Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reaccuring problem with my 225, really need some advice because the same thing happened a few months back and i spent alot of money thinking it was all fixed.

Basically it started today, as im driving sometimes when i put the car into 1st or second gear i have no drive, its like being in neutral, i think i can hear a bit of grinding coming from somewhere, and i also seem to be low on power. If i try a few times then i might get into gear, or if i switch the car off then on i would have gears working again. Like i say this exact same thing happened a few months back and i ended up replacing the clutch and its been perfect since.

Ive barely done a couple thousand miles since and i dont drive like a maniac at all. I really dont think its the clutch, dont think it was last time either, cause when i had a look at the old one it looked fine, hardly any play with the fly wheel, i guess it could be gearbox, or a differential? Any help or suggestions, anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, my mechanic has identified the problem, the front drive shaft was coming out of its slot, il upload a pic later on. so we pushed it back into place, but it could happen again, he says he needs to have a look at it properly and find out why this is happening,.

Does anybody know a possible reason? And how the shaft sits in place, is it bolted on,? it didnt seem like it as we were just able to push it in.

what this does mean is the clutch/flywheel that i had replaced sitting in my shed is in perfect working order, :-S

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to illustrate; this is the part of the drive shaft coming off the transmission,
Jamman I can see the bolts, those look fine, but where it was slotting out is right next to where the shaft meets the transmission,
Im not all that clued up on where what is on the car... yet, but if anybody has a illustration of the details then please post

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi, I would think you have a gearbox/diff prob. When you have the prob in 1st/2nd, if you tried to pull away in 3rd or 4th, do you same prob,ie no drive.
Drive shaft appears to bolted in place, so prob look as if gearbox internals.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi, I would think you have a gearbox/diff prob. When you have the prob in 1st/2nd, if you tried to pull away in 3rd or 4th, do you same prob,ie no drive.
Drive shaft appears to bolted in place, so prob look as if gearbox internals.
Thanks for the response Hoggy, just to note i took that picture after we pushed the shaft back into place,
To answer your question, Yes I think the problem remains in all gears once it starts to happen, does that signify anything else to you?

I think it might be the Diff too actually, tell you why, when i was having the clutch replaced i remember the mechanic pointed out something about the Diff, I thought when he put it back together he had sorted it out, here is a photo i took when they were replacing my clutch, is that the Diff on the right? shouldn't the metal spoke not meant to be straight??

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi Greyhound, I have no pics of gearbox/transmission internals, but if drive shaft can be pushed back into place then something is missing internally, circlip or similar. I know very little about TT gear box/transmission, but would require gearbox/transmission strip down to confirm.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoggy your replies are usefull even when you say you know little about the gearbox, so thanks alot, :D

Yeah im going to have to get the guys at my garage to have a good inspection of the parts [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
As Hoggy says, there should be a circlip in behind the drive flange, if this has dropped off or become detached, then the shaft would come out of its spline and you would get no drive to that wheel.
Due to the diff and its physics, all of the drive would be lost because it needs both shafts to allow transmission and id say whats happening is you then have only the rear haldex providing power which could explain the loss of power or acceleration etc.
The haldex provides less drive than the front wheels i believe.... could be wrong.... probably am... (are/am.... watch out, the grammar police will be after me!)

Anyway, heres a pic of the components.
I have the part numbers if needed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
antcole said:
id say whats happening is you then have only the rear haldex providing power which could explain the loss of power or acceleration etc.[/img]
Man i think you just hit the nail on the head with the power loss, because i noticed before we put the shaft back into place and got power back i let the mechanic drive the car while i was out, the surface was all slippery and noticed the back wheels spin and front wheels did nada!,

You guys are genius, and im frikking hawk eye :-D

So where is this clip in the illustration?

Cheers fellaz

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Dont know about tt's but on every other drive shaft there is a circlip holding it in. Is there a groove going all the way round on the spline that goes in the gearbox?... Thats where the circlip should be...it looks like a circular piece of wire.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ades tt 180 said:
Dont know about tt's but on every other drive shaft there is a circlip holding it in. Is there a groove going all the way round on the spline that goes in the gearbox?... Thats where the circlip should be...it looks like a circular piece of wire.
Yep, i know what it is now, these clips cost about 20p, instead my mechanic got me to buy a new clutch last time, ffs!,

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hello mate, the circlip part is item 9 in the drawing, you might need item 8 also if you dismantle the actual drive flange.
Item 7 seems to be a washer that goes between the drive flange and the circlip/securing ring... but it doesnt have a part number sadly.

(Item - 8 ) 8D0 407 309 sealing washer 90MM approximately 3 quid each
(Item - 9 ) N 012 374 1 securing ring 28X1,5 approximately 1 quid each

All that for under a fiver! :p

Hope thats useful my mate.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So mechanics had a look, they admitted they really dont know much about the workings of the differential etc, so im probably not in the best of hands, we took the drive shaft out, Mechanics don't really know why it comes out of its place, or if anything is missing...I dont even understand how its being kept in place.

wonder if any of you can look at that photo of the inner drive shaft and tell me if anything is missing? or how its kept in place? because it just slots in with a bit of force.

the schematics posted here dont show the inner shaft, so any illustrations of this would also be alot of help

right now we put it back but after having driven it a mile i can tell its popped out again and im massively under powered and very un reliable car at the moment, not good :-(

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Hoggy, but i dont think thats the illustration i need, it is offcourse the drive shaft but there is another flanged shaft quiet a substantial which bolts onto the drive shaft and into the differential,

this here

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
greyhound said:
So mechanics had a look, they admitted they really dont know much about the workings of the differential etc, so im probably not in the best of hands, we took the drive shaft out, Mechanics don't really know why it comes out of its place, or if anything is missing...I dont even understand how its being kept in place.

wonder if any of you can look at that photo of the inner drive shaft and tell me if anything is missing? or how its kept in place? because it just slots in with a bit of force.

the schematics posted here dont show the inner shaft, so any illustrations of this would also be alot of help

right now we put it back but after having driven it a mile i can tell its popped out again and im massively under powered and very un reliable car at the moment, not good :-(
I cannot see the Circlip location ring, has part of the spline sheared off inside diff???

1 - 20 of 71 Posts