Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got yellow back from his MOT he passed :p but the door open alarm is showing on the dash and the window is staying at the door open position interior light also staying on all the time when set to the door open position
So I know a number of people have he'd the door lock microswitch fail showing the door closed all the time anyone had it fail showing the door open all the time :?: :

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Hi Andy
Had the passenger side go on my old MK1 , no light on dash but the auto window close , last bit on the door closing stopped working

Mark

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Mark this is the drivers door I did notice the tester was using the key to lock and unlock the door not the remote just wondering if this might have caused it :?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine did the same as Mark's post above. Nothing on the DIS but the window would not drop to allow closure of the door.

Bought a s/h door lock off ebay from a scrappy in Darlington for £30 inc postage, works fine now.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Cheers Mark this is the drivers door I did notice the tester was using the key to lock and unlock the door not the remote just wondering if this might have caused it :?
Hey , perhaps he broke it !

Was it ok before he was using the key ? , key coded ok ?

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know Mark but now it is faulty what ever way you lock it I did notice the interior light was switched to off when I got it back is is always set to come on when the door is opened so this makes me think that they knew there was a problem but didn't tell me
Is it as easy as it looks to change just 3 screws and the wires to swap it over :?:

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Just got yellow back from his MOT he passed :p but the door open alarm is showing on the dash and the window is staying at the door open position interior light also staying on all the time when set to the door open position
So I know a number of people have he'd the door lock microswitch fail showing the door closed all the time anyone had it fail showing the door open all the time :?: :
Yes the micro-switch can fail internally ( not on its piston to trigger the switch) and it can short out the terminals closing the circuit and forcing a door open trigger.

temporarily, take door card off and pull the connector off the latch to prove it, door glass should rise.
If this is the case, you can cut the red or blue wire to the micro-switch to make it open circuit until you source a replacement

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Yes I had this happen to me :eek:
In my case I managed to fit a microswitch from an old
Microsoft mouse to repair it
Has been fine since :wink:
Well chuffed at the time as a new lock is silly money 8)
Well over a year now still ok

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys just priced a new one £79 + vat from TPS :eek:

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Don't know Mark but now it is faulty what ever way you lock it I did notice the interior light was switched to off when I got it back is is always set to come on when the door is opened so this makes me think that they knew there was a problem but didn't tell me
Is it as easy as it looks to change just 3 screws and the wires to swap it over :?:
Yep pretty simple job , door card off , 3 screws off . IIRC there's a how to on Waks site

Mark

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts
I am shocked that a bit of your car is not perfect Andy :eek:

Unusual too that the switch has failed closed circuit. Perhaps some damp has got in. On one of the threads we identified the correct part micro switch if you want to save some money.

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John-H said:

Unusual too that the switch has failed closed circuit. Perhaps some damp has got in. On one of the threads we identified the correct part micro switch if you want to save some money.
Interesting John got any more details is it a big job to change the micro switch :?:

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
John-H said:

Interesting John got any more details is it a big job to change the micro switch :?:
It's all in the Knowledge base FAQ Andy: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=181970&start=0 I also added a link to a possible UK supplier at the end.

Very cheap but you may have to adapt things. The part used by Audi is a custom part based on a standard V4 sealed micro-switch by Cia Burgess. The customisation involved the mounting - the standard holes and spacing are replaced by pips at a different spacing.

The switch will split into two and people have found they can swap the top part so it all fits back good as new.

If your cam is worn an adaptation of the external lever helps (lever version also available). In your case with the switch being shorted you may need to replace the whole thing and then the mounting may require some inventiveness.

The supplier http://www.access-electrical.co.uk/inde ... iak=-28387 doesn't stock the sealed leaded version but you can always solder the wires on and seal with some epoxy or silicone.

The best one to get may be one with a lever attached but here are the variants:

V4NCT7 solder plunger 250 VAC 5 A -
V4NCS cable 500 mm plunger 250 VAC 5 A -
V4NCT7A1 solder plain lever 18.0 mm 250 VAC 5 A -
V4NCSA1 cable 500 mm plain lever 18.0 mm 250 VAC 5 A -
V4NCT7AR solder roller lever 16.0 mm 250 VAC 5 A -
V4NCSAR cable 500 mm roller lever 16.0 mm 250 VAC 5 A -

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Just keep in mind the internal failure is usually the post the spring is on snaps and then the internals create the short that makes the switch think its open.

You'll be flogging a dead horse if this is the case trying to swap the tops.

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
John-H said:

PM Flash. He has made lots of these switches for an easy replacement. He got me a micro switch and the only trouble was had was after fitting a cam to the switch. A little adjustment whilst the lock is out and it's perfect now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts