Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My TT is now over 4 years old and has clocked up 77,000 miles. It's always been fully serviced by audi dealer and has ran pretty damn well since I got it.

I was driving today and the engine management system warning light came on. This was persistent in that it remained on (not flashing) whilst driving. It also reappeared as soon as I started the car after leaving it for a couple of hours.

I called Audi who basically scared the hell out of me. They were pretty insistent that I don't drive the car as this could cause further damage and were suggesting they send a pick up truck to collect it. I didn't go for this option but agreed to bring it in for them to do some diagnostic stuff on it on Monday. They indicated they were going to charge £82 per hour on this but would not give me any idea about how long it would take.

Shortly after arranging this...I've got back in the car to discover that the light has gone off....and it has remained off over the past hour. Any advice please on what to do?

Is it dangerous to keep driving and see if the light re-appears? I'm pretty skint just now....or should I just bite the bullet and take my car on a wallet emptying trip to my local dealers?

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
You need to have a vagcom scan to see whats happening , any good independant Audi / Vag garages near you or even a helpful forum member with vagcom in your area :)

Mark

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok....just had a Vagcom done. Many thanks to freegeek for helping me out with that. :)

It threw up the following faults when first run

16486 Mass air flow sensor. Signal too low
17511 Oxygen sensor.
16725 Camshaft position sensor. Implausible position

All faults showed up as being intermittent. We cleared the system and took it for a short drive with the vagcom running. It showed no faults throughout this.

Anybody got any further advice. Jim (freegeek) felt that some of the faults may have just been due to noise and he felt that there was unlikely to be anything majorly wrong with my car. Hopefully someone can back this up.

On another note....I'm more than a little annoyed at my dealer telling me it can take 30 mins to 1hr just to run the vagcom check. More like 1-5 mins!

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
if it feels smooth and running fine, then its likely to be an emissions issue like a temp sender or air mass meter.... just stay off full power and keep it tame until you get the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the thing. It's not really been running smooth for a few weeks now. It's a bit erratic at idling with the rev meter drifting up and down a little. And occasionally the car cuts out when I'm I have the clutch dipped changing down gears

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
try pulling the air mass meter connector plug and run it disconnected see how it behaves. it could be a leak on the vacuum side as well from the symptoms.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok....done that this morning and the idling problem I mentioned immediately got 100 times worse. It's like someone is gently pressing and unpressing the accelerator every second.

This is with the connector just hanging loose.....is that what you were asking me to do?

If so...what do these symptoms mean and should I reconnect it?

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
If your MAF has been giving a low signal for a while it could have caused the ECU to learn some odd adaptation values. It may also trigger he oygen sensor fault but the camshaft position is odd and may be something else. You could try clearing the adaptation values out and forcing the ECU to re-learn from scratch.

For an ECU reset pull fuse 10 (pre 10.2001) or fuse 37 (post 10.2001). Remoe the fuse for a couple of minutes with the ignition OFF. Then replace it.

Keep your MAF disconnected and try it again to see if it's better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know how to do that :oops:

Will I just run it disconnected for the day and see if there's a change? To clarify....there is a clear difference between the AMM being disconnected and connected. When connected.....I get the ongoing problem with the car idling being abit erratic. Every 20 seconds or so the rev counter will dip and then shoot up a bit and you can hear the engine rev slightly. With the AMM disconnected it does this every second.

I suppose what I'm wondering is ... is this a faulty AMM where the ECU just needs reset and the AMM replaced. OR.....is there another problem which the AMM is managing to smooth out a bit when connected.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
astirling said:
Ok....done that this morning and the idling problem I mentioned immediately got 100 times worse. It's like someone is gently pressing and unpressing the accelerator every second.

This is with the connector just hanging loose.....is that what you were asking me to do?

If so...what do these symptoms mean and should I reconnect it?
This sounds like coilpacks.

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
The fuses are at the end of the dash on the drivers side. Open the door and pull off the pannel. Pull up the rear edge first and notice where the spring clips go for putting it back in. There's a little white peg like clip for pulling the fuses out.

See here: http://www.wak-tt.com/fuses/fuses.htm

If it runs smoother after the ECU reset it would indicate the MAF was likely to be causing problems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok...pulled that fuse with the engine off and plugged it back in.
(that's right eh?)

Started the engine and just the same. Constantly erratic with the AMM disconnected. Plugged it back in and the it was back to being better but still not great.

Not sure if this is any help....but the ESP light has a habit of coming on when the revs dip too low.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Saturday morning is free although I need to be back for half 12 to watch the football. It would be amazing if you could get someone to look at it for me. :D

Could you PM me with the details?

Many thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
astirling said:
Saturday morning is free although I need to be back for half 12 to watch the football. It would be amazing if you could get someone to look at it for me. :D

Could you PM me with the details?

Many thanks

Andrew
you have pm :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.