Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My fan was stopping on when my engine was cut and it would run the battery right down and I would have to boost/jump start her.
I got the fan switch changed and she was OK for a few week but I came to her yesterday and the fans were running even though the keys were in my pocket!

I've been told it could be the control module (the part that is supposed to be telling the fans to come on/off). Will this be the case?

Getting a bit fed up at the minute (having a bad day)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
225 Posts
May be a bit basic but have you checked the fuses..... I had a similar issue with a blown fuse no 16 or 15 I think, worth a check?!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi :)

Never thought a out it being a fuse. I will have a look. The only fuse I was tinkering with was above the battery under the bonnet (or where the battery would be as I have the QS).
I will have a look and see if it is a fuse (going to Halfrauds on the way home for jump leads so will her a fuse if need be).

Cheers

If anybody else has any other ideas then I'm ready and listening :)

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi Sploits, Are these 2 fuses for Fan control module & fans O.K.

Hoggy. :D

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
Hi Sploits, I was told that if the fuse on big cable to fan module was blown,fans would continue to run so it was worth a look.
No corrosion or burning around that fuse ?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just taken her for a spin around the block with the radiator cap off to try and remove any airlocks that might have been the issue. The fans are still sitting running!
I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and get the control module ordered and fitted. I guess its the module telling the fan to stay on continuosly and in the process kill my battery.

For now I will just have to keep removing the green fuse above the battery to help save my battery until I can get the part and have it fitted :(

·
Administrator
95,337 Posts
Hi Sploits, As it was O.K. when fan switch was first replaced, could it be a dodgy switch that has failed again.
Would it be easier/cheaper to replace fan temp switch again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checked fuse 16 and replaced it to no avail :-(

The weird thing with the switch was I unplugged the battery when it first started happening (with old switch in). The following morning I popped the battery back on and the fan kicked in for 5 seconds then knocked off. I drove it and left the car all day and when I started her back up she was fine. It was then when I got the switch replaced and it continued to be fine until now.

Is there any diagnostics that could tell where the problem lies?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Rory,

I'm not sure where the old switch will now be. The job was done at my mates garage so I'm assuming its been thrown out :-(

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Morning all,

I have taken the plunge and bought a new fan control module (£40 delivered from eBay).

Is it easy to fit? I have had a search about various forums and the general jist is that it is located under the battery. As I have the QS and the battery is in the boot it was easier for me to look under where the battery should have been but I can't seem to see where it should be. Does anybody have a better explanation or possibly any photos as to where the little bugger lives?

Thanks for everybodys help so far :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that Matty, it looks like it might be a bugger to get to/off. My TT is booked into my mates garage for Friday so I will have a look at removing it myself and if that fails she can get sorted properly on Friday :)

Thanks again

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Gunner,

I can be quite handy with a spanner (honest!).

I will have a look tonight and see if I can spot it from looking through the battery cover (or remove it if need be). If my socket set can get in there I will take it off and pop it back on (so that I know what I'm doing).

Thanks for the advice :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts