Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My engine management light came on, and the car has been juddering at idle.

The fault codes from the scan have revealed:

17704 P1296 - Malfunction in cooling system

and

18010 P1602 - Power supply (B+) terminal 30 : low voltage

My questions are:

1) which of these would cause the juddering and
2) what needs to be done to be to correct it ie new battery?

I am driving to Loughborough on Saturday and need to do whatever work I can tomorrow to rectify this. As always any advice or suggestions would be like gold dust!!

Thanks,
Subhaan.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Coilpack?

Does the engine seem hot? Is there plenty of coolant in the tank and or check the oil level and oil colour in case its a head gasket blown.

Ive heard of a blown coilpack throwing up some odd fault codes so it might be only that.

Hope you get it sorted mate

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
antcole said:
Coilpack?

Does the engine seem hot? Is there plenty of coolant in the tank and or check the oil level and oil colour in case its a head gasket blown.

Ive heard of a blown coilpack throwing up some odd fault codes so it might be only that.

Hope you get it sorted mate
I'm guessing from the 'malfunction in cooling system' fault that the engine may probably be hot. Will check the oil shortly.

How would I know which coilpack it would be tho mate?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
You will need to pop the cover off the top of the engine and physically unplug each multi plug, one at a time and listen for the change in engine note.

If you pop one off and the engine doesnt change in note then thats the one.

Its a common issue and theyre about 25 quid from the dealers.

Good luck and i hope you find something

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate, I will get down to the stealers tomorrow and get hold of a coilpack to to do some trial and error.

Had a look at the engime oil - level seemed good and colour was light ( apparently if the head gasket is out the oil will be dark? ). I did have an oil and filter change a few weeks back, so I am really hoping its the coilpack - again could this affect the cooling of the engine? If not I will check the coolant level too.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Id wait until youve identified a poorly coil pack before you buy one... it might not be that, however, if it is then if you can stretch yourself for all four then its probably a good move.
I tend to think that if one is gone, the others might not be far behind.

With the cooling malfunction code showing, a couple of questions -
Is your temp gauge bang on 90 degrees and stays there during driving? Its supposed to be 90 and if the thermostat is a bit tired it will fluctuate slowly between 50 and 90+ degrees.
It could also be a faulty temp sender unit, thus the coolant malfunction or error.

Have you lost coolant or do you need to top up regularly?

The malfunction in cooling system could be unrelated to the engine running rough and as you have now scanned for codes, its showing up now.

If its rough through all engine speeds and especially idle, then id be looking more to the ignition system or checking round the various hoses as some of these could affect the engines performance drastically if cracked or blown.

In the mean time, check the temp on the gauge and dont cane the girl until you have found the cause.

Good luck mate

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
antcole said:
Id wait until youve identified a poorly coil pack before you buy one... it might not be that, however, if it is then if you can stretch yourself for all four then its probably a good move.
I tend to think that if one is gone, the others might not be far behind.

With the cooling malfunction code showing, a couple of questions -
Is your temp gauge bang on 90 degrees and stays there during driving? Its supposed to be 90 and if the thermostat is a bit tired it will fluctuate slowly between 50 and 90+ degrees.
It could also be a faulty temp sender unit, thus the coolant malfunction or error.

Have you lost coolant or do you need to top up regularly?

The malfunction in cooling system could be unrelated to the engine running rough and as you have now scanned for codes, its showing up now.

If its rough through all engine speeds and especially idle, then id be looking more to the ignition system or checking round the various hoses as some of these could affect the engines performance drastically if cracked or blown.

In the mean time, check the temp on the gauge and dont cane the girl until you have found the cause.

Good luck mate
The thermostat has recently been replaced and is currently showing between 50 and 90 - hasn't hit 90 in a while in fact.

Coolant seems to be fine - no loss I believe. I've had some breather hose issues - in fact Wak advised me during my remap to get it all replaced, so my thoughts could be swaying towards that. The juddering is only on idle not through the gears - she drives a dream at the moment. Saying that I have kept my foot right off the loud pedal and will certainly do so until it's sorted.

Thanks for your help again mate - I will take some time to get it looked over tomorrow for sure :)

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Have you recently disconnected the battery at all? That will throw up that code straight away saying voltage too low. Might not actually be a duff battery.

Nick

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The battery has been disconnected twice on separate occasions recently for work on the car.

When they scanned the car yesterday I think they wiped the fault codes as there is no light anymore. I don't think its anything sinister like the gasket, but maybe a faulty coilpack then, or at worst dud battery...?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about the battery fault code right now, your battery might be on its way out etc... or whoever worked on your car last might have forgotten to clear the codes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.