Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve unfortunately got the dreaded cross threaded holes on the engine mount bracket.

In order to remove this to swap it for another I have is it a case of simply jacking the engine up to gain access to the lowest bolt of 3 to remove the mount?

Tool Bicycle part Composite material Auto part Metal

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If memory serves me correct (from doing the cam belt on my BAM 18 months ago) that bracket will only wiggle free once the engine has been jacked up far enough AND the water pump has been removed :confused:.
I definitely remember having to have the engine mount bracket in-situ before the water pump was installed…..
Am sure someone can correct me if I’m wrong!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If memory serves me correct (from doing the cam belt on my BAM 18 months ago) that bracket will only wiggle free once the engine has been jacked up far enough AND the water pump has been removed :confused:.
I definitely remember having to have the engine mount bracket in-situ before the water pump was installed…..
Am sure someone can correct me if I’m wrong!
Your 100% right….. I’ve decided I’m going to helicoil the one already fitted to the engine as it’s less headache and will be stronger than the original soft metal.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Sounds like a plan.
Just remember when you have helicoiled the mount not to follow the manuals torque figure as most of them give far too high a figure , which often causes the threads to strip out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plan.
Just remember when you have helicoiled the mount not to follow the manuals torque figure as most of them give far too high a figure , which often causes the threads to strip out.
Ohhhh I’ve learnt a valuable lesson, that’s possibly how I got in this predicament…. following my Haynes and not checking the forum as well which I normally would do. However on removing the original bolts they took some of the thread with them. I think it’s as a result of being done up way too tight by the person who replaced my engine a few years back.

We live and learn just want to get it sorted so i can crack on with the passenger side.

Hoping the 034 Motorsport mounts are worth all this trouble as this has been a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Ohhhh I’ve learnt a valuable lesson, that’s possibly how I got in this predicament…. following my Haynes and not checking the forum as well which I normally would do. However on removing the original bolts they took some of the thread with them. I think it’s as a result of being done up way too tight by the person who replaced my engine a few years back.

We live and learn just want to get it sorted so i can crack on with the passenger side.

Hoping the 034 Motorsport mounts are worth all this trouble as this has been a nightmare.
Yes it doesn’t seem to be all that well known about, have to say that I found out about it from this very forum!
Product Font Screenshot Material property Technology

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I tackled what felt like it would be the impossible, such a tedious task but took my time and got it all done.

One engine mount bracket drilled and thread repaired and strengthened. One transmission mount fitted and I re-tapped a cross threaded hole securing the mount to the body.

All torqued to the correct nm + 1/4 turn, new bolts all round and cleaned up the areas where the mounts sit…… It’s a very satisfying feeling getting stuff done 👍🏿

Have to say just the engine mount fitted made a hell of a difference engine movement wise but having them both fitted the car drives so much better no more movement. My original mounts were well past it so very happy I got these.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Road surface Automotive design Bumper
Liquid Water Fluid Flash photography Circle
Water Wood Gas Automotive tire Metal
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Black
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive exterior
Gas Font Auto part Metal Nut
Rectangle Camera accessory Gadget Circuit component Electronic device
Automotive tire Nickel Gas Cylinder Rim
Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Hood Black
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car Hood

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Glad you got it sorted , you didn’t torque to 60nm + 1/4 turn though did you? :oops:
85nm with no turn is ample?
I’m talking about the bolts into the aluminium engine mount here , the bolts into the steel body are fine to use the nm figure + angular turn.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you got it sorted , you didn’t torque to 60nm + 1/4 turn though did you? :oops:
85nm with no turn is ample?
I’m talking about the bolts into the aluminium engine mount here , the bolts into the steel body are fine to use the nm figure + angular turn.
Yeah they are 60nm + quarter turn.
The aluminium engine mount is now steel 😉

I believe the 85nm is lightly oiled but 60nm dry no oil is correct.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Fair enough if you’ve helicoiled them but as per the post by John-H that I quoted above he reckons that 60nm + 1/4 turn equates to 320nm :oops: and that the manuals only state 80nm with no turn for the gearbox side mount.
IIRC the 2 smaller mount bolts into the steel captive nuts of the body are 40nm + 1/4 turn but they don’t give any problems as the bolts stretch as they are designed to do.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fair enough if you’ve helicoiled them but as per the post by John-H that I quoted above he reckons that 60nm + 1/4 turn equates to 320nm :oops: and that the manuals only state 80nm with no turn for the gearbox side mount.
IIRC the 2 smaller mount bolts into the steel captive nuts of the body are 40nm + 1/4 turn but they don’t give any problems as the bolts stretch as they are designed to do.
It’s definitely 60nm dry with Audi bolts. I’ve read Johns post and to be fair the cause of his issue was the same as mine. When I removed the original bolts some of the aluminium came out with the old bolts when the new bolts went in the original thread was already damaged. I attempted to re-tap them and couldn’t get anywhere near 60nm before they gave way, therefore requiring a new mount which I got just thought it would be easier to repair the existing mount than mess with the timing belt. I think it couldn’t be avoided as they have been in for 21 years.

The aluminium holes are now helicoiled so there shouldn’t be any issues.

The aluminium was ridiculously soft, seriously like butter when drilling. I can see why they would strip so easy.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I was lucky with mine then as I tightened the large bolts to just 85Nm and no more , just guess I was fortunate that nobody in the past had overtightened them…

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was lucky with mine then as I tightened the large bolts to just 85Nm and no more , just guess I was fortunate that nobody in the past had overtightened them…
That was definitely what caused my issue I had an engine replacement and unfortunately the mechanic didn’t do some things as well as they should have, needless to say I’m now even more picky about who works on my car.

Thanks for the advice though, best thing about this forum is having like minded people to support each other. 👍🏿

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
I don't really bother with torque wrenches for most normal bolts, unless they are new stretch bolts, hidden after fitting something else, head bolts, or loads or little.
You know when something is tight and whether it is small or big. Definitely no extra 1/4 turn on reusing pre-stretched bolt.

So I will do for the wheel hubs because the bearings need them, and it needs to be hundreds, so I need a bigger torque wrench anyway. But even that.. you could probably just get away with really tight, tighter, then an extra 90° with the up downs as required

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't really bother with torque wrenches for most normal bolts, unless they are new stretch bolts, hidden after fitting something else, head bolts, or loads or little.
You know when something is tight and whether it is small or big. Definitely no extra 1/4 turn on reusing pre-stretched bolt.

So I will do for the wheel hubs because the bearings need them, and it needs to be hundreds, so I need a bigger torque wrench anyway. But even that.. you could probably just get away with really tight, tighter, then an extra 90° with the up downs as required
I agree. I use mine as a guide as they vary in accuracy even though they are calibrated.

All of the bolts required me to use significant force to tighten them. As you say you can feel it, was just satisfying to achieve the suggested manufactures figures. I’m just glad i didn’t mess up a second time.

Wheel hubs are gonna be tight, hopefully they won’t be too difficult to remove for you.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
I'm just putting the drive shafts back in, but the tightening sequence is the same. The last 90° movement.... a 14 stone man with a 3ft breaker bar, and an axle stand tube as an extension couldn't manage the movement in one smooth action, I needed to do 45+45

1 - 16 of 16 Posts