Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I keep seeing that you MUST read the handbook regarding the do's and don'ts of using the DSG gearbox.

My TT was not accompanied by a handbook. Can anyone advise on the key items from their handbook.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Theres no real do's and donts, point and press really.
Dont mistreat it, its just as fallable as any other gearbox... but it wont let you do silly things like go from 6th straight into 1st at 80mph :-D ..... its almost fool proof.

If youre ever being towed, select N.

Dont use the P position instead of the handbrake.
Always use the handbrake as the P position will jam and possibly break eventually.

When in D, you can also flip to paddle mode by flicking the paddles, it will remain there for 10 seconds before returning to D mode.

Tiptronic and paddle mode is self explanatory.

S or sport mode is the same as D but increases the rev limit before changing gear, also adds a nifty 'blip' to the revs as you come down through the gears.

In all gears, when you take your foot off the brake, always allow the 1 second delay of the clutches engaging before stamping your foot down.... Or you will snap the necks of everyone in the car....

For 'launch control', select 'S', turn off the ESP, press the brake hard with your left foot, press the accellerator all the way down (it will only hit 3200 rpm), then when youre ready and in a straight line, release the brake...... booooom, youre at warp speed.

If a fault occurs in the DSG, you will get all of the gear numbers flashing together on the dash display.
Usually park up, switch off and hope it resets, if its got too hot etc....

Theres also some emergency instruction on how to release the P position if your car is immobilised, flat battery etc... i can PM that to you if required.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Good summary Ant.
Can't add much of importance. I would add to follow the service schedule for oil and filter changes. Help to preserve the box and it's potential temprementity from rearing it's head. It most definately not a 'forget about it' system.

I would also note that you can still 'kick-down' in tiptronic mode as though in 'D' - handy sometimes if you forget yourself!
As you say it's pretty fool proof. - Changing down in tiptronic for you so you don't stall and make an ass of yourself.
The "delay of death" can be disconcerting until you get used to predicting the need to floor it at junctions / roundabouts.

If you have VCDS then you can set the box to readapt should you find it necessary.
All in all a wonderful invention of a gearbox and soooo much fun attached to the V6. Smooth seamless changes are a joy.

Brian

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers all,

I have had the car just over a year and had to get the DSG ECU repaired a couple of weeks ago (£700)

Just that I'd seen a few references to the must read DSG use part of the handbook.

Didn't know if there were rules for changing modes whilst moving eg.moving across to manual mode or into sport mode at xMph for instance.

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
You can move the gear leaver over to manual mode at speed, you just can't move Into sport mode at speed, I never put the car into N when at lights etc the manual tells you to leave it in drive and keep your foot on the brake

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
antcole said:
For 'launch control', select 'S', turn off the ESP, press the brake hard with your left foot, press the accellerator all the way down (it will only hit 3200 rpm), then when youre ready and in a straight line, release the brake...... booooom, youre at warp speed.
I thought it was 'Turn off ESP', 'brake', select 'S', 'hold revs' ...... Boom :p Mine doesn't hold revs at 3200, have to do that myself and manual states that also. Interesting that other peoples does :?
gogs said:
you just can't move Ito sport mode at speed, I never put the car into N when at lights etc the manual yells you to leave it in drive and keep your foot on the brake
I wasn't aware of this and manual doesn't say otherwise, I regularly pop it into sport from D 8)
Yes, manual does say to leave in drive with foot on brake if stopping for "short periods". Read into that what you will, I prefer to pop it into N and keep those clutches cool :)

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
PeTTe-N said:
antcole said:
I thought it was 'Turn off ESP', 'brake', select 'S', 'hold revs' ...... Boom :p Mine doesn't hold revs at 3200, have to do that myself and manual states that also. Interesting that other peoples does :?
It doesnt matter what order you do it in.... obviously you do need to press the brake before you press the accelerator all the way down... :p

As for the revs... well theres something amiss there then, i havent pressed mine so hardf as to go into the kick-down position but with the pedal all the way down the revs just flicker at 3200 and no more...... tis strange... :?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
gogs said:
PeTTe-N said:
gogs said:
I must have made that up! I'll check the manual when I get home
Yep, you've dreamt that one, I checked my manual earlier [smiley=book2.gif]
Yeah just checked my manual, I am talking utter bollocks, I do apologise all
:lol: :lol:

Hey Gordon, does yours hold at precisely 3200 in launch mode?

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
antcole said:
gogs said:
PeTTe-N said:
gogs said:

No idea, I'll need to check, when I tried it before my eyes were to far back into my skull to be able to read the rev counter lol

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
antcole said:
gogs said:
PeTTe-N said:
gogs said:

Engine still at temp so just checked it Ant and yes it holds at 3200 in launch mode

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
gogs said:
Engine still at temp so just checked it Ant and yes it holds at 3200 in launch mode
Hahaa... i didnt expect you to go out and do it... any excuse for a play eh mate!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts