Audi TT Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
very nice... if you have all those internals can't you go for a better turbo ?

Turbo rebuilds do a Hybrid CHRA which fits the stock compressor housing and hotside - and you could open up the china fold and stock hotside for a bit more gas. you'll be comfortably over 330 ft/lb torque at peak 3500-4500 with that setup you can get 330ft/lb from a stock turbo if you run it flat out - it'll just run out of energy at 5500rpm

I had that setup running for a bit before getting my AET VT262-C

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
StuartDB said:
very nice... if you have all those internals can't you go for a better turbo ?

Turbo rebuilds do a Hybrid CHRA which fits the stock compressor housing and hotside - and you could open up the china fold and stock hotside for a bit more gas. you'll be comfortably over 330 ft/lb torque at peak 3500-4500 with that setup you can get 330ft/lb from a stock turbo if you run it flat out - it'll just run out of energy at 5500rpm

I had that setup running for a bit before getting my AET VT262-C
I have considered a hybrid but for now I'm aiming for a solid stage 1 kind of power level that I can thrash all day on track. Perhaps in a couple of years time I will look at a spicy turbo? It's difficult avoiding 'feature creep' when modifying cars, I didn't particularly want the exhaust valves but the engineering firm I use were concerned about regrinding those pitted valves.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have just fitted the uprated bearing CHRA and hotside from Turbo rebuilds.
They answer email or their website messaging the next day at the latest. They will chat on the Messaging if not busy.

One thing about the hotside was i had to fit a 3mm spacer on the EGT thermocouple as the securing collar bottomed out and the probe was still loose. It's all working fine and i did inform them and they were checking their other stock.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have just fitted the uprated bearing CHRA and hotside from Turbo rebuilds.
They answer email or their website messaging the next day at the latest. They will chat on the Messaging if not busy.

One thing about the hotside was i had to fit a 3mm spacer on the EGT thermocouple as the securing collar bottomed out and the probe was still loose. It's all working fine and i did inform them and they were checking their other stock.
Good shout on the email, I've had a prompt reply so need to sort out sending my turbo. Mine is an APX so no EGT probe.

Chinafold turned up this week much quicker than expected. Will get a friend with a die grinder to open the ports up and then run the mill across the turbo flange face.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lots of progress over the last couple of weeks.

Crank bearing clearance measured and installed.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas
Finger Font Material property Hand tool Nail

Piston rings sized.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Engineering Auto part

Conrods fitted.
Hand tool Tool Wood Household hardware Material property

Bicycle part Tool Nut Nickel Gas

Piston installed and big end bearing clearance checked.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Cylinder head is taking a while as there is corrosion in the water ways and so they are welding it up before skimming it back. Should have that and 20 new valve guides + cutting.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Automotive tire

Turbo parts have turned up. This is turborebuilds 'uprated' chra with better bearings etc but standard dimensions and their aftermarket hotside. The casting looks good and the wastegate port size matches the original. I gave my compressor housing a quick wire brushing and degreasing but if you wanted it to look new then perhaps vapour blasting it would work.

Auto part Personal protective equipment Metal Titanium Rim

Household hardware Bicycle part Rim Auto part Composite material

Auto part Bicycle part Metal Fashion accessory Rim

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Glove Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Taking these photos I noticed the coolant? passage bung is in the wrong hole but I think that just swaps over. Assembly should be the revese of disassembly but I forgot to mark the housing for 'clocking' so it may take some adjustment once it's fitted to the manifold and engine.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
The compressor housing only has one place to fit to the chra (well maybe 1mm) and look at photos for the hotside to the chra, it's a bit obvious sort of central for the oil drain and the turbo support bracket bolt hole.

You will not be able to adjust it once its on the manifold as you won't reach all the 10mm bolts

don't over apply the sealant when fitting the compressor housing to the CHRA you don't want that flying round the charge circuit and in out the engine :D

41 - 49 of 49 Posts