Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
TT 8N 2000 Coupe Stock Standard
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have trolled through this and other forums and can't find matching symptoms.

I have been getting pretty regular ESP light activation. I'd like to say it happens when I'm giving it a boot full of power but then again, I do that quite a lot and I only get the light now and then.

As it says in the manual I switch the car off and start up again and the ESP light has cleared. The manual says that's ok, keep calm and drive on...but it bothers me, clearly something is not quite right.

I have no fault codes intermittent or permanent (except a heater flap signal, which I can live with and is hopefully not related!!). I have never had an ABS light (or any other warning light or signal).

My suspicion is a wheel speed or acceleration sensor but from what I can understand both would give a fault code and the wheel speed sensor would probably give an ABS light too.

By the way, from what I can tell (getting in to a hairpin WAY too hot on the race track) ESP and ABS work really really really well. The car just took over and kept me on the track.

So I'm baffled. Not a big deal but would love to know how to fix it and be sure there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi All,
I have trolled through this and other forums and can't find matching symptoms.

I have been getting pretty regular ESP light activation. I'd like to say it happens when I'm giving it a boot full of power but then again, I do that quite a lot and I only get the light now and then.

As it says in the manual I switch the car off and start up again and the ESP light has cleared. The manual says that's ok, keep calm and drive on...but it bothers me, clearly something is not quite right.

I have no fault codes intermittent or permanent (except a heater flap signal, which I can live with and is hopefully not related!!). I have never had an ABS light (or any other warning light or signal).

My suspicion is a wheel speed or acceleration sensor but from what I can understand both would give a fault code and the wheel speed sensor would probably give an ABS light too.

By the way, from what I can tell (getting in to a hairpin WAY too hot on the race track) ESP and ABS work really really really well. The car just took over and kept me on the track.

So I'm baffled. Not a big deal but would love to know how to fix it and be sure there's nothing wrong.
Can't really help but have same year and model. My esp light doesn't light up when I push the button but illuminates and goes out when I turn on ignition. It doesn't log a fault but recently told my yaw sensor in the wheel isn't functioning but that also doesn't throw up a code.
Perhaps it's related ?
Never tracked mine but often take it to the limit, feels really safe and planted but never has shown a light.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,052 Posts
Hi findTT, Probably a Long or Lan sensor fail. Are you using a Generic scanner as only a VAG specific scanner will find those faults.
I had the same problem & OBD Eleven found the faults.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hoggy,
thanks, I have been scanning using VCDS, header from scan report:
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 20.12.0.1 (x64)
Data version: 20201125 DS322.1
www.Ross-Tech.com

Not doubting you but interested to know what is your thinking around blaming accel sensors? Easy and cheap enough to replace them I guess, but I'd like to understand your thinking.

Maybe to capture for other searchers, would you mind putting up the part numbers for the sensors on this post?

Cheers
Dave

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,052 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem. Ign. off for a while & it may not appear for a few days. Got through a few MOTs without it reappearing, but then got permanent.
01279 - Longitudinal acceleration sensor was my fault.
ESP fault can be as simple as a dodgy MAF.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem. Ign. off for a while & it may not appear for a few days. Got through a few MOTs without it reappearing, but then got permanent.
01279 - Longitudinal acceleration sensor was my fault.
ESP fault can be as simple as a dodgy MAF.
Was told a mega expensive job ?
Mechanic said as not throwing a code
( which surprised him ) leave well alone.

·
Administrator
95,052 Posts
Was told a mega expensive job ?
Mechanic said as not throwing a code
( which surprised him ) leave well alone.
Hi Yes, OEM Long. sensor very expensive.
Hoggy. :) .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thw weid bit for me is that i have never had any fault code (apart from the hvac flap).

·
Registered
26 Posts
If a sensor is starting to fail it can give output that is consistent with a slide (long, lat or yaw) , or a wheel locking up or spinning (ABS).
That would not generate a fault code, the output may be wrong to an observer but as far as the system is concerned it is doing its job.
The first place I would check is the ABS sensors, look for debris or damage. The sensors works by "ticking" each time a tooth on the sensor ring passes. It needs to be close enough to read, and free of debris that might interfere.
You can try cleaning the MAF sensor too, that can mislead the ESP calculations.
Have you had any alignment work done, or replaced just one tyre on an axle?
Is your steering wheel level whem driving straight? I did once come across a brief comment on resetting the steering wheel sensor. Full lock right, full lock left drive straight forward. Stop, key to off and wait - IIRC. The full locks set the maximum possible input from the steering sensor, that followed by the drive straight ahead which then sets the straight position.
Steering angle, engine speed, engine load, wheel speeds, and lateral, longitudanal and rotational forces are all part of the esp calculations...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Magwych,
I had a wheel alignment done about a year ago. From memory the wheel was steering wheel was slightly off centre before that.
Car drives straight with wheel in centre now - but it sounds simple enough to do the steering wheel position calibration so I'll try that too.

I cleaned the MAF Sensor a few months ago but that's easy enough to do again,

Then I'll check the ABS Sensors (I'm assuming you mean the wheel speed sensors).

cheers

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks Magwych,
I had a wheel alignment done about a year ago. From memory the wheel was steering wheel was slightly off centre before that.
Car drives straight with wheel in centre now - but it sounds simple enough to do the steering wheel position calibration so I'll try that too.

I cleaned the MAF Sensor a few months ago but that's easy enough to do again,

Then I'll check the ABS Sensors (I'm assuming you mean the wheel speed sensors).

cheers
Make sure you use the correct cleaner, I found a can of carb cleaner knocking about so thought it was a good idea to use that with engine running.
Wrong ! Blew it up on the first squirt so had to replace it.
If like mine it's the original with lot's of mileage maybe worth replacing anyway ( with good one not Chinese trash ) then you can rule it out if problem persists.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, I have some genuine MAF cleaner and I’m pretty sure the sensor is working properly, no fault code anyway.
just need to find some time to get the wheels off and check the wheel speed sensors.
if there’s no problems there I think I’ll be looking at acceleration sensor replacements.
either that or learning to live with that occasional annoying ESP light

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
My esp light doesn't light up when I push the button but illuminates and goes out when I turn on ignition.
Faulty switch?
Or someone’s bypassed the dashboard ESP light with some electronics to cause it to appear to function correctly and get through the MOT?

There was a thread quite some time back were a couple of users found some wiring behind the switch and, IIRC, an Arduino board to control all the shenanigans. 😱

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Had same issue on mine. 1st of all continuous ESP light then cam the engine management light. How on earth can the 2 be related, but they are!

Replaced MAF with ne bosche one for a it £100 and problems solved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, MAF sensor cleaned, wheel speed sensor rotors checked and they are clean. Wheel speed sensor connectors opened up and cleaned with contact cleaner reconnected, all wiring appears intact.
Checked the plenum, some leaves and stuff but no moisture and drains are clear, so I think the ECU is ok.
Haven't done the steering sensor cal as I have leant my vagcom cable to a mate and we are in lock down for covid, so I can't go and get it.

I did discover the brake wear sensor cable flapping in the breeze so I'll try bridging that out but I suspect it is not relevant to the ESP. Have questioned this on another thread.

MOT is not an issue here in the land down under, our roads and maritime are not advanced enough to check OBD for faults. So I doubt that anyone has messed with the ESP electronics.

No ESP light in the last week but not much driving either. Will post again if i get a result either way.

Big thanks to everyone that has posted suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts