Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

From the driver's door I can DOWN the passenger window but it doesn't go UP, from the passenger door it works right as it goes up and down.
I think it's possible that it got wet, several days of rain I found the wet button on the driver's door.

Being the issue just to go UP and not to go DOWN just from drivers door (from passenger works right); Do you think it is an electrical issue or could it be solved changing only the passenger UP window button on the driver's door?

Can the button be purchased individually to fix the issue or will be required to buy the full 4-button kit? Do you know what is the reference of drivers door button to UP the passenger window?

NOTE: Left hand TT 2008 coupé 2.0 TFSI 200cv

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,517 Posts
You can scan for an implausible signal fault with VCDS or OBDeleven. That should let you know where the fault is coming from.

Another option is to try and re-set your windows -
Door open, ignition on, engine running is recommended to keep your battery at full voltage.
Window all the way down. Then press the switch for down and hold it for 5-seconds, this sets the "down" value.
Window all the way up. Then pull the switch for up and hold it for 5-seconds. this sets the "up" value.
If it doesn't take the first time, you may need to repeat this procedure.

Yes, the switches can be replaced individually but it will require pulling the door card.

·
Registered
554 Posts
SwissJetPilot said:
Yes, the switches can be replaced individually but it will require pulling the door card.
Actually the double switch on the driver's door is a single unit with 4 microswitches.

The parts which fail mechanically are the rocker buttons, because the plastic is thin and fragile and there is only a couple of millimetres between the pivot hole and the edge. Stupid design.

I did my driver's door last year and have just done the passenger side. The "how-to" suggests that once you have the door card off, you should remove the armrest. I found that I could pop the switch out quite easily with the armrest still attached. (That's with the single control on the passenger door. I don't know if it applies to the bigger unit on the driver's door.)

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,517 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you.

My driver wheel is on left and i need to know the reference for left driver door button (to down passenger window)

Should be like reference 420 959 855 but for Left Hand driver mk2

regards

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hello

Changing the part number 8J8 959 802 E reported by vagcom would not solve anything because from the passenger door the window went up and down perfectly so the right window motor is correct. The problem is only from the driver's door, I can lower the window but not raise it (to raise it I must do it from the passenger door).

I think the problem is that the buttons on the driver's door got wet from the rain when the window was lowered
What do you think the problem could be and what could be the solution?

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. Labels: 1K0-959-702-MIN3.lbl
Part No SW: 8J8 959 802 E HW: 8J8 959 802 E
Component: Tuer-SG H02 0060
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 01236 785 00200
VCID: 408FA68B1376181ED43-8015

1 Fault Found:
00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F221)
008 - Implausible Signal

EDIT:

Note, also the driver door also gives fault code when in drivers side works correct.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: 8P0-959-801-MIN3.lbl
Part No SW: 8J8 959 801 E HW: 8J8 959 801 E
Component: Tuer-SG H02 0060
Coding: 0000021
Shop #: WSC 01236 785 00200
VCID: 3F8DA5776E8867E6AD9-806A

1 Fault Found:
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
008 - Implausible Signal

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
It is definitely the driver door switch pack at fault as others have said. It's the same part for left and right hand drive cars

8E0959851C 5PR is the part number if you don't fancy the aluminium ones poster above

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I think the problem may be different, vagcom does not report any error about the windows or switchs, the fault codes are about the driver central lock and i just bought a new door lock to fix this issue. thanks

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
I'm not sure how that would affect your window operation but interested to see how you get on

Have you tried looking at the measuring blocks for the switches? That would rule it out at no expense

·
Registered
722 Posts
You'll get a stack of irrelevant codes, mine tripped off 6 in total a few weeks back when I sorted my driver's side window, even aircon faults sprang up

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, but my driver's door actually has a problem. With the remote it open all the doors except the driver's, I have to insert the key manually. With the remote, all the doors are closed correctly.
I received a new door lock from ebay at 25eur, next week i will probe to change door lock

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
How old is the car's battery by the way?

Asking because I had issues with the power windows (I had to help lifting them up by pulling them with my fingers while making it go up) and the problem went away after replacing the 14 year old battery.

·
Registered
490 Posts
How old is the car's battery by the way?

Asking because I had issues with the power windows (I had to help lifting them up by pulling them with my fingers while making it go up) and the problem went away after replacing the 14 year old battery.
Also a low battery can cause the voltage at certain modules to drop too low during cranking, which will erase the "memory" of the up postion and thus cause it to have to be reset as per SJP's instructions when this occurs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think is not problem about battery, i bought a super varta 6 years ago. I think problem could be one piece was wet when the window was down on a rainy day, but if this is not the problem, I don't know which part is damaged because vagcom does not indicate it, I should buy all the window switches to test and if that doesn't fix it then buy another ecu .. or what other part? Anyway, spend a lot of money for a fuking window

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
A switch is a simple mechanical device that opens / closes a wired connection.

With an ohm meter you can quickly check a switch's operation out of the circuit. Open = infinite, closed = zero ohms. When it comes to troubleshooting electrical components, this is about as easy as it gets.

You can also simulate a switch's operation with a jumper wire. In this case connecting either pin 2 or pin 3 (depending on direction) of your window regulator controller to ground should cause the cause the window motor to run.

I think is not problem about battery, i bought a super varta 6 years ago. I think problem could be one piece was wet when the window was down on a rainy day, but if this is not the problem, I don't know which part is damaged because vagcom does not indicate it
Note: 6 years on a battery is about all you can expect from it. It might last longer if maintained on a smart charger, but a couple of deep discharges and you can kill a battery in short order. Not saying your battery is bad, but after 6 years I wouldn't assume it is good either.

Check out the following thread: Should I replace the battery?

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
A switch is a simple mechanical device that opens / closes a wired connection.

With an ohm meter you can quickly check a switch's operation out of the circuit. Open = infinite, closed = zero ohms. When it comes to troubleshooting electrical components, this is about as easy as it gets.
Just adding some VAG specific info here in case it helps, as I took one apart earlier in the year for a project that hasn't yet worked out...

Each window switch is actually 4 switched - down level 1, down level 2, up level 1 and up level 2. The same 2 wires are used for these. There are different resistors in each circuit (bar one, which is zero ohms as you say).

However your advice is still accurate, in that you can confirm it works by measuring the resistance in each of the 4 positions and seeing it change

I can dig up the actual resistances for each of the positions as well as the pins for these if needed for reference with a 'good' switch

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
I think is not problem about battery, i bought a super varta 6 years ago. I think problem could be one piece was wet when the window was down on a rainy day, but if this is not the problem, I don't know which part is damaged because vagcom does not indicate it, I should buy all the window switches to test and if that doesn't fix it then buy another ecu .. or what other part? Anyway, spend a lot of money for a fuking window
Have you checked measuring blocks in VCDS to see what the module is reading from the switch?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Each window switch is actually 4 switched - down level 1, down level 2, up level 1 and up level 2. The same 2 wires are used for these. There are different resistors in each circuit (bar one, which is zero ohms as you say).
Yes, as you said the wiring diagram clearly shows 4 switches with resistors in series. Unfortunately wiring diagrams (unlike circuit schematics) don't provide any resistive values.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts