Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says, is anyone selling a chinafold? As a good one seems to be hard to come by now … as thinking about putting a Hybrid CHRA in as the engine is out atm, but I can’t find an exhaust manifold! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
There's bundles in Aliexpress

Maybe a bit of a lottery? I would go for the most expensive ? If that's a thing...

Vertebrate Mammal Organism Font Automotive tire

·
Registered
9,906 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What do you guys think about using the Relentless V4 as they seem easier to get hold of. I’ve also seen some people have managed to reinforce them as I know these like to crack?

There is also the Direnza manifold which seems to be a v4 copy?

As my car is apart atm I’m trying to find upgrades to put in just to be efficient with the engine being out. Unfortunately seems to be the wrong time to be looking for the manifold.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
They crack, that's why people use chinafolds.

The only thing I had with my chinafold, is after I upgraded to a decent hybrid turbo... I think the chinafold hit a limit, as I only ported it to a stock hotside.. that was a lot smaller than the AET, so I reported it to match and fingers crossed it'll make a difference.

I think Bill is trying to push people to the g25++ style turbos and ignitron ECUs as they are probably the best setups around... rather than people taking the stage 1, 2, hybrid then big turbo steps. Skipping straight to a big turbo and decent ECU .. its far better than wringing those final few horses out of a turbo generating so much heat, boost and back pressure, and once you get to these AET hybrids, instead of the stock turbo running out of boost after 5500rpm they keep generating pressure, but the car cannot swallow it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Are you trying to keep it looking oem? If your after more power but not bother about keeping it looking oem in the engine bay than as Stuart has said Bill will and I'm sure others that have gone s1-3, then hybrid, then big turbo will say just skip the k04 stages and go big turbo. If your existing K04 is ok (littke play on the shaft and hotside not cracked) and existing manifold also uncracked then these can be sold on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ill be taking my k04 hybrid off soon and buying a v band mani from bill, no way am i using a chinafold, for what an extra 50 bhp

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
Pretty sure none of the manifolds on Badger 5 site are for K04 framed turbos. They have them for 1.8t 20v... but not for our little turbos.

Maybe I missed something?

To be fair if anyone is considering paying 1k for a manifold, then assuming you have rods and a reasonable motor, get a g25 and get 450bhp at 1 bar boost :D
What is the big push for "ECU Master" kit, on B5 - is that to build everything from scratch...? Really ignitron need to get their production issues sorted out .. they are rarer than Megazoid for Christmas 27 years ago. Or a Wii when my mate got 2 from his pal at HMV Oxford Street on Christmas Eve 2006...Jesus its a Christmas miracle....

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have the option to waste most of my savings and go for 500 plus, but then an rs4 makes 440 with zero mods, and, its a propper car !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From all of this I think I’ll just have to risk it which a chinafold and see how it goes, as I’m looking for 350 ish, and as I have most of the upgrades for the k04 it seems silly to have to replace everything again to get a BT when I’m not that fussed by one.
If the chinafold works out I’ll probably have a look at getting the k04-380 hybrid that badger 5 sells.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts