Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola !!!!

As I seem to be throwing dosh at the car at the moment and am about to get and fit my new Mad Max DV and 3" TIP, im toying with the idea of doing the DV cold side relocation. Besides it recircing cooler excess pressure back into the system are there any other benefits??

Is the Forge kit the best on to got for???

I guess I could fire a catch can in at the same time and really and ensure all gases going into the intake are in the best state they can be! thoughts...... suggestions???????

Cheers

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Wouldn't bother with the relocation myself. Had it fitted one mine and ended up with problems. There really are no real world benefits apart from slightly cooler air, but you loose a lot more pressure from the entire system emptying rather than a small part of it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ummmmm.... how does it vent more pressure out of interest?? your basically only moving the point where the pressure is vented from the charge pipe to the outlet on the pipe to the IM??

Cheers

·
Registered
966 Posts
Main benefit of cold side relocation is better reliability of the DV as it doesn't get so hot. If it's a piston type DV the lubrication dries out quicker and DV can stick in standard hot side location.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
TTQ2K2 said:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=16546930

See steve schwings thread above for theory and data supporting benefits of DV relo. Not just seat of the pants guestimates.

[smiley=cheers.gif]
I've either not seen the actual data supporting this, or its not there...

No facts supporting this..

A Few open Questions:
1. The device the DV is there to assist is the turbo.. so why release the pressure on the turbo furthest away from the turbo?
2. How much compressed air do you believe actually vents in cfm vs the total flow being consumed by the engine?
3. When you are on the throttle, the DV is venting nothing (hopefully!) so what loss of power due to temps is being thought of as hurting power?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok.... good points..... so why has this kit been developed??? [smiley=book2.gif]

The only point I can comment on ref Bill's points is that if you dump the hot air/pressure into the turbo intake, its still going to be hot when you get back on the throttle and its in the drawn into the system... so cooler air/pressure in's got to be at least slightly better...... even more so as she's being treated to one of Bill's fine MK3 TIP's :p

the main driver for me was seeing the size of my new Mad Max DV and concern over trying to get it fitted in the original position without messing around to much... it'll also make it easier to install my catch can.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im really just trying to do as much as I can to optimize the air quality and temp when it hits the intake manifold

Cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
Theres still no comments on the cheap catch can yet. Has anyone fitted one? So much cheaper than forge version.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
badger5 said:
TTQ2K2 said:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=16546930

See steve schwings thread above for theory and data supporting benefits of DV relo. Not just seat of the pants guestimates.

[smiley=cheers.gif]
I've either not seen the actual data supporting this, or its not there...

No facts supporting this..

A Few open Questions:
1. The device the DV is there to assist is the turbo.. so why release the pressure on the turbo furthest away from the turbo?
2. How much compressed air do you believe actually vents in cfm vs the total flow being consumed by the engine?
3. When you are on the throttle, the DV is venting nothing (hopefully!) so what loss of power due to temps is being thought of as hurting power?
Ref. #1. yes to assist the turbo...in a sense. As I understand it, the system is basically closed and relatively short. Because it is closed, the main function of the DV is to bleed off excess/damaging pressure that has no where to go but backwards through the turbo (spinning its blades backwards). Because it is relatively short, moving the DV 10-15cm really doesn't do much.
Ref. #2. got nothing.
Ref. #3. with the DV moved, cooler air from the IC is "diverted" to the intake versus hot air and that cool air is more dense. Cool/dense air equates to more power (same reason for having intercoolers)....that's all I got. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts