better deal can be had. Will they be done the same day ?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi mate ,click on my sig block for closer look at wheels :p

Hasten to add that I have new disks and painted calipers now :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Absolutely agree that the contrasting silver wheels pick out the dolomite better. If you're body coloured all the way, then you will get more of a 'stealth' look -- if that's what you're after. I also feel that the TT looks better with less spokes than the ones on the stock rims, for some reason. It just looks less busy and maybe a bit more muscular and focused.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Tritium said:
I think the brighter wheels offset Dolomite better. Make it look classy too.
+1 Never been a fan of dark alloys or any shade thereof. Bright silver looks so much better, especially as has already been said against the contrast of the Dolomite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts