Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Audi TT 3.2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
** Disclaimer :: If you prefer the DSG, please post about how great it is in your own thread! ( I agree its a great piece of machinery!) The point of this thread is to document process, parts, and procedure for the swap, not to discuss the pros & cons of both units and their intended design/superiority, or one's individual preference on which better suits the car. THANK YOU!**

Hello all,

Looking to gather some info/intel from anyone who might be able to help as I begin my quest to convert my DSG to 6spd (US did not get the manual option for the 3.2). I know this spec is even pretty rare on your side of the pond, but hoping I can acquire either of two things here with this thread.

1 - Documentation or write-up of anyone who has done the swap successfully, on a Mk1 TT 3.2. All I can find thus far is THIS, which seemingly has died and I am not sure if this member completed the project.

OR

2 - Are there any 3.2 Manual owners that can assist with details of their car in stock form to help me out? If possible, a full vcds scan that shows module specific coding might be very helpful. And some freedom to ping you for pulling some parts numbers as needed.

Let me know if you can help! My attempt at a contribution after some research is below.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have a pretty firm grasp on the hardware side of things, but the software and any coding/wiring challenges is always the sticking point of these swaps. I have already sourced a UK 3.2 6mt ECU from UK's eBay, so my plan B is to defeat the IMMO on that, if I cannot get me US DSG ecu recoded with my tuner. Either way, I will still likely have to deal with coding other modules to accept these changes - ABS, AWD, Cluster, who knows what else! To get this fully functioning without communication gaps or DTC's.

Here's my ongoing list of "needed" parts, some of which I have acquired. But It is my working list at the moment.

Under the hood/car:
02M/O2Y Trans (GQV code) from a mk4 r32 or mk1 3.2tt. TT225 uses a different bellhousing for the 4cyl block.
Bevel Box Transfer Case from that trans (1.8T or 3.2 will work, NOT DSG Though)
Associated Brackets for the Bevel Box (I think DSG is different, will confirm)
6MT Front Axles from a 3.2 manual car (r32 or TT). DSG are different!
Transmission Mount - Upper (DSG is 3-bolt, 6MT is 2-bolt)
Transmission Mount Bracket b/w Trans and Chassis Mount (Again, different mounting holes, and possibly height)
Transmission Mount - DogBone (Pending this, I think they are the same, waiting to compare to a friends r32 as they have the same part# stamped on them)
Clutch and Flywheel (match these to your donor trans, but any 24v VR6 will likely work)
Shifter Cables and Bracket that run to trans (might be TT specific here as well for routing clearance)
Shifter Endlinks, Clips, and Bushings (given, but im making a full list here, youll need everything for 100%)
Shifter weight/Lever on Transmission. OEM or aftermarket short-shifter.
R32 or 6mt Starter . DSG/02E is a different design
Transmission cover plate/gasket - Note sure on this, r32 part # seems unique, not sure on DSG TT. Cannot locate part# yet.
Slave/associated clutch line with bleeder valve.
Reverse Sensors and Diff Speed sensor, and pigtails (these are integrated into mechatronics wiring with DSG but independent on 6MT cars I believe)
Brake fluid Reservoir with clutch nipple (some auto cars have a pinched port you can cut)
Power Steering High Pressure line (pump to Rack). Routing is different between DSG and 6MT cars. Custom fittings/hose might be an option vs. OEM.
Engine Cooling Hose - Heater to Block - the DSG hose splices to the DSG cooler, 6MT goes straight to T-Stat Housing. Swap this hose or Cap the 3-way.
Engine Cooling House Cap - Splice at aux pump feeds other side of DSG cooler, Cap or run a 2-way here as well to mimic the R32/6MT routing.

Inside the car:
Shifter Assembly (TT only NOT R32), as there is an offset design to clear the shifter trim on TT and golf/r32 will likely interfere)
Shifter Trim. knob, and boot (Manual ring and console piece is slightly different than auto version)
Clutch Pedal with mechanics and switch, and hose to reservoir
Brake pedal with smaller "square" vs large "rectangle" pedal.
Position switches and pigtails for loom (Cruise Control and on/off for clutch)
Steering Wheel w/o paddles (if ya wanna get real fancy)
Shifter Assembly Bracket? (not sure on this one, but there is a large metal bracket that the console bolts to. Might be different on the manuals)

So far I have inbound: Shifter assembly (Column, cables, boot & knob, cable bracket with endlinks) and 6MT TT ECU coming in from the UK. Hoping these fit to my LHD car but honestly not that confident. If they don't fit ill have to try a US TT225 6MT setup perhaps. Pedals from a TT225, mk4 r32 trans & axles, I already have a MK4 R32 VF Trans mount, a ton of hardware/bolts for the bevel box, manual steering wheel, and some shifter parts. I am slowly but surely getting there.

I will of course update this thread and produce a more thorough version once I have completed this swap. I am a newcommer here on the TTF but I have done some other builds in the past that were not documented by others before, so happy to try and get this one done and shared for anyone else.

Please share any and all info you have regarding this swap, thank you!

·
Registered
2005 Audi TT 3.2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple random thoughts before I forget :

1 ) HPA has built a few mk1 TT's in North America that have vr6 engines and 6MT's. (one is a 3.2 and another is a 2.8TT). Neither of which are documented but it gives me hope that the swap is feasible.
2) Wondering If I am missing anything major? Is there a separate TCU mounted in the car somewhere for the DSG, I would like to delete that with the wiring if possible.
3) R32 or TT 3.2 6MT Loom, from ECU to engine therefore, might be necessary for cleanliness. As a lot of transmission signals go to the plenum connection in the rain tray.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Might be worth speaking to tuffty over on audi-sport.net believe he's done the opposite with his 8l S3 vr6 (manual to dsg) so might have some good knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
I swapped my 6MT box to a DQ250 in my 1.8. Probably an easier swap as I get to remove things like the clutch pedal.From my experiences the LHS engine mount of a DSG will fit a manual transmission. A manual mount will fit a DSG you only get two bolts though. A DSG mount has the third bolt to cope with the extra weight of the box I believe think you will find the LHS driveshaft will be the same length , The RHS is a different length.
I recoded my ABS module and cluster to work with the DSG gearbox, You should be able to do the same I would have thought.
Dogbone is the same between manual and DSG, I am using the same one .
The PAS high pressure line you have would probably be good,I had to replace the manual gearbox HP line as the DSG box is a lot bigger around the front where the mechatronic is, The manual line has many bends in it to act as a cooler. You could have a quick look through my build thread and you may find some bits.

·
Registered
2005 Audi TT 3.2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious where you are in the US? Will definitely follow this project. Good luck!
Thanks - I will document as much as I possibly can. I am located about an hour from Chicago, IL.

Might be worth speaking to tuffty over on audi-sport.net believe he's done the opposite with his 8l S3 vr6 (manual to dsg) so might have some good knowledge.
Thank you for the link, I saw this mentioned elsewhere so I will be checking this out as well.

I swapped my 6MT box to a DQ250 in my 1.8. Probably an easier swap as I get to remove things like the clutch pedal.From my experiences the LHS engine mount of a DSG will fit a manual transmission. A manual mount will fit a DSG you only get two bolts though. A DSG mount has the third bolt to cope with the extra weight of the box I believe think you will find the LHS driveshaft will be the same length , The RHS is a different length.
I recoded my ABS module and cluster to work with the DSG gearbox, You should be able to do the same I would have thought.
Dogbone is the same between manual and DSG, I am using the same one .
The PAS high pressure line you have would probably be good,I had to replace the manual gearbox HP line as the DSG box is a lot bigger around the front where the mechatronic is, The manual line has many bends in it to act as a cooler. You could have a quick look through my build thread and you may find some bits.
Thank you for all this info - good to hear on ABS & Cluster. When my cluster was rebuilt, and bench tested - it powered up like it was a manual, (without my Auto it seemed to default to M/T display) so I felt confident but hearing your confirmation is the right direction!

Agree on the PS line, Just looking at my buddy's r32, it indeed has more curves and length.

I currently am using a hybrid of two VFEngineering mounts for my DSG setup. I have a MK4 R32 Frame rail/base section, and a mkv r32 middle bracket, and am using two of the smaller height bushings. After this, everything lines up, but I needed to add a 5mm spacer to mimic the final dimensions of the OEM DSG mount on the TT. Since I never used the 6MT middle bracket, I still have it, and am hoping I can simply swap over to that un-used piece and be good.

mkv on left, mk4 on right

middle bracket swapped over, w/ spacer

·
Registered
434 Posts
There's a guy on IG that just completed this swap on a cream colored TT here in the US. If I recall the name, I'll post it here.

I see what you did there with the mount for the DSG...I'm looking for a solution for DSG mount and may go this route as well (hybrid) although ply filling as suggested by deserstorm is appealing on cost too!

Finally, following this thread - hope this goes easy! manual 3.2 TT would be great!

·
Registered
2005 Audi TT 3.2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice def let me know if you can find the account, although I do think I remember seeing a cream TT on a YouTube video before, maybe it’s the same one. Custom color?

I have tried the polyfill in the past with mixed results. Thankfully the VF thing I did means I have the other combination of parts to make it work now.

update:got A GQV trans and bevel box this week, and my TT shifter box and cables arrived. Also some misc hardware and a set of fresh pedals.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi DB, I just saw your post... I can help you. I have done the swap on my 2005 DSG last summer. It's working perfectly (all faults lights are cleared) . I've made a list of all the parts number I needed for the swap months before I started by comparing parts number between the MT and DSG 3.2 on online parts catalogs. I also spent countless hours studying the electrical diagrams to figure out how I would connect everything since there was nothing available online. I will make a post explaining my swap shortly.

You have pretty much figured out what is needed. Note that the dog bone is the same for DSG and MT and that the bracket between the transfer case and the engine block is different ( r32 or TT 3.2 manual)

White Light Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle

Reactions: DBVeeDB

·
Registered
2005 Audi TT 3.2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey CaptRon! Excellent news - also good to hear as I hadn’t yet compared the bevelbox/trans after case part numbers (but my r32 trans is coming with a bracket so I’m glad I asked for it!)

looking forward to your post, especially the wiring as I can start doing that before I get everything sourced.I too have a spreadsheet going with basically 4 columns of part numbers: us dsg TT, mk4 r32, us mk1 TT225Q and UK mk1 tt3.2 6mt. Cross referencing what I can where I can using eBay/etka/ECS and forums. Would love to compare and confirm as much as possible so we can get this documented ! 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts