Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped the question out of the blue whilst on holiday skiing the week before last. Obviously didn't have a ring so made one out of the tinfoil the jacket potato I was eating came in :p . Anyway after some advice we made a trip to the Jewellry Quarter in Birmingham on Saturday on a bit of a research mission. We saw this online prior to going that we both liked:

http://365-diamond.com/engagement-r...y_ringsize=K&jewelry_metal=324#ProductsImages

And we saw several in the shops of a similar design - prices in the Jewellry Quarter were good and they all seemed to price match - 1st shop had a similar one and quoted: 1ct Platinum G SI1 £2800?.

Anyway we saw this.....:
http://www.avantgardejewellery.co.u...unique-engagement-ring-paul-spurgeon-wave.php

Which doesn't look too good on that link but it was nice, oh was it nice :roll: Its expensive though - its a .50ct G, VS1 diamond set in platinum @ £5k.... It is by some renowned designer (Paul Spurgeon) and it uses a new diamond cut - 'Iceflower'? It was really nice but we could get a 1CT G VS1 ring in various designs for less.

We didn't end up getting anything but need to pretty soon. We were wondering whether getting one made would be an option?

Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Both beautiful rings - especially the second one. One thing to remember though, the ring will eventually have to sit next to a wedding band on her finger so the first one you posted may be a bit awkward. Even if the ring sat over the band it could rub into it, possibly causing wear on both rings. That said, you could probably get a band shaped o fit around the engagement ring.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi there, I was looking for advice and I got some from Mark ( AKA Conlechi ), I ended up buying the diamond from Blue Nile and having it set. The bonus was at the time the exchange rate was really good ($2 to £1) and I also managed to collect it in person whilst over in New York so if you fancy a trip over you could always slip the ring on over there and avoid paying the import tax :wink:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Having a ring made at present actually.

I was looking at platinum but for the extra cost over white gold you can put that money back in to a bigger nicer stone :) and if its cleaned regularly anyway it will look just as good as platinum for the life of the ring.

Most independent Jewellers will make custom rings so i would go in and ask them what sort of stones they have available etc and the cost to make one - that way you can also customise is slightly to your own tastes, and also as the comment above points out - although the 'wave' design is nice its meant to be a timeless piece of jewellery and this design will date alot faster than a classical design will (if ever).

I would go for white gold to save on teh platinum and aim as close to a 1ct stone as possible any clarity from VS2 is not noticeable to an untrained eye and a colour G or F will allow you to buy a very fantastic stone a little bigger .80 - 1.0ct for what should be a good price and it will look amazing.

the first design is very nice - alot more classic and it will be timeless and a wedding band will fit nicely.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
mav696 said:
Hi there, I was looking for advice and I got some from Mark ( AKA Conlechi ), I ended up buying the diamond from Blue Nile and having it set. The bonus was at the time the exchange rate was really good ($2 to £1) and I also managed to collect it in person whilst over in New York so if you fancy a trip over you could always slip the ring on over there and avoid paying the import tax :wink:
I second the recommendation to speak to Mark (Conlechi). I recently had an eternity ring made by Mark and very happy with the results.

·
Registered
492 Posts
hi I am a jeweller those rings are very nice but vastly overpriced go to a good independent and get what u want for sensible money cheers salty

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Those rings are nice but personally I would go for a 2 carrot certified diamond or 3 if you can push it financially, with a unique shape, set in white gold where the diamond sits on top of the finger so you see it's eligant sparkle and more so when she has the wedding ring on and then in years an eternity ring also. She will be keeping it, wearing it and have to love it for life also ;)
Personally I'm not a fan of enclosed diamonds with metal around it and the the shape that has been selected you would have to have a wedding ring made to the same shape. That diamond will be lost once you get alot more metal on that finger surrounding it :). Encourage her to get something that sits on top of the finger :). Take her out to try on a load 8). I love diamond rings definately a girls best friend indeed [smiley=sunny.gif]

Oh and congratulations also :D . Are you going to have a long engagement or a shortie one? :p

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dotti said:
Those rings are nice but personally I would go for a 2 carrot certified diamond or 3 if you can push it financially, with a unique shape, set in white gold where the diamond sits on top of the finger so you see it's eligant sparkle and more so when she has the wedding ring on and then in years an eternity ring also. She will be keeping it, wearing it and have to love it for life also ;)
Personally I'm not a fan of enclosed diamonds with metal around it and the the shape that has been selected you would have to have a wedding ring made to the same shape. That diamond will be lost once you get alot more metal on that finger surrounding it :). Encourage her to get something that sits on top of the finger :). Take her out to try on a load 8). I love diamond rings definately a girls best friend indeed [smiley=sunny.gif]

Oh and congratulations also :D . Are you going to have a long engagement or a shortie one? :p
2 carat? I seriously don't think that's going to happen unless I win the lottery :?
I am not a fan of huge diamonds and think it looks a bit 'chavvy' - sorry...
I prefer the 1st one, however the Paul Spurgeon one was beautiful. I think we are going to take another trip to the Jewellry Quarter on Friday.

Thanks for the congratulations :eek:)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Congrats on popping the question . :) Ive always wondered what does the man get when the lady ends up with a ring besides the bill ! . Seems a tad unfair to me . But hey maybe just me ! :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dotti said:
Personally I'm not a fan of enclosed diamonds with metal around it and the the shape that has been selected you would have to have a wedding ring made to the same shape. That diamond will be lost once you get alot more metal on that finger surrounding it :).
I second Dotti about not having the stone enclosed. 4 claws allows the light through making it sparkle even more. Wheras fully enclosed blocks off a lot of the light.

Make colour the priority, as thats something that is noticeable to the naked eye. Wheras imperfections aren't noticeable other than under a microscope. And then get her to try on different size stones until there is one that fits her finger and your budget perfectly. I wanted a huge stone, but then my fingers were too small to carry it off :x

However, on the metal front, I have heard that white gold is a coating which rubs off to become yellow gold with time. Others may know more about this than me...

Good luck :)

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
ADB said:
2 carat? I seriously don't think that's going to happen unless I win the lottery :?
I am not a fan of huge diamonds and think it looks a bit 'chavvy' - sorry...
I prefer the 1st one, however the Paul Spurgeon one was beautiful. I think we are going to take another trip to the Jewellry Quarter on Friday.

Thanks for the congratulations :eek:)
Have you seen a single 2ct solitaire diamond? Do you honestly think that looks chavvy? The clarity and the feel that a woman has when she wears a her engagement ring when someone notices is a lovely feeling. I suppose it depends on your fingers and the state of your nails then it would look chavvy!

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you are in London - pop into Hatton Garden - not on a Sat...

They have loads of diamonds - mine is insured for 25% more than my hubbie paid for it. I don't think I am supposed to know this. :lol:

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Girl Smiffy said:
If you are in London - pop into Hatton Garden - not on a Sat...

They have loads of diamonds - mine is insured for 25% more than my hubbie paid for it. I don't think I am supposed to know this. :lol:
Hatton Garden agreed and Girl Smiffy your a nice diamond girlie I can tell ;)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I might be old fashioned, but white gold/platinum really does nothing for me. To me, it just looks like silver...

Much prefer yellow gold.

Good job I'm not responsible for choosing it!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Like others have said find a silversmith and work with them to design a bespoke piece of jewelry, you will get a one off and there is something special with that and the sentimental value of is fantastic. It is much more cost effective than you think.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
the stig said:
Congrats on popping the question . :) Ive always wondered what does the man get when the lady ends up with a ring besides the bill ! . Seems a tad unfair to me . But hey maybe just me ! :roll:
He gets a woman of his dreams for life.............erm........yey [smiley=bigcry.gif] !!
The Birmingham quarter is one of the best places to go for a diamonds. I purchased mine from there too, an emerald cut in platinum .85ct i think with smaller baguettes either side. I did save loads but a got a very good quality diamond, much better than the high streets offers. The savings i made went towards new set of rubbers of which i had great fun!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.