Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The middle and south parts of the US has been enduring record high temperatures. 40.5C yesterday for the high in fact, and it will be continuing for a few more weeks.

First, some observations when running my 2012 TT 2.0TFSI in this hot weather:
  • The suspension (magnetic ride) feels a bit softer.
    The crappy Bridgestone Potenza's actually feel better, with a more compliant ride over ridges and concrete joints.
    The car has less power (typical for exteme temps with a turbo'd car I believe)
    The S-Tronic gearbox doesn't shift smoothly, especially when pushing it hard

Concerns:

• Will running the engine hard in extreme heat harm anything? Ruin the turbo?
    Will it lose fluids more rapidly?
    Should I have it serviced sooner than recommended?
    WIll the summer tires wear faster due to heat alone?
    Should I try to stay out of turbo-boost by keeping my RPM's low when it's extremely hot outside?

This is my first true sports car, and my first turbo engine. I tried a bit of googling for my concerns, but didn't find anything specific about a turbo'd TT and any problems with extreme summer heat. So, I'm turning to my TT experts on the forum for some advice, which I have no doubt will be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I feel sure the car will cope with 40 degree heat far better than I could.

I wouldn't worry about it, engine and turbo run far hotter than 40 even in Aberfreeze! Turbos are far more reliable than they used to be. IMHO best to avoid revving the nuts of any car from cold and best to let a turbo spin for a few minutes at a moderate speed before switching off the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.