Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Just getting last minute plans sorted for our trip to Europe in 2 weeks and after any recommendations from people who may have done the trip before. We are away for three weeks and are going from Newcastle to Amsterdam - and back via the same journey.

I have put a couple of ideas below and would be grateful for people's thoughts;

From To Distance Time
Amsterdam Brussels Holland Belgium 205km 2.5 hours
Brussels Luxembourg Belgium Luxembourg 195km 2.75 hours
Luxembourg Nancy Luxembourg France 150km 1.75 hours
Nancy Lausanne France Switzerland 330km 5 hours
Lausanne Milan Switzerland Italy 330km 4 hours
Milan Pisa Italy Italy 280km 3 hours
Pisa Rome Italy Italy 350km 4.5 hours
Rome Naples Italy Italy 230km 2.5 hours
Naples Venice Italy Italy 730km 7.5 hours
Rome Venice Italy Italy 530km 5.75 hours
Venice Ljubjana Italy Slovenia 240km 3 hours
Ljubjana Vienna Slovenia Austria 380km 5 hours
Vienna Prague Austria Czech Rep 300km 4 hours
Prague Jelenia Gora Czech Rep Poland 165km 3 hours
Jelenia Gora Berlin Poland Germany 290km 4 hours
Berlin Billund Germany Denmark 570km 6.5 hours
Billund Amsterdam Denmark Holland 750km 8 hours

6025km 72.75hours

3765miles

From To Distance Time
Amsterdam Brussels Holland Belgium 205km 2.5 hours
Brussels Luxembourg Belgium Luxembourg 195km 2.75 hours
Luxembourg Nancy Luxembourg France 150km 1.75 hours
Nancy Lausanne France Switzerland 330km 5 hours
Lausanne Milan Switzerland Italy 330km 4 hours
Milan Pisa Italy Italy 280km 3 hours
Pisa Rome Italy Italy 350km 4.5 hours
Rome Venice Italy Italy 530km 5.75 hours
Venice Innsbruck Italy Austria 385km 4 hours
Innsbruck Vienna Austria Austra 475km 5 hours
Vienna Prague Austria Czech Rep 300km 4 hours
Prague Berlin Czech Rep Germany 350km 4 hours
Berlin Amsterdam Germany Holland 650km 6.75 hours

4530km 53 hours

2830miles

Also keen on ideas for how to spend my wife's 21st which will hopefully be spent in Lausanne (Switzerland). She has always wanted to do skiing and also likes horse riding. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Blimey, you have done your homework......

I have done 60% of the trips you have mentioned and have been to 90% of the cities you have planned.

Point 1: Good luck in Italy........
Point 2: Try to find hotels that have parking for the TT, especially in Italy.
Point 3: Unless your missus like cities, the fun in Europe lies in the small places, such as Monaco and Como.
Point 4: North France is not as pretty as the rest of your plans. Switzerland is amazing. Germnany is fun on the empty motorways, if you can find them, Denmark is cool but Copenhagen is very pretty, Amsterdam is the daddy and not just for the sex and drugs, Brussels is boring.

If i was in your shoes i would do trip No.2. Trip No 1 looks too long for 2 weeks. Take the TT before you go for a comprehensive service, including coil packs ( take one spare with you), fire extinguisher, and spare oil. TT will use about a litre per 1000 miles on these routes. Keep an average speed of 70mph and a cruising speed of about 100mph and you will get there a lot sooner than the times you have displayed. The 3.2 engine is more suited for long cruises i have to admit.

When are you going? I will be down these routes this July as well, on my way to Ancona...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slineTT said:
Blimey, you have done your homework......

I have done 60% of the trips you have mentioned and have been to 90% of the cities you have planned.

Point 1: Good luck in Italy........
Point 2: Try to find hotels that have parking for the TT, especially in Italy.
Point 3: Unless your missus like cities, the fun in Europe lies in the small places, such as Monaco and Como.
Point 4: North France is not as pretty as the rest of your plans. Switzerland is amazing. Germnany is fun on the empty motorways, if you can find them, Denmark is cool but Copenhagen is very pretty, Amsterdam is the daddy and not just for the sex and drugs, Brussels is boring.

If i was in your shoes i would do trip No.2. Trip No 1 looks too long for 2 weeks. Take the TT before you go for a comprehensive service, including coil packs ( take one spare with you), fire extinguisher, and spare oil. TT will use about a litre per 1000 miles on these routes. Keep an average speed of 70mph and a cruising speed of about 100mph and you will get there a lot sooner than the times you have displayed. The 3.2 engine is more suited for long cruises i have to admit.

When are you going? I will be down these routes this July as well, on my way to Ancona...
Thanks for this :D

We are taking my wife's Mini and not a TT.

Thanks for the 'luck in Italy'. I've heard its an experience...

We'll also hoping to camp alot so hope to find campsites where the tent can be pitched next to the car.

Really started to look forward to it now 8)

Also we are going in two weeks time for three weeks :p

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wallsendmag said:
Tip 1 : Borrow the R8 again "just going to fill it up lads" :lol: :lol:
You have no idea how tempting that would be

Apart from the dogs, after doing that I wouldn't have many reasons left to return though...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wallsendmag said:
Tip 2: Don't fill up at the Shell garage on the coast road near the ferry port its a rip off because it the last place to fill up before the ferry :wink:
I'll find a Tesco in Newcastle - might as well get some club card points although the Mini only takes about £30-£35 to fill.

·
Registered
26,074 Posts
RK07 said:
wallsendmag said:
Tip 2: Don't fill up at the Shell garage on the coast road near the ferry port its a rip off because it the last place to fill up before the ferry :wink:
I'll find a Tesco in Newcastle - might as well get some club card points although the Mini only takes about £30-£35 to fill.
Kingston Park is your best bet off the A1 at the airport turning :p

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wallsendmag said:
RK07 said:
wallsendmag said:
Kingston Park is your best bet off the A1 at the airport turning :p
Who needs HevNav? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Andy :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ah you are taking the Mini, and camping.

Camping is fine but personally I would find these kind of distances too long in a Mini. But that's just me. To give you the perspective of the distances, we started driving from Como, (border Italy-Switzerland) at 11:00am and reached Calais 10:00 pm. 700 miles with an average of 70mph.

Italy is bad for the traffic and the drivers' behaviour. They will talgate you in a crapy little Diesel Alfa Romeo in the pouring rain. I am Greek and I have seen bad driving but nothing like the Italians.

You will have fun anyway. Europe is a small place..... and without speed cameras in every corner........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.