Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been doing my brain on different specificatuions for my new TT...a world I am sure you have all visited at some point!!

Just to confuse my tiny brain still further, a local'ish stealer tells me that the TT MK2 has both DSG and Stronic gearbox options...this is news to me...any of you have any thoughts on this.

I actually thought the DSG was an old VW expression (or description of their gearbox) and that Audi just "Brand" theirs as "Stronic" to widen the old VW/Audi Gap.

That said, I am by no means an expert and am preparing myself for an onslaught of "welll der yeah" type of replies.

(takes cover)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
DSG was the original "name", used by VW and Audi in marketing
Audi have now branded it as S-Tronic, when used on their cars - the technology is the same

TT Mk2 only has 6 speed manual and 6 speed S-Tronic options, so your dealer has given out misleading info there

·
Registered
571 Posts
As far as I`m aware, S-Tronic is Audi speak for DSG.

I don`t think you can order a new TT with DSG, it will be branded S-Tronic.

BTW, I had a DSG equipped A3, if you are thinking of one make sure you have a long test drive..........

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yep, one and the same John. No idea how your Dealer can get away with such muppetry :roll:

As Wolfie suggests, have you had a test drive of a car with S-Tronic... or failing that, one with DSG..? :wink:

G

·
Funny this thread has come up.

My dealer are selling two used TTC's.

Both 57 plates, both have approx 7K miles.

Both are 2.0T

But one says S-tronic, the other says DSG! [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

Automatic then! :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say that my immediate reaction was that this guy was talking crap as he seemed to "bluster" a little when I span around with a vexed expression and questioned him about this...but, as the "expert" I wanted to check that I wasn't simply missing a really obvious point.

Just as I thought Stronic is Audi speak for DSG.

Thanks chaps, one less thing to consider, now...where was I?

oh yes....RS4,DSG,Phantom, No Black, No Dolphin, No Phantom again,Nappa, Alancantarararara...mumble mumble

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually wolfe, No I haven't had a LONG test in an Stronic...about 30 mins.... that sold me totally...I loved the way it switched up and down so fast (with a little flurry of the throttle).

Have you had any bad experience?

I have also driven manual...and totally get the appeal of both...hence my earler "confusion".

I drive a lot in town and probably will appreciate the DSG when queing on hills etc...but (as an apposing view) out in the open the ability to wake up my left foot will no doubt be very attractive and engaging!

Always promised myself I would neve have an automatic sports car...but that DSG...its sooooo sweet

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, after driving stronic loved it and ordered it. At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste and your type of driving, never wanted an "Auto" :twisted: sports coupe but you get best of both worlds with stronic. imo.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well.... no.

Audi will be releasing a NEW Stronic gear box http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080319.007/new-audi-s-tronic-transmission

Apparently this is called Stronic in the "older" TT's like mine three weeks old :? those have DSG (the VW naming). The new Stronic will have 7 gears, can handle 550nm torque and 9000rpm. It can also be used on A4's Q7's etc etc.

In true audi fasion screw the people who have already bought car's etc lets keep releasing new models :p

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
He obviously knows a great deal. It might be worth considering buying from another stealer, can you imagine what advice you might get after you get the car :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny that...I had the pleasure of "borrowing" the fleet 9114S (997) only last weekend (as I had just sold my Rangey and was "carless").

The "S-tronic" box on that was...to be polite (and clean for admin sake) a pile of poo!...

seriously it was really basic, it has no interatction with the gearstick at all...which in effect becomes a switch for Drive-Neutral-reverse (you cant select a drive gear at all)...it has no paddles, just little button's on the steering wheel that look like the volume controls on any other car and are constantly being nudged by accident.

It had no finesse when switching gears, no blip of the throttle or double de-clutching on the down shift...just a really basic box of up-down cogs.

Went like a rocket and sounded fantastic...but the gearbox is just kind of on...or off...

Perhaps I had a basic spec (which seems unlikley as it was my one of my Boss's motors and generally, he dosent compromise on car spec's...ever..)

PS sorry for the new thread...what a spanner

G

·
John, I think its planned for Audi's S-tronic to go in future new Porsche cars. My best bud works there and was telling me what his Porsche people had told him.

·
Registered
571 Posts
John P Gillard said:
Actually wolfe, No I haven't had a LONG test in an Stronic...about 30 mins.... that sold me totally...I loved the way it switched up and down so fast (with a little flurry of the throttle).

Have you had any bad experience?
No, not a bad experience with DSG. The DSG is a good gearbox but it`s not perfect. There are many threads on here listing the pros and cons of the system. It can get confused in normal driving, sometimes selecting a lower gear than you`d like it to.

If I were to order again though, it`d be a manual.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Have to say after nine months I might lean the same way next time around. It just seems to guess wrong or hesitates just when you would rather it didn't.

Phil

Wolfsburger said:
The DSG is a good gearbox but it`s not perfect. There are many threads on here listing the pros and cons of the system. It can get confused in normal driving, sometimes selecting a lower gear than you`d like it to.

If I were to order again though, it`d be a manual.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
John P Gillard said:
Funny that...I had the pleasure of "borrowing" the fleet 9114S (997) only last weekend (as I had just sold my Rangey and was "carless").

The "S-tronic" box on that was...to be polite (and clean for admin sake) a pile of poo!...

seriously it was really basic, it has no interatction with the gearstick at all...which in effect becomes a switch for Drive-Neutral-reverse (you cant select a drive gear at all)...it has no paddles, just little button's on the steering wheel that look like the volume controls on any other car and are constantly being nudged by accident.

It had no finesse when switching gears, no blip of the throttle or double de-clutching on the down shift...just a really basic box of up-down cogs.

Went like a rocket and sounded fantastic...but the gearbox is just kind of on...or off...

Perhaps I had a basic spec (which seems unlikley as it was my one of my Boss's motors and generally, he dosent compromise on car spec's...ever..)

PS sorry for the new thread...what a spanner
The porsche gearbox is a tiptronic. This is not the same as DSG/S-Tronic. The tiptronic is an old style auto with a torque converter. Albeit with some clever electronics to control its operation.

S-Tronic is Audi's new, improved version of the DSG - but both use a double wet-plate clutch mechanism controlled by computer. No torque convertor and hence, no loss of power. That's why the s-tronic TT is faster that the manual TT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.